Using Blood in Your Craft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Blood in Your Craft

I feel very compelled toward this as an offering. How better to secure my intent than to actually give of myself? The greatest offering I could possibly give would be a sample of the very source of my human form: blood. Only my blood.

Am I crazy for finding this an alluring idea? It's not like I mix blood or anything, I'm a solitary, and I'm not ingesting it (even though I could, since it's mine), etc.

A single drop seems appropriate to me, or any number of drops.

Does anyone else use blood in their walk? If so, how do you procure it? I'd love to hear.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Re: Using Blood in Your Craft

I don't use blood in my magic or offerings but I see nothing wrong with it. I think it really brings tradition back to the old ways. I've thought about it and other forms of blood magic, but I did enough self-mutilation (I know this is not what you mean) as a kid, so I am kind of over the idea of spilling more blood, at least for now.

I think it is a great way to show your appreciation and a great way to stay connected and lend power to your rites.

Comment

I've only ever used blood in necromancy, mostly because my deities aren't particularly bloodthirsty. I know of people who use many different bodily fluids in rituals and spells so whatever floats your boat. If you're looking to buy blood you can usually get some from your local butcher or an online supplier.
      Circe

Comment

I use my blood as a sacrifice to Artemis. It is recorded that males sacrificed blood via stealing of the cheese and being flogged at Orthia outside of Sparta. Blood was sacrificed to the Taurian Artemis via human sacrifice and later at the sanctuary at Brauron outside of Athens. Blood was utilized as sacrifice in Aracia when Diana's cult became conflated with Artemis and the story or Orestes, the Rex Nemorensis who later moved to Sparta around the 2nd century AD. While not widely seen I have seen references to blood sacrifice at Syracuse in her association to Arethusa. Occasionally one see's reference to blood sacrifice to Artemis as Pontia Theron Mistress of animals via the placenta blood and fertility. Though I do not recall the source anymore I have seen a reference to a similar usage of blood at Bauron and its association as a birthing sanctuary and offering of blood for a safe birthing. Then of course there is complete sacrifice to Artemis at Ephesus / Ephesos which included blood.

Occasionally I include Hecate / Hekate in the sacrifice of blood but not to often.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I use blood, but only very carefully. I would never use it as an offering to a spirit or deity; far too much risk involved. But for magicks, sure, if the matter is serious enough to require that kind of thing. It has many uses. Generally if the need arose, I'd use a sterilized needle (such as a sewing needle) or sharp blade to either prick a finger or create a small cut. You don't want a dull blade, because you'll have to exert more pressure and there's risk that you'll accidentally cut deeper than you intended to. And you'll want to cut in a place that's relatively safe so as to avoid longterm damage.

Also, other parts of yourself can be given, depending on the intent and situation and stuff. Fresh snippets of your hair, fingernails, eyelashes, saliva, and so on and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by PsykhikosAnarchosNautikos View Post
            I don't use blood in my magic or offerings but I see nothing wrong with it. I think it really brings tradition back to the old ways. I've thought about it and other forms of blood magic, but I did enough self-mutilation (I know this is not what you mean) as a kid, so I am kind of over the idea of spilling more blood, at least for now.

I think it is a great way to show your appreciation and a great way to stay connected and lend power to your rites.
            I agree wholeheartedly (and am glad that you're no longer in a place to wastefully spill your blood -hugs- ). There is something about the ancient feeling, something about it that somehow doesn't FEEL like blood magic, if you know what I'm saying. It seems like the neutral side of "darkness," simply because I had to suffer to give it, which is ultimately why it makes such a good sacrifice/offering/ingredient. In my person taste, anyway.

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
            I've only ever used blood in necromancy, mostly because my deities aren't particularly bloodthirsty. I know of people who use many different bodily fluids in rituals and spells so whatever floats your boat. If you're looking to buy blood you can usually get some from your local butcher or an online supplier.
            Haha, I'm glad to know you're not serving warmongers. This is excellent advice too - there are times when I would like more blood but I don't want to needlessly slaughter anything, nor am I interested in spilling that much of my own! Thanks for the tips.

And please, obviously, tell me ALL about your use of the blood in your magic. Have you used other animals' blood in your rites? What is the purpose of offering blood that is not yours? I'm fascinated.

