New and Concerned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New and Concerned

Hello there, I'm Chris, and I'm a college student living in central Kentucky. I've stumbled into the forums with someone uneasiness, as I've found both warm and welcoming people, as well as vile and extremely hostile people in the Pagan/Heathen community, but I suppose it can be said that there are people of both types found in any group. However, thanks to my temperament, the less-than-ideal attitudes in some can be rather... Off-setting, perhaps.

Anyway, that's not the entire point of what I'm here to say. I'm here mostly to ask about Asatru, or Heathenry, or Odinism, whichever you prefer. I've been researching intently for about a year and a half now on the Asatru faith, the different practices and holidays within it, and the different viewpoints of its followers, as well as the actual beliefs, deities, and concepts found within Asatru. I've read The Essential Asatru more than once, I've studied the Eddas, and familiarized myself with the different organizations associated with this belief system. I haven't done all this research in an attempt to call myself Asatru simply because I know everything about it, but to educate myself on a belief system I have felt drawn to for a while now. I want to be educated, I want to understand before I dedicate myself to the Gods and Goddesses. If there is one thing that never fails to aid in weakness, it is ignorance, and ignorant is something I refuse to be.

Unfortunately, I've felt a certain... Uneasiness, so to speak, about much of my personal interactions in the Heathen community. I'll try to explain this the best I can, and hopefully some of you might understand where I'm coming from and what I mean, or understand it enough to give me some advice.

I've found that my personal thoughts clash heavily with many views I've heard from many Heathens I've interacted with. The militant attitude I've seen in many people just... Doesn't quite sit right with me. And I don't know if it's because I'm just a different kind of Heathen, or if I don't belong, or whatever it may be.

I'm not weak. Physically, I might be considered that by some, as my physique is definitely on the slim side (I'm basically tall and boney as hell), but I am not weak. I avoid fights and arguments, and will do almost anything to avoid fighting in any form with people. But if I had to, I would stand in the face of certain death and fight my hardest to defend what I love. I may not be a fighter, but I am not weak. And while I feel strongly about that... That warrior and combat oriented attitude from many Heathens just doesn't sit right with me.

I prefer books to labor, but that doesn't mean I am not industrious.
    I prefer wisdom to physical strength, but that does not mean I am weak.
    I prefer love and affection over most anything, but that does not make me some wimp wanna-be Heathen.
    I prefer not to talk about religion with people (Things get messy with that in the Bible Belt), but that does not mean I am not proud and open with my faith. It simply means I value the happiness I find in my friends more than I value making a point or a statement in argument.

I'm basically making this post and extending myself out to ask if there is anyone out there who understands this, because I'm not finding many in the Asatru community. And hopefully this post made enough sense to get across what I'm trying to say here.

Anyway, thank you all for reading. You guys seem like a pleasant community to be around, and hopefully I'll get some positive response.

Re: New and Concerned

Hiya! Fellow heathen here.

A lot of people can get caught up in the warrior mentality. War was an important part of the past by necessity, but it certainly wasn't for a love of blood and gore. In Simek's "Dictionary of Northern Mythology" he explains the heathen concept of salvation as 'peace, plenty of fish, and a good harvest'. Those who did fight wars in the Germanic tribes set up votive stones far from home to mothers, not viking battle gods. They named the adorable lady bug after Freyja. My point is that these people were not one dimensional warriors at all. They were real living people with fear and anger and love and sadness.

There also isn't a homogenous heathen religion-- there wasn't even a concept of religion at all! What spirituality and belief amounted to was custom. Whatever your customs are, however you find a personal connection with the world and the gods and express that, then that's your heathenry. I think the biggest challenge in becoming a part of a greater heathen community (whether online or IRL) is learning to argue your point. As long as you can show you've put thought into your beliefs and that you can back them up with a historical precedent, then you should be OK. Should it be that way? No, but that is the way of it. The modern culture of Heathenry and Asatru is devoted to reconstructing as much as possible that historical worldview, they aren't interested in you theyre interested in your information. Norse paganism is much more lenient and modernized so that might be something you would like as well.

In the long run, heathenry should be about what you do in your home with your kin (historically as well) and not what some organized community thinks. As long as you feel heathen then you are. You're just one tribal custom in a history of many others.

