Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After Death

Lilium of the Valley

Question After Death

So..what do you think happens after we die?? we are reincarnated, we simply cease to exist?! We go to a special place and exist there with the gods...or maybe we stay on earth as ghosts and
    talk to/help/haunt other people?! lol

Apr 2013
    Religion
    Scientific Pantheist
    Phrase
    "Interesting"

Re: After Death

Personally i believe that our essence (soul, spirit) leaves the body, the body goes back to nature reusing the energy stored in it. and our essence goes back to the "source" (universal energy) here it becomes one with the source compleatly we cease to exist but our memories and knowledge live on within the source, but at some point some of our energy goes into creating rocks and tree's or animals or human.s or planets and stars and so on and so forth.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Personally, I imagine that one gets one life, then nothing.

This is why it is so important to live well in this life, rather than speculating about what reward or punishment one might receive after death.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Lilium of the Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlenda View Post
    Personally i believe that our essence (soul, spirit) leaves the body, the body goes back to nature reusing the energy stored in it. and our essence goes back to the "source" (universal energy) here it becomes one with the source compleatly we cease to exist but our memories and knowledge live on within the source, but at some point some of our energy goes into creating rocks and tree's or animals or human.s or planets and stars and so on and so forth.
    very interesting point of view!! thanks for sharing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post

This is why it is so important to live well in this life, rather than speculating about what reward or punishment one might receive after death.
    this reminds me of what my father use to say to me "you only go around the block once, so do it full out and all the way around"
    i've found myself thinking this too, but i want to and believe in something so much more then just "getting eaten by worms".....
    i think i find myself too sad about thinking this may be the outcome. i respect that, when people are able to just look at death and just see it as an end
    and thats all.

Nov 2012
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Pantheist
    Phrase
    My path is neither dark nor light, it simply is

I agree with Kahlenda's view as well. I read an interesting book by Deepak Chopra the other week: "Life After Death - The Book of Answers" exploring different cultures' views on death and the afterlife, theories on karma and the soul, etc. His main premise was that after death we go to whatever our consciousness imagined the afterlife to be. Check it out if you can find it, it's a worthwhile read.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post

I agree with Corbin. I used to believe in reincarnation, but after a while, I realized how silly that sounds. Now, I don't believe there is anything after we die. We don't become ghosts, our souls don't live on, we don't come back as a butterfly, or go to heaven.

We simply cease to be.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Bronze Member iflewoverthecuckoosnest's Avatar
    Dec 2012
    Religion
    Searching, drawn to Mayan mythology and Eastern Religions
    Phrase
    Sri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram Sita Ram Sita Ram.

I have no idea what happens after death, and I don't think anyone can truly know unless they are dead and in an afterlife of some sort. Whether or not there is a metaphysical afterlife, I do think that death is part of the universal cycles of death and rebirth. Your body goes into the ground and is reborn as fertilized soil, plants, energy for worms who enrich the Earth, etc. etc. If there is something after death, I imagine it involves reincarnation.
    In the end, I'll certainly never know for sure as long as I'm alive, so I just enjoy my time here, do good for those around me, and make peace with the fact that one day, I will die, and that may very well be the end of my conscious existence.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Serious Answer: haven't got a clue
    there are things I'd hope for but I'm not sure one way or another

Fun answer:

*puts on eldritch horror hat*

Death? What's death? When I get bored of this avatar, I'll fashion an upgraded meatpuppet and continue to troll earth and collect pizza ingredients...
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Apr 2013
    Religion
    Celtic Polytheism
    Phrase
    Stories are some of the best things in the world.

I do believe in an afterlife of sorts. I believe we have spirits and those spirits are released on death and it is our choice whether we continue on in the Otherworld or whether we reincarnate. Despite how silly some may think it sounds, I find it both a comforting thought and one that makes sense with the rest of my spiritual beliefs and experiences.

Mar 2013
    Religion
    Celtic Panentheist
    Phrase
    Live like you might die tomorrow--but so you won't be ashamed if you don't.

When I was a child, I died. I was clinically dead (including zero brain activity). They unhooked me and left the room. I followed them out the door, down a hallway, through a set of double doors... into an office... and there, they argued. I heard every word they said. They were FAR out of the range of my hearing, believe me.

Then, someone appeared beside me, and took me on a trip. It was quite the experience. I got to meet that Great Infinite Intelligence that created everything. I got to revel in it, swim in it, exist in it, talk to it...

After that, the first being brought me back to my body. We talked for a moment and I returned to my body and lived again.

I experience only certainty that we go on when we die. And we remain self-aware.