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            I use my blood as a sacrifice to Artemis. It is recorded that males sacrificed blood via stealing of the cheese and being flogged at Orthia outside of Sparta. Blood was sacrificed to the Taurian Artemis via human sacrifice and later at the sanctuary at Brauron outside of Athens. Blood was utilized as sacrifice in Aracia when Diana's cult became conflated with Artemis and the story or Orestes, the Rex Nemorensis who later moved to Sparta around the 2nd century AD. While not widely seen I have seen references to blood sacrifice at Syracuse in her association to Arethusa. Occasionally one see's reference to blood sacrifice to Artemis as Pontia Theron Mistress of animals via the placenta blood and fertility. Though I do not recall the source anymore I have seen a reference to a similar usage of blood at Bauron and its association as a birthing sanctuary and offering of blood for a safe birthing. Then of course there is complete sacrifice to Artemis at Ephesus / Ephesos which included blood.

Occasionally I include Hecate / Hekate in the sacrifice of blood but not to often.
            Artemis, the Huntress, indeed seems the appropriate patron to offer an animals/mans (hehe) blood too. Has blood magic always been a part of your practice? In what ways do you use this blood (mix it in a potion, dab it on a sacrifice, drip into the candle flame?)

Originally posted by RainbowDemonic View Post
            I use blood, but only very carefully. I would never use it as an offering to a spirit or deity; far too much risk involved. But for magicks, sure, if the matter is serious enough to require that kind of thing. It has many uses. Generally if the need arose, I'd use a sterilized needle (such as a sewing needle) or sharp blade to either prick a finger or create a small cut. You don't want a dull blade, because you'll have to exert more pressure and there's risk that you'll accidentally cut deeper than you intended to. And you'll want to cut in a place that's relatively safe so as to avoid longterm damage.

Also, other parts of yourself can be given, depending on the intent and situation and stuff. Fresh snippets of your hair, fingernails, eyelashes, saliva, and so on and so forth.
            Since I lack a deity, I'm not particularly worried about being misunderstood as I offer up my blood. To me, there are many fingers of the same hand, so if I offend one spirit, the rest of the fingers still get a vote. I've just used a sewing needle but I'm such a sparrow that I barely got any. I sat there in front of my altar dreaming of a blood glucose tester so that someone else could prick my darn finger!

The other suggestions are really powerful too, my hair would probably be my highest sacrifice, just because of the way I am.

I'm interested in the lore behind your reasoning that, as an offering to a deity, blood might be a poor choice. TELL ME MOAR
            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I feel the need to use my blood too, but so far it wasn't right for me to do it.
              But I keep wonder, should I use my menstruation blood? It's not that much of a sacrifice, but it symbolize a deeper part of me. Anyway, I'm joining in- tell me more too!

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                ..Artemis, the Huntress, indeed seems the appropriate patron to offer an animals/mans (hehe) blood too. Has blood magic always been a part of your practice? In what ways do you use this blood (mix it in a potion, dab it on a sacrifice, drip into the candle flame?) ..
                Blood has figured in a lot of my practice since my youth.

For me it is an offering used in dedications and honor bindings to the gods / goddesses I am sworn and bound to. It is also used in re-dedications and re-honor bindings. Sort of dedicating my life and body to their service yet also returning a portion of my life's force to them to be used for requests I may make that deal with the life, welfare and continuation of my family. It is also used as a binding or promising to the local land spirits and entities / beings to make you and the land one. In that capacity though it is joined with a breathe of life, skin for creation of body and hair as rooting and flexibility.

As a hunter it is a mark of honoring and binding with the spirit of the creature who gave its life and body. A typical blooding rite that goes with blooding of the hunter after his / her first kill. What some would claim as parts of the fading male mysteries. While not much into it at times others in my family have made it into a black or blood pudding. Maybe also poured upon the ground as a combination of sacrifice / libation to the Spirit of Place, the Spirit of the animal and fertility / fecundity of the land and herds. A drop of your own blood also speaks to only taking what is needed and respecting the life of the other beings such as the winged ones, standing ones, fined ones, stone peoples, etc as a hunter.

Since I tend to use edged weapons as part of my practice it also feeds the blade and prevents the blade developing a need or taste for blood each time it is pulled. It also prevents what I suppose in D&D would be called a back bitter blade that seems to always find a way to inflict injuries of varying degree's upon the welder of said blade. While I do not create via hot forging or cold forging anymore applying blood during the creation process also ties the spirit of the blade to the spirit and energy of the welder.

Also in the creation process is the act of blooding of one's tools to tie the energy of the tool to that of the welder. For me mostly staves or staff's, occasionally candles or any constructs I might make as boundary defenders and protectors. I've known of others that place a single dab of blood upon their cards, balls or mirrors but I have not done that for anything except a mirror once. The mirror was from the notion that a sleeping persons true reflection is always shown when reflected upon a mirror and the blood prevents the spirit from becoming part or trapped in the mirror. Somewhat tying into the folkish notion of covering all the mirrors in the house where a person has recently died less they become earth bound.