Comment

I am not a Heathen but I know there are still some lurking about! Welcome. Mostly, everyone here is not a dick.
      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Not a heathen, but I can understand your trepidation. I ran into something similar on a different shaman forum. There are people in any group who will think you're'doing it wrong' whatever 'it' is. Just be true to yourself and your gods and your path will be a successful one for you.
        Anyway, welcome to the forums
        My Tumblr
        My Webcomic
        My Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by c_greene32 View Post
          Hello there, I'm Chris, and I'm a college student living in central Kentucky. I've stumbled into the forums with someone uneasiness, as I've found both warm and welcoming people, as well as vile and extremely hostile people in the Pagan/Heathen community, but I suppose it can be said that there are people of both types found in any group. However, thanks to my temperament, the less-than-ideal attitudes in some can be rather... Off-setting, perhaps.

Anyway, that's not the entire point of what I'm here to say. I'm here mostly to ask about Asatru, or Heathenry, or Odinism, whichever you prefer. I've been researching intently for about a year and a half now on the Asatru faith, the different practices and holidays within it, and the different viewpoints of its followers, as well as the actual beliefs, deities, and concepts found within Asatru. I've read The Essential Asatru more than once, I've studied the Eddas, and familiarized myself with the different organizations associated with this belief system. I haven't done all this research in an attempt to call myself Asatru simply because I know everything about it, but to educate myself on a belief system I have felt drawn to for a while now. I want to be educated, I want to understand before I dedicate myself to the Gods and Goddesses. If there is one thing that never fails to aid in weakness, it is ignorance, and ignorant is something I refuse to be.

Unfortunately, I've felt a certain... Uneasiness, so to speak, about much of my personal interactions in the Heathen community. I'll try to explain this the best I can, and hopefully some of you might understand where I'm coming from and what I mean, or understand it enough to give me some advice.

I've found that my personal thoughts clash heavily with many views I've heard from many Heathens I've interacted with. The militant attitude I've seen in many people just... Doesn't quite sit right with me. And I don't know if it's because I'm just a different kind of Heathen, or if I don't belong, or whatever it may be.

I'm not weak. Physically, I might be considered that by some, as my physique is definitely on the slim side (I'm basically tall and boney as hell), but I am not weak. I avoid fights and arguments, and will do almost anything to avoid fighting in any form with people. But if I had to, I would stand in the face of certain death and fight my hardest to defend what I love. I may not be a fighter, but I am not weak. And while I feel strongly about that... That warrior and combat oriented attitude from many Heathens just doesn't sit right with me.

I prefer love and affection over most anything, but that does not make me some wimp wanna-be Heathen.
          I prefer not to talk about religion with people (Things get messy with that in the Bible Belt), but that does not mean I am not proud and open with my faith. It simply means I value the happiness I find in my friends more than I value making a point or a statement in argument.

I'm basically making this post and extending myself out to ask if there is anyone out there who understands this, because I'm not finding many in the Asatru community. And hopefully this post made enough sense to get across what I'm trying to say here.

Anyway, thank you all for reading. You guys seem like a pleasant community to be around, and hopefully I'll get some positive response.

While its true that there is a warrior mentality surrounding Heathenism, for my part...I think its misunderstood. Are there some aggressive warrior type's who practice Heathenry? Sure there are. But then there are the ones like me. I don't believe in war for the sake of war. I'm of a mind that you leave me alone and I'll leave you alone.

However, if you attack me or mine......you will awaken a beast unlike which you have never seen. I am the type that believes in overwhelming and crushing force so that you will never, ever think about attacking me and mine ever again. I don't want to have to war, but if I do, hell will come with me.

There is a certain instinct that a warrior is born with. But on top of that, he is built as well. The best way to ensure peace, it to prepare for battle.

If you don't think you have a warrior mindset or warrior body, then only you can change that. I see no shame in being a thinker, as apparently you are. But you are doing yourself, you family, your ancestors, and your gods a disservice by not being the best you that you can be.

A true warrior, no matter if he/she is a thinker or a doer......is PROUD. I don't see that with you. Mind, body, spirit, soul, heart.......all are tied up into one. If you feel you are lacking in one area, then it affects the rest. You may not be a 7 foot Nordic giant. But you CAN attain a warrior's body, and a warrior's mind, even if you're on the slim side. Don't make excuses. Be who you want to be. Don't let fear, or self doubt cloud your judgement.

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

There are heathen skinheads, heathen politicians, heathen soldiers. Its a diverse community of interesting individuals, your going to run into some different ideals and personalities.

