Forms of Healing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forms of Healing

I have been referred to on more than one occasion as a healer...I have never thought of myself in those terms. I do not practice crystal healing or anything like that.

I was wondering what is considered as the different methods of healing (other than the obvious medicine etc).
    There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
    William Wordsworth

Re: Forms of Healing

Reiki, massage therapy, reflexology, acupuncture, counselors, energy work, crystal, candle, meditation.... These are various styles and forms of healing. I'm sure there are lots more that I forgot mention and they are also various intensities of healing...meaning some are more direct and immediate than others. If someone has referred to you as a healer before, they may have meant it in a context where you have a natural disposition to mastering one or more forms of healing ways such as the ones mentioned above. Without knowing the exact context, that's the best answer I can give right now. Others, I'm sure, will have good input as well.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
      Reiki, massage therapy, reflexology, acupuncture, counselors, energy work, crystal, candle, meditation.... These are various styles and forms of healing. I'm sure there are lots more that I forgot mention and they are also various intensities of healing...meaning some are more direct and immediate than others. If someone has referred to you as a healer before, they may have meant it in a context where you have a natural disposition to mastering one or more forms of healing ways such as the ones mentioned above. Without knowing the exact context, that's the best answer I can give right now. Others, I'm sure, will have good input as well.
      That is quite a list lol. The comment about me being a healer came from 3 seperate people at a retreat. A psychologist (who is quite holistic), a remedial massager and a reiki master.
      There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
      William Wordsworth

Comment

It's probably because you have a healing or peaceful presence. The fields of massage, psychology and energy healing (from my basic understanding) are first about presence, the skill comes secondary because your natural affinity of healing, and/or compassion, will come through in your practice, if you practice.

Each healing modality of healing is different in technique, but I have noticed a common thread among healers from Qigong Masters to the holistic medic- 'Healer heal thyself,' which means the healer is just a channel for the healing to occur, either literally like the way Reiki is used or figuratively as the doctor that holds the Ph.D. Basically, the patient has to want to heal themselves before any good can come from the healing. I think presence has a lot to do with this because if you have a strong healing presence others will want to emulate this, thus they will want to heal themselves and they will do this by being in your presence or getting a direct healing from you in the traditional client/patient way.

Comment

are first about presence, the skill comes secondary because your natural affinity of healing, and/or compassion, will come through in your practice, if you practice.
          I completely agree.
          I believe that people who are easy for others to vent their problems to are in a way healers. I have been told before that I have a healers presence and I've also been told that people feel much better after crying on my shoulder or venting to me.
          Have you ever been told that you are so easy to talk to or that people feel so much better after talking to you when they are upset? Do you find yourself as the go-to person for your loved ones when they are sad or need advice? If so, I personally believe these are other examples of being a healer or having a healing presence.
          If you have an interest in the other forms of healing, such as the ones listed above, I would suggest looking into them and seeing if you enjoy it.

Comment

I think I may have some natural healing qualities also. Both for myself and for others. However I don't think it is very strong.

Is there some distinction or different names for people that primarily are focused on healing themselves and those that are more focused on healing others?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones View Post
              Is there some distinction or different names for people that primarily are focused on healing themselves and those that are more focused on healing others?
              I have never come across a difference in name. From my perspective the best healers are those that can heal themselves first (this is kind of essential if you are going to heal others) and have natural healing abilities honed through years of practice and schooling in a healing art. It's all just healing to me. The only difference in name and practice is professional and laymen, like everything else.

Comment

Working...
              X