From my aunt and the women of my family I know that a drop of the male and female blood is often bounded together to ensure a strong commitment and marriage to one another. It maybe joined with a drop of semen and vaginal fluid for fertility as well as the tie binding of blood. Frequently tied together with folk magic practices of sewing sigils or other bindings into bed clothing or actual bed sheeting and such. Some of the woman in my ancestry sewing such symbols into the clothing they wear and that worn by their spouses when they shall be separated for long periods of time. A very folkish practice that is part of knot magics I suppose. Of course it is assumed to be mutually understood and aware by both parties though I suppose a woman might do so without the knowledge of her spouse as it is her right and authority over home and hearth and its protection as well as those who enter.

From a control or cursing aspect one might use their own blood and the menstrual blood of another to bind, capture or curse the person directly or indirectly. Yet it can also be used in the notion of blood bindings such as blood brothers or blood sisters or swearing an oath upon. Figure blood brings forth life and inversely can be used to take away life.

There are other odds and ends but I really do not recall them until I have need to use one of them.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

So far, most northern beings I've felt or interacted with in some way haven't been interested in blood. Alcohol, meat or dairy from as pure a source as I can manage...pretty standard stuff. The one exception has been a period of interaction with the Jotun Angrboda. She wanted blood. I had tools from back when I had gestational diabetes, so it wasn't that difficult. In her case, completely UPG, but it seemed to be more about being a show of commitment to the lessons being learned then about the blood itself. Proof that I meant what I said and wouldn't waste her time.
                  Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I'm very intrested in the concept of "blood magick" but so far, I have had no need for it. I would still like to learn more about it though.

Comment

I use blood in my practice regularly. I make regular offerings to the goddess that I am sworn to, at her behest. She is bloodthirsty and I'm not sure that our relationship would be what it is if I didn't offer blood. I also offer blood to a few other deities for special workings, but not on a regular basis. Otherwise I use blood in the crafting of certain tools and of my runestones. The runespirits themselves also demand blood in return for the depth of relationship and they get a few drops at every casting. I'm part Northern Tradition and part Demonolator... my deities are dark, cthonic and bloodthirsty... and I'm willing to offer up my blood in the right circumstances. While they may not demand it from others, I have both the will and the means, and so they don't accept anything less. Having said that, I'm not throwing blood around left, right and centre, and not all the deities I work with get it. It's only on offer to a certain few.

In terms of how... for rune casts and magick work I prick my finger with a sterile needle. I have to do it myself... that's the 'sacrifice part'. I have to consciously stab myself with the needle rather than use a diabetic lancet - the lancet is too easy and painless and they don't like that. For Skuld I draw straight from the vein using a sterile needle and syringe with aseptic technique. I'm a vet tech and perform a lot of phlebotomy on dogs and cats (and rabbits). My own veins are easy by comparison (I tend to sit still, for one!). It's controversial but the reality is that a skilled phlebotomist/venupuncturist can draw blood safer and with less risk of infection than someone cutting themselves. Skuld is the only one who gets it from the vein, though.

I don't think anyone is crazy for being drawn to the idea, but then I'm biased, obviously lol. I had used needle-pricks to get blood for rune casts before I started offering to Skuld. The idea of offering her up a few mils of venous, clotted blood was an incredibly seductive and powerful idea. She likes blood offerings, and while her ideal is 'dead blood' (the dark, clotted blood of the dead) that's obviously not viable for me in this day and age (not a Viking-age warrior who can offer up those I slay in battle, I'm afraid). We had to compromise lol.

Comment

I mean, pagan and folk magic religions in the past used blood. Blood was seen as sacred in ancient cultures, associated with vitality (quite rightly) and the gods.
                        So, eh. Not my bag (mainly because I don't like to bleed), but if others want to, I have no objections.

Comment

I've offered blood to the two deities that I have dedicated to. I did this through sacred tattooing. So, a little bit different than what was originally asked about, but still as powerful and I have a constant reminder of my process on my body.

Comment

I use my own blood in my practices. But it's never self-inflicted/self-harm blood. If I happen to get a paper cut, cut myself preparing dinner or bleed otherwise, I will feed this blood (or some of it) to my Lineage Stone which resides inside my Mesa (medicine bundle).
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I know menstrual blood has been mentioned in a few sources as a somewhat common sacrifice to the Morrigan. However, I believe in charging your sacred items with blood. I know SO many people are paranoid about others touching their stuff because it could mess up the energies, but if your own blood has gone into making or using the item, it's got your energy for life.

Comment

Working...
                              X