Remember, your faithful to the gods, not the other heathens.
            White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
            sigpic
            In Days of yore,
            From Britain's shore
            Wolfe the dauntless hero came
            And planted firm Britannia's flag
            On Canada's fair domain.
            Here may it wave,
            Our boast, our pride
            And joined in love together,
            The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
            The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
              There are heathen skinheads, heathen politicians, heathen soldiers. Its a diverse community of interesting individuals, your going to run into some different ideals and personalities.

Remember, your faithful to the gods, not the other heathens.
              Perhaps just a different outlook but when you consider the complexity of Kin, Kith and Kindred within the Heathen practice and the edda's influences faithfulness is to one's family just as much as to the gods. Factor in kindred and kith and it expands outward to ones extended family outside of blood. So you can't really say Heathenism is about just faithful to the gods / goddesses and not other heathens.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Monster View Post
              .. If you don't think you have a warrior mindset or warrior body, then only you can change that. I see no shame in being a thinker, as apparently you are. But you are doing yourself, you family, your ancestors, and your gods a disservice by not being the best you that you can be.
              I do tend to agree that not doing the best you can is a disservice to oneself, family and ancestry.

A true warrior, no matter if he/she is a thinker or a doer......is PROUD. I don't see that with you. Mind, body, spirit, soul, heart.......all are tied up into one. If you feel you are lacking in one area, then it affects the rest. You may not be a 7 foot Nordic giant. But you CAN attain a warrior's body, and a warrior's mind, even if you're on the slim side. Don't make excuses. Be who you want to be. Don't let fear, or self doubt cloud your judgement.
              I'd disagree with that to the extent a true warrior is not prideful but hones their skills to be the best they can. The celebrated warrior in the edda's, saga's or other mythologies are seldom prideful but are honored and respected for their feats. They train for the battle knowing the greatest test lies within not without whether it be physical, mental or spiritual.

For me I think a lot of it goes back to the notion of is one a warrior, a solider or a mercenary in outlook. In that regard a warrior trains for battle with the hope that it will not come, a solider is drafted into a position though he / she does not train mind, body and soul for it and a mercenary simply does it for money or at times an assumed sense of fame and glory. The warrior may gain fame, prestige and even fortune from their actions but does not seek the glory, for glory does not inspire actual acts do.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Let me preface this with the disclaimer I do not practice a spiritual pathway derived from Nordic, Teutonic, Germanic or Icelandic mythologies or spiritual influences. That is not to say I do not have cultural / familial influences from some of them.

Originally posted by c_greene32 View Post
                I think many forums are not true indicators of many pathways and those who follow them. In that same light I have to admit many US based groups or practices are often significantly different than what I encountered overseas. Some overseas very much driven by blood and lineage but in a differing light than the racist slant one tends to discover in earlier US located practices.

Though one thing many had in common was that they tested you over and over. Not just practical application of a theory or practice but also historical, cultural, social and mythological knowledge. Even to the point where it wasn't just one influence but the differences between common stories's such as how the Volsung saga is different between it's Germanic / Teutonic telling and it's Icelandic telling I think is the other variant of the story.

Anyway, that's not the entire point of what I'm here to say. I'm here mostly to ask about Asatru, or Heathenry, or Odinism, whichever you prefer. I've been researching intently for about a year and a half now on the Asatru faith, the different practices and holidays within it, and the different viewpoints of its followers, as well as the actual beliefs, deities, and concepts found within Asatru. I've read The Essential Asatru more than once, I've studied the Eddas, and familiarized myself with the different organizations associated with this belief system.
                This might be part of the issue from an outside observer perspective. Heathenism is an umbrella term, Odinist is a path specific term, Asatru is a path specific term. As such those who follow more of a recon perspective I've noticed tend to get upset when they are all clumped together. So having read The Essential Asatru probably doesn't do a whole lot to indicate you've done any in-depth study of if unless your looking at a specific group that highly endorses it.

I knew or spoke to a few practitioners of Asatru who align closely with the Vanir (especially fertility and fecundity positions) a couple who align more so with the Aesir (especially from a warrior influence) then a couple who seemed to bring the Jontun in pretty heavily, especially Loki in that regard. Then other's who were more Teutonic / Germanic it seemed and looked to Wodan vice Odin for instance or the position that Tyr led things if I recall it correctly. Sorry as I stated Heathen practices are not my strong suite of knowledge.

