Yoga enthusiasts here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoga enthusiasts here?

I've just get started with yoga so I can't give much advice with it, but I was wondering if there's other people doing yoga here? I'm taking beginner's courses of hatha and ashtanga yoga (at the moment I prefer ashtanga, hatha doesn't give a feeling of really doing something). Anyhow, I'm not sure if I can keep up with it after it gets more difficult and more physical. It's been quite easy for now - extra breathing breaks etc.

Well, the main reason I started this topic is that I was curious about other types of yoga. For example kundalini yoga. I was wondering if some of you have been doing it and how you think about it? Have you tried different types and how did you like them? Which one do you prefer and why?

My smaller problem concerns yoga mats. I've been planning to by my own one since there are no real mats at the hatha yoga place and I don't like the ones at the ashtanga course. But I don't know if I should buy a thin or a thick one and how do I know if the mat will be solid or not... I also have a problem that my hands and feet begin to slide on the mats at the ashtanga place and if I buy my own one, I don't want that to happen. > And if there's really that much difference between mats costing 20 euros and mats which cost something like 60+ euros.

Re: Yoga enthusiasts here?

No time to respond very well right now, as I'm about to rush out the door, but - I've done kundalini yoga, and thin yoga mats are the way to go. (I'll respond better later!)

Mostly art.

Comment

Hmm.. Okay, thanks for the tip. Do you think it's still "comfortable" to do for example that neck-shoulders standing with a thin mat? I wrote "comfortable" because of course it's not compeletely comfortable to have your neck and chest etc. in that position, but like, doesn't it hurt with a really thin one? Or what about the swan asana? Doesn't it hurt in your knees with a thin one? (and is thin like 4 or 4,5 mm or 3?)

Comment

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=704.msg10842#msg10842 date=1289234329]
        Hmm.. Okay, thanks for the tip. Do you think it's still "comfortable" to do for example that neck-shoulders standing with a thin mat? I wrote "comfortable" because of course it's not compeletely comfortable to have your neck and chest etc. in that position, but like, doesn't it hurt with a really thin one? Or what about the swan asana? Doesn't it hurt in your knees with a thin one? (and is thin like 4 or 4,5 mm or 3?)
        [/quote]

Sorry, I didn't get home until late last night and I forgot about this thread.

I can't do either one of the poses you're talking about (holy crap, those look hard!) - my mat is one of those super thin roll up ones, like this:

And yes, I do find it hurts my knees, but I have a bad knee from a couple of surgeries I've had, so I cannot kneel for extended periods of time without discomfort anyhow, regardless of what I'm kneeling on. I actually haven't done yoga in a few years, but I'm thinking of attending a hatha class tomorrow (which is why I asked you on heiaheia about it) but when I did kundalini a few years back, we used those super thick gym mats (several cm) and I found them to be too soft, which is why I bought the thin one like I have.

I'm sorry if this wasn't really much help

Mostly art.

Comment

Oh, it was helpful, thanks. I was actually thinking of buying a thinner one too, but I was a bit afraid of it.. Like if they're ment for "pros" who already know their stuff and can do really weird things even without a mat. xD

(And i was talking about these two, so they are not too difficult.. :P Swan and Shoulder stand.)

And sorry, I hadn't noticed the question in heiaheia. :-[ I haven't read my email lately so I haven't seen the message about new comments. *goes to heiaheia to chech her messages*

Comment

I prefer the one like V showed as well....but TBH, if the floor where I do yoga wasn't so COLD, I'd probably just do it on the floor!
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=704.msg10862#msg10862 date=1289238750]
              (And i was talking about these two, so they are not too difficult.. :P Swan and Shoulder stand.)
              [/quote]

Oh. I looked about on the internet, and all I found for the swan asana was insane weird standing/bending poses. I don't really think it'd be too bad on a thin mat - I mean, part of yoga is about discipline anyhow, yes?

Mostly art.

Comment

TBH, you can always go with a towel for something you need extra padding for as well.

Because of my carpal tunnel, I have issues with anything weight-bearing where my wrist will be at a 90 degree angle for--so cobra, downward facing dog, etc are pretty damn painful for me. Instead, I use a pair of handweights--they are heavy enough to be stable and it means I can hold my hands straight in those poses.

Sort of like this:

(but MUCH cheaper than buying the perfect push-up thingy)
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

I also like the thin mat, and find it comfortable enough for most poses.

It has taken me a year since my carpal tunnel surgery to be able to do a lot of the moves again , but the hand-weights idea is great!
                  What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

i wish i had the patience for yoga... i am a pilates girl
                    sigpic

Comment

[quote author=LiadanWillows link=topic=704.msg11346#msg11346 date=1289357259]
                      i wish i had the patience for yoga... i am a pilates girl
                      [/quote]

I have no idea how's pilates, but I wouldn't say you need patience to ashtanga yoga for example. I'm really not the most patient kind of a person and that's why I get a bit bored in hatha yoga sometimes, but that has never happened in ashtanga class. (Ashtanga is more physical and "faster" type of yoga than many others.)

Comment

im going to have to google that!
                        sigpic

Comment

I like the thin yoga mats because you can balance on them better. The thick mats are too squishy and cause me to fall over!

I don't find either of the poses you posted to be too uncomfortable with the thin mat. Especially the swan one, that one is one of my faaaaaavorites! But I thought that was called a pigeon pose... maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing.

Just my $.02!

Comment

[quote author=Veronica link=topic=704.msg11696#msg11696 date=1289428939]
                            Especially the swan one, that one is one of my faaaaaavorites! But I thought that was called a pigeon pose... maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing.
                            [/quote]

Could be matter of translation and language too? I know it in Finnish only and it's a swan pose directly translated. Also, I think we were taught it's a swan both when your upper body is up and you're leaning to your hands and when you lean forward after that (seen in the picture). Could it be that the first one is known as a swan in general and the second one (in the picture) as a pigeon? Also.. we keep our hands near us and don't straighten our arms like in the picture. But i thought it's the same one as your legs are exactly on the same way.

Comment

Went to hatha yoga last night for the first time - I liked it! It's very similar to kundalini.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                              X