Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk Runes!

Hey,
    so I am working on making my own set of runes. I really did not want to buy them, because I think when something is made by your
    own hands it is more "powerful", lets say I just feel more connected to self made items.
    So I am planning on making them out of wood. I have read numerous articles/books about this and came across one site that sparked curiosity!
    The article mentioned dying the runes after they have been carved (with a knife, wood burner what ever you choose really)...
    the point that struck the "whaaaaat??" in me was what they were dying the runes with....blood....your own blood...
    it didn't mention why though, and I really cant find anything written on why...I am guessing to make them YOURS...like very very
    personal YOURS...and in a book I've read, that back in the old days, they also used urine...
    Now I dont think I am going to take my Runes to the urine level, maybe the blood level if there is a good reason. I am curious of what other people did and why.
    So here the question: Did any of you make your own Runes, and if so..out of what material and what did you do with them (carving, dying etc)?
    I hope You all have a great day!!
    Greetings

Re: Lets talk Runes!

i never made a set of runes, but i carved my athame from scratch out of wood, now where one would usually concecrate it with saliva or tears, i used my own blood (and i know someones is going to take a serious problem with that), the reason being the athame is an extension of myself into the spiritual world, so it should be imbued with my life force, for me my blood is my life force.

i know its not exactly the same as runes, but i hope this helps in some way

Comment

I always understood that the runes were painted with red ochre, and it was red to symbolize the individual's blood. But the painting with blood isn't a new thing to my ears either.

Comment

Yes, blood is quite common. Many people use it.
        If you're going to make your own set of runes, decide first of all which set - because there are several. I like the Anglo-Saxon ones, although I've also used the Elder Futhark. The thing to remember is that the rune poems do not actually cover the Elder Futhark, though they do cover other sets.

And please please please don't be tempted to include the wyrd rune. I strongly suspect this is a modern idea, it doesn't appear anywhere in the old rune poems, and if you must have a blank rune I would urge you just to keep it as a spare rather than using it to do a reading.

All that said, I love the runes, and best of luck with your set!
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I've never seen the wyrd rune or the blank rune mentioned in any texts other than Blum's, although I have been told I live in a cave more oft than not. *shrugs*

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
            I've never seen the wyrd rune or the blank rune mentioned in any texts other than Blum's, although I have been told I live in a cave more oft than not. *shrugs*
            I think it's a Blum thing too, but I do sometimes come across people who insist otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by Kahlenda View Post
              i never made a set of runes, but i carved my athame from scratch out of wood, now where one would usually concecrate it with saliva or tears, i used my own blood (and i know someones is going to take a serious problem with that), the reason being the athame is an extension of myself into the spiritual world, so it should be imbued with my life force, for me my blood is my life force.

i know its not exactly the same as runes, but i hope this helps in some way
              it did help indeed, thanks allot!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
              If you're going to make your own set of runes, decide first of all which set - because there are several. I like the Anglo-Saxon ones, although I've also used the Elder Futhark. The thing to remember is that the rune poems do not actually cover the Elder Futhark, though they do cover other sets.

And please please please don't be tempted to include the wyrd rune. I strongly suspect this is a modern idea, it doesn't appear anywhere in the old rune poems, and if you must have a blank rune I would urge you just to keep it as a spare rather than using it to do a reading.

i was planning on making the anglo-saxon runes...i like them allot. i am btw going to leave out the wyrd rune, because i also have noticed it not being mentioned in allot of texts and books. plus i kinda don't see the point in it anyway, just doesn't feel right to me. thanks for the great reply, this helped allot.

- - - Updated - - -

I always understood that the runes were painted with red ochre, and it was red to symbolize the individual's blood. But the painting with blood isn't a new thing to my ears either.
              lol i had to look up what red ochre is...i haven't heard of it before. this (i suppose) would be a good option, for those not wanting to use blood?! and im guessing one would buy the powder or the pressed powder sticks (grind them up) mixed with water?? then paint the runes...hmmmm and one could perhaps put a few drops of blood into the mixture...alternately if one didnt want to draw god knows how much blood to cover the entire rune set.

- - - Updated - - -

I only know onesies and twosies of things i can do with runes. do you use runes allot? and for allot of different things?
              Last edited by Guest; 07 May 2013, 06:51.

Comment

I've made my own runes.

I took a stick from a maple tree, and cut it into little rounds, which I sanded, and I woodburned the runes (elder futhark for me) onto them. To finish them, I varnished them with olive oil and beeswax mixed together. That was 3 years ago, and they're still awesome. For consecration, I don't even remember what I did - but I suspect I just let them sit on my altar with the candles and incense lit for an evening. Because I'm a lazy pagan that way.

Eff this blood nonsense. I like my blood inside of me.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilium of the Valley View Post

I only know onesies and twosies of things i can do with runes. do you use runes allot? and for allot of different things?
                  Mostly I use them for divination, sometimes for inspiration... some people use them in magic, others to make amulets and talismans... see what you feel most drawn to do!

Comment

lol i had to look up what red ochre is...i haven't heard of it before. this (i suppose) would be a good option, for those not wanting to use blood?! and im guessing one would buy the powder or the pressed powder sticks (grind them up) mixed with water?? then paint the runes...hmmmm and one could perhaps put a few drops of blood into the mixture...alternately if one didnt want to draw god knows how much blood to cover the entire rune set.
                    That's pretty much the gist of it, although I think most of what I've read says mix it with linseed (??) oil or something? I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I sold those books.

Comment

That's pretty much the gist of it, although I think most of what I've read says mix it with linseed (??) oil or something? I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I sold those books.
                      Linseed would be correct. It was traditionally mixed with oil/fat.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                        Linseed would be correct. It was traditionally mixed with oil/fat.
                        okay thanks much!

Comment

Linseed has a hardening effect, especially on wood. (They use it to oil and strengthen cricket bats ) It can completely gum up anything mechanical, as I found out once when I tried to oil an old fashioned typewriter with it.

If you're using pure pigment, another organic option is egg yolk which was used in tempera paintings. It sets rocks hard, believe it or not.

Comment

Linseed has a hardening effect, especially on wood. (They use it to oil and strengthen cricket bats ) It can completely gum up anything mechanical, as I found out once when I tried to oil an old fashioned typewriter with it.

If you're using pure pigment, another organic option is egg yolk which was used in tempera paintings. It sets rocks hard, believe it or not.
                            so i would cut the discs, carve/wood burn them...then rub scrambled egg yolk over them? just making sure im not misunderstanding. or rub linseed over them...or the pigment mixed with linseed correct?

Comment

so i would cut the discs, carve/wood burn them...then rub scrambled egg yolk over them? just making sure im not misunderstanding. or rub linseed over them...or the pigment mixed with linseed correct?
                              No, not scrambled eggs (not sure if I mean the same thing by this so will try and explain) you use raw egg yolk mixed with pigment to create a paint. Don't use the yolk on the wood otherwise, only with pigment to make a paint.

If you cut wooden discs, you could use linseed with the pigment instead, or you could use linseed in order to strengthen the runes by just rubbing it in (it can take ages to dry).

You don't have to use blood to paint the runes - a drop on each would suffice as part of an empowering ritual, and you could paint or burn the symbols onto the runes themselves.

Menstrual blood would probably be quite acceptable if you don't want to cut yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X