I haven't done all this research in an attempt to call myself Asatru simply because I know everything about it, but to educate myself on a belief system I have felt drawn to for a while now. I want to be educated, I want to understand before I dedicate myself to the Gods and Goddesses. If there is one thing that never fails to aid in weakness, it is ignorance, and ignorant is something I refuse to be.
                I don't know if one can ever be knowledgeable in everything dealing with any spiritual system that relied heavily upon kin, kindred and kith and varied from area to area and potentially from clan to clan. At best you've gotten a book knowledge or what might be claimed as an academic without practical application and experience. Yet like a lot of folkish type practices you can alienate people real easy.

Not sure my advise is the most useful or best but hopefully it gives you something to ponder if nothing else.

That one is harder to speak upon, especially given that the concept of militant attitude can very greatly from one person to another in how they define it. A person who values arms, the usage of them and commitment to them can be viewed as militant as the person who values skin and blood as a requirement yet they are clearly two different aspects.

Many people I've known didn't care about a person's physical strength. Weakness was defined against their ability to make and honor an oath. There willingness to stand up for the group, family or ethics they valued. It was all about strength in mind, body, spirit, soul, commitment and dedication. Strength was seen as an ability to inspire and willingness to step up and lead or willingness to step aside when the needs of the family, group, etc was better served by another. The warrior is more than just his / her physical strength.

A lot of your arguments or comparisons here are simply excuses. None show or touch upon personal strengths or what one stands for. A wise man / woman prefers knowledge as it makes their tasks easier or completed in a better manner and utilization of energy. Yet they don't compare it to a refusal of labor or willingness to engage in labor when it is needed or expected. The deepest love a person may have is the willingness to give life upon the battle field (regardless of the type of battlefield) for those who truly cared for by him / her. It's love that enables a person to stand before certain doom or enter into a situation where loved ones are at risk and yes even sacrifice themselves so others may survive. Your examples in the groups I associated with would more than likely get you looked down upon for none of it was a strength it would be seen more as an excuse for why you don't or didn't do something.

I think I understood but in the end who really knows.

Hopefully you'll see my response as a positive reply as that is my intent.

Comment

Wonderfully said, Monster. The mailed fist over the nailed hands is a very important part of Odinism. Hope for the best, and be willing to face the worst with crushing force. The fighter is praised in the Odinic faith, but so is the quick intelligence of the mind. They can be both seperate and hand in hand sometimes.

Don't worry there are lots of Heathens here who can help you. Hail and Welcome to the forum, Chris.
                  People are meant to be loved,
                  And things are meant to be used.
                  The reason the world is chaos is because
                  People are being used and things are being loved.

Comment

Hi c_green.

I'm not a heathen, so please keep that in mind.

I'd like to point a few things out, and hopefully it will apply as much to Heathenry as the rest of life. Maybe not, and in that case, just ignore me; I'll not be offended, I promise.

First, I think the hard part about reviving a religion that others have tried to kill is finding community. Within certain established religions, there are many denominations, but not nearly so much within religions such as pagan, heathen, wiccan, etc. So I think the struggle that you're having is that of having too few choices with regards to finding fellowship. That is, sadly, more a part of the issue with reviving religions that were nearly killed. It's also part of being in small (even if growing) religions. As a panentheist, for example, there really isn't ANY "religion" or fellowship for me. It's something I confess that I miss significantly about being christian. Not enough to go back, but enough to be sad and/or melancholy about it from time to time, for sure.

So please understand that from the get-go. Finding fellowship will be tough because we're not part of the established, most powerful religions.

Then, I'd also like to state that your viewpoint is that of the best and strongest warriors. The best and strongest warriors aren't the ones who WANT to go to war. They are the ones for whom war is about PEACE. What?? Insane, right? No.

Good war is protective. Its end goal is a return to peace. To eliminate the threat and bring the country back to harmony and security.

If you approach it from the standpoint of protecting the legacy, of ensuring the security... then perhaps you understand "warrior" better than those who are attracted to the "war" gods and goddesses only because they LIKE the warlike aspects and don't truly see the end purpose of war.

The bad guys always show up. The greatest hope the rest of us have, is that the good guys will, too. It takes warriors to do what the rest of us can't... to protect us from those who WILL show up... and who will do everything they can to destroy.

