How to make a dino-chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make a dino-chicken

A while back I posted an article about a group of scientists who were able to insert the DNA of an extinct frog species into a frog egg, and return the species to life. I thought that was cool...

... but take a look at this -

How to Hatch a Dinosaur

This guy wants to re-activate dormant genes in chickens to create ativisms - throwbacks to earlier stages of evolution.

Since chickens evolved from raptor-like dinos, he should end up like something that is a dino-chicken.

Here's a link to his TED Talk -

Jack Horner: Building a dinosaur from a chicken
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 09 May 2013, 08:34.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: How to make a dino-chicken

OK Raptors are seriously scary Mofo's if this succeeds we'll be over run by mini chicken raptors, i think i just refound my jurrassic park nightmares *gulp* well sorta anyway lol

Comment

While I'm a dinosauraphile, I seriously question the wisdom behind resurrecting long-extinct species. We're already taking more & more resources away from the creatures that live on earth in the here and now. There are already too many dogs, cats & exotics that end up in shelters or euthanized because people get them when they're 'cute' and get tired of caring for them when they're adults. We really don't need a novelty creature just because science can make one.

They should stick to making glow-in-the-dark livestock and get to work on those damned hover-cars!
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

with this research they can possibly restore animals that went extinct because of man or are going extinct as there are only one species left or only one sex left. also to possibly re-populate animals which are endangered also.
        Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

LOL my African Grey parrot says "I'm a dinosaur". I believe the theory that birds evolved from dinos and I taught him that years ago. He also says (this was a bit mean but it's funny): "I'm chicken. Want some? Mmm-mmm good."

A real dino-chicken would be pretty scary. I don't think we should really be messing with all that....
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by lightdragon View Post
            with this research they can possibly restore animals that went extinct because of man or are going extinct as there are only one species left or only one sex left. also to possibly re-populate animals which are endangered also.
            Creatures go extinct every day without human intervention. Some creatures, like pandas, probably should go extinct but aren't because of human intervention. Bringing back animals that aren't suited for today's earth just makes no sense. I understand scientific curiosity, but you can do so much today with computer modeling that making IRL dinosaurs seems kind of obsolete.

Comment

Not a dinosaur, but I still feel like this is relevant...

Mostly art.

Comment

I don't care if there is any big payoff for this thing - I just think it is cool, and can't wait until I can get dino-chickens on chick day at Tractor Supply...

I suspect that they will take care of my raccoon problem.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It is pretty nifty but I question how wise it is too. I *assume* they arn't going to be releasing any prehistoric creature into the ecosystem so I don't see too much of a problem with them keeping them to study because there's large amounts of possibility in it. Maybe some prehistoric creature can breed rapidly with use of few resources and replace cattle as livestock or maybe some long extinct fern produces an enzyme that could cure a disease. The possibilities are huge and the opportunity for research in the evolution and biology of prehistoric animals is huge.
                  Circe

Comment

Nat'l Geographic had an article in April that mentioned an ecologist, Sergey Zimov, who is trying to recreate the Siberian steppes. He's been bringing in horses, musk oxen, and other large mammals into an area of tundra he's named 'Pleistocene Park' and he's actively hoping that the scientists working on recreating extinct species are able to clone mammoths so he can release them into the Siberian wilds. Zimov's theory is that the mammoths will be able to change the mossy, unproductive tundra back into grasslands.

So yeah, there are people out there that want de-extincted species to be turned loose.

Comment

It's hard to say what the effects might be of re-activating pseudogenes in the chicken genome. It might produce changes in the body that are harmful or painful. Even if you produce something that's remotely dinosaurian, unless you identify genes that somehow influence temperament, you'll end up with a creature that acts like a chicken. You know, except for the fact that it's very confused as to why it has sharp teeth and a long tail. Not to say the idea isn't tempting...
                      If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahlenda View Post
                        OK Raptors are seriously scary Mofo's if this succeeds we'll be over run by mini chicken raptors, i think i just refound my jurrassic park nightmares *gulp* well sorta anyway lol
                        hahahaha this just cracked me up! lol

Comment

Working...
                        X