X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to honor/worship Thor today?

ya I'm a clueless dumbass thanks for reminding me that really helped

- - - Updated - - -

i "ignored" answers i got because they either didn't answer my question or i didn't understand them, do you think I'm trying to be annoying? what would i gain from pissing people off here?

- - - Updated - - -

so thors the easiest to get along with and I'm having this much difficulty already, thats not good, what if i wanted to follow another god that may be a little more demanding, then I'm even more screwed right?

Comment

Originally posted by Semi-Demi-God View Post
      ya I'm a clueless dumbass thanks for reminding me that really helped
      No one called you a clueless dumbass. Or even alluded to it. This is in your head. If this is what you are taking from people trying to help you, you're not going to get very far. Have you ever been assessed for depression or anxiety? Some of your responses and comments are pretty classic depression-type comments and make me wonder if maybe you should be trying to find some support for that. Depression is a very difficult illness to live with and will make anything you try to do very difficult. Please think very hard about this before you continue down this road.

i "ignored" answers i got because they either didn't answer my question or i didn't understand them, do you think I'm trying to be annoying? what would i gain from pissing people off here?
      The answers I see are pretty straight forward and answer your questions just fine. Perhaps if you were specific and told us exactly what you were struggling with, we could give you more answers. Or perhaps we're just not telling you what you want to hear? Either way if you want us to help, you need to engage in this properly and help us to help you. Sooner or later people who are trying very hard to help others give up. We don't get pissed off... we decide that you aren't listening and that we've got better things to do with our time. We don't want to give up on you. We want to help. But you are not helping us to help you. We aren't mind readers, psychologists or therapists. We can help with spiritual stuff... we can't help with anything else. So if all of this difficulty is stemming from something like depression, you need professional help before we can help you with spiritual stuff.

so thors the easiest to get along with and I'm having this much difficulty already, thats not good, what if i wanted to follow another god that may be a little more demanding, then I'm even more screwed right?
      Exactly what is so difficult for you? This is an honest question and I am not being snarky or passive aggressive or anything. I want to know the exact things that are you struggling with? Because we've already told you several things...

- Make an altar. It doesn't have to be fancy and can be a piece of paper on a bookshelf. Not hard.
      - Print out an image of Thorr that you like. You obviously have a computer so this is only hard if you don't have a printer.
      - Spend five minutes every day at the altar thinking about Thorr. Not hard unless you have a mental illness or something like ADD.
      - If you can (this is not necessary) you can put aside a little bit of your food and drink sometimes on your altar as an offering. Just like you're serving up Thorr a plate at dinner, only it doesn't have to be a full serve. It's perfectly okay to chuck it in the bin the next day.

Start there. That's all. Everything else can come later. You need to do this bit first.

Yes, you can do spiritual stuff without all the things that we are talking about. But I suspect that's one of the things that you are struggling with, no? To many options and answers that aren't all saying exactly the same thing. That's because there's a hundred ways to do this and none of them are right or wrong. But if you need just one way, try the above. It's a good, solid starting point that works for 99% of people.

Comment

being a loser is even more of a drag then it looks, sorry for sharing it

Comment

being a loser is even more of a drag then it looks, sorry for sharing it
          Why are you being down on yourself? No one is a loser. You want to know a really simple way to honor Thor? Ask him to help you start gaining self-confidence, and to learn to cut yourself some slack. He knows, and I mean this with all the great love and respect I have for him, that he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer - which makes him all the more endearing and easy to get along with. He's the uber-jock on the team that will coach and encourage the smaller guy, not make fun of him like some jocks do. For that reason he values strength of character, resolve and determination. So ask him to help you, talk to him. He will help you if you're really sincere, and he won't judge you. He's really a cool guy.
          śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
          śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

What Thorbjorn said. Of the three Northern deities that I've had the privilege of having direct contact with, Thor was surely the most open. I simplify it to others by describing what it would be like to go out and get drunk with them.

Odin would be the quiet one, a bit thoughtful the more and more we drank. At the end if the night, we'd both part ways and later say we had a great night out.

Loki would be a hoot, sitting there ordering drink after drink and telling jokes or making amusing comments about the people around us. In the morning, I'd wake up with a hangover and most likely in an unfamiliar place or in an awkward but funny position.