This is the hardest part for most people to understand. They want one, or the other... and that's that. There must be war, or there must be peace... and nothing else. Yet the balanced approach is to understand war well enough to show up when the "bad guys" do. Politics are a horrific reason for war. Protecting your loved ones? Different story.

Understand that warring god/desses will attract people who like violence and destruction for its own sake. KNOW that these people DO exist (it's obvious, ignoring it won't make it go away!), and appreciate the truth of what these god/desses stand for... Perhaps it's not so much about going TO war, but more about protecting when it comes, as it always does.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                      Perhaps just a different outlook but when you consider the complexity of Kin, Kith and Kindred within the Heathen practice and the edda's influences faithfulness is to one's family just as much as to the gods. Factor in kindred and kith and it expands outward to ones extended family outside of blood. So you can't really say Heathenism is about just faithful to the gods / goddesses and not other heathens.

- - - Updated - - -

I do tend to agree that not doing the best you can is a disservice to oneself, family and ancestry.

I'd disagree with that to the extent a true warrior is not prideful but hones their skills to be the best they can. The celebrated warrior in the edda's, saga's or other mythologies are seldom prideful but are honored and respected for their feats. They train for the battle knowing the greatest test lies within not without whether it be physical, mental or spiritual.

For me I think a lot of it goes back to the notion of is one a warrior, a solider or a mercenary in outlook. In that regard a warrior trains for battle with the hope that it will not come, a solider is drafted into a position though he / she does not train mind, body and soul for it and a mercenary simply does it for money or at times an assumed sense of fame and glory. The warrior may gain fame, prestige and even fortune from their actions but does not seek the glory, for glory does not inspire actual acts do.
                      You may have misunderstood me. But I don't think I worded it right in the beginning so let me rephrase...........

Warriors are proud.....not prideful. I think what I should have said was a true warrior is confident. He is confident in himself and his ability because he has trained and is prepared to face whatever challenges may come. Proud is being confident to me. Prideful is being arrogant and egotistical. There's the difference I believe.

A true warrior carries himself in a certain way is what I'm trying to say. And so far, the OP hasn't demonstrated that trait. (Sorry OP. Not a dig at you. Just the truth)

Comment

You may have misunderstood me. But I don't think I worded it right in the beginning so let me rephrase...........

Warriors are proud.....not prideful. I think what I should have said was a true warrior is confident. He is confident in himself and his ability because he has trained and is prepared to face whatever challenges may come. Proud is being confident to me. Prideful is being arrogant and egotistical. There's the difference I believe.

A true warrior carries himself in a certain way is what I'm trying to say. And so far, the OP hasn't demonstrated that trait. (Sorry OP. Not a dig at you. Just the truth)
                        Ok that one I agree with so I must have misunderstood the initial post.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                          Ok that one I agree with so I must have misunderstood the initial post.
                          I agree with your assessment though. I'm seeing a lot of excuses from the OP. The warrior spirit has nothing to do with size, or lack thereof. What I see was a lot of "I'm not doing this, and this is why" from the OP. Not I *can't* do it. But I won't do it.

And OP, again....I'm not bagging on you. But you came here for advice and we're giving it to you. If you want to be the smartest guy in the world, thats great. More power to you. We need smart people too. But, speaking as a warrior who has been there and done that.......I'll afford you courtesy that I give everyone because thats my nature.

But if you want respect in a warrior culture, you have to earn it. Its not just given. I hope this helps you.

Comment

I'm sorry if this isn't my place to speak, but regardless of the fact that I am not affiliated with a Heathen tradition I feel that I have to ask something. From what c_greene32 has said, I didn't get the impression that he has a lot of experience actually practicing a form of Heathenism. He's at the point in his religious development where he's looking to outside sources (to people who do have experience with that specific religion) to find approval for the various ways that he thinks and behaves. Every person does this at multiple points throughout their lives. The feeling of not being on solid ground and of looking for acceptance is completely normal in every situation, regardless of what that situation is, whether it's your first day at work, or at school, or your beginning attempts to reach out to others in a religious community. At this point, wouldn't it be the very definition of arrogance to show up as a beginner with a proud attitude? You say that a true warrior is confident because he's trained, but the OP isn't trained, so is it not putting the cart in front of the horse to ask him to be a proud and true warrior when he's still at the stage where he's looking to see if there's even a place for the kind of person he is in Heathenry?

Besides that I suppose I don't understand the intense "warrior worship" in modern Heathenism. As