Thor would be the one who would buy drinks all around, and pound on my back chanting "drink drink drink" as I tried to keep up with him. We'd drunkenly sing songs, fall down, laugh, get sick, then do it all over again. He'd be the guy who would make sure that I got home safe and sound, back to my own place and in bed with a glass of water and some aspirin.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
              He'd be the guy who would make sure that I got home safe and sound, back to my own place and in bed with a glass of water and some aspirin.
              Don't forget to ask him "Uh, could you keep the thunder to a minimum tomorrow morning?"

And...
              We'd drunkenly sing songs, fall down, laugh, get sick, then do it all over again

"We drank, we fought, he made his ancestors proud!"

Comment

I have to say, you guys make Thor very appealing. None of the entities I work with are like a buddy to me, where Thor sounds like the kind of guy that would show up at your house, throw you over his shoulder, and drag you off to the bar.
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Well, that's kind of what he did to me except it wasn't over his shoulder, it was in a headlock.

I might add that no matter how much of a buddy and a big brother he may be to me, and no matter how down to Earth he is, I would never have the temerity or disrespect to tell him his business... what he should do, how he should do it, or the like such as mortals would do between themselves. He's still my Lord, God and Master.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
                    He's still my Lord, God and Master.
                    I never felt as though he was either my Lord or Master. God, yes, but never commanding me.

I was recently contemplating the idea of how to best worship as well, and I came to the realization that the concept of worship as we are wont to think of it exists with a Christian frame of mind. Worship does not need to be confined to an altar; our ancestors likely spoke to their gods and witnessed their gods in everyday life in a way that western religion never allows one to understand. When that which you worship is also your best friend, guide, and protector, you find that respect and living the way he expects you to live go a long way. Nothing tells someone you appreciate them more than when you can live a noteworthy and honorable life. Treat others around you in a way that shows you understand the values that our patron wields his hammer for and you will find yourself much closer to worship than kneeling in submission would ever allow you to feel.

Comment

Originally posted by meinfretr View Post
                      I never felt as though he was either my Lord or Master. God, yes, but never commanding me.
                      Not commanding me or ordering me about, but more like a leader or captain soldiers would follow to whatever end. Not because they have to, but because they have that kind of respect and loyalty to him. Maybe 'master' isn't the right word because it has negative connotations. It's true that living one's life honorably is the best worship and honor one can pay to a deity, at least in Asatru. It's more a way of life than kowtowing and prostrating in front of deities. We discussed this earlier in the thread, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                        I have to say, you guys make Thor very appealing. None of the entities I work with are like a buddy to me, where Thor sounds like the kind of guy that would show up at your house, throw you over his shoulder, and drag you off to the bar.
                        haha yes I agree, I like those short descriptive interpretations, and I can totally imagine Thor doing that, probably while saying something like "alright my friend your done working, and now were going to the bar, I'm not asking you I'm telling you"

Comment

I've always felt quite attracted to Thor, out of all the Germanic deities I resonate with him the most. I'm wondering about offerings, particularly liquid libations/offerings. The thing is I don't drink alcohol and I know beer and mead especially is something Thor likes as offerings. Is there anything else that I could use as a substitute that he is quite fond of?

Comment

Beef. Goat. Fish.

What would you offer a visitor to your home? Offer that to the gods.
                            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
                            Clan of my Clan
                            Kin of my Kin
                            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                              Beef. Goat. Fish.

What would you offer a visitor to your home? Offer that to the gods.
                              But I'm not sure Thor would like Diet Coke....
                              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by Geroth View Post
                                I've always felt quite attracted to Thor, out of all the Germanic deities I resonate with him the most. I'm wondering about offerings, particularly liquid libations/offerings. The thing is I don't drink alcohol and I know beer and mead especially is something Thor likes as offerings. Is there anything else that I could use as a substitute that he is quite fond of?
                                Well, you could buy and offer them to him without partaking yourself.

I always just substitute clean water if there's nothing else. Water was very important in a whole range of ways, especially if you're going to tip it out, something that helps the land around you would probably please him immensely.

Or if you didn't want to do that, you could maybe start a garden plot and dedicate it to him? His storms would have often been good for the farmers and their crops. Or you could participate in something to help farmers, like donating your time or money to a charity that supports farmers. Or just a men's support group of some kind, we have a thing called 'The Men's Shed' here in Australia, or Movember, those sorts of things would probably be great to support in Thor's name.

In my experience, which is limited and I don't tend to do much stuff with Thor these days, music and general entertainment is always welcomed. He has a bit to do with air, maybe you could play him a song on a wind instrument? (Or maybe he's into a bit of air guitar thrashing, I'm not sure :P).

Comment

Working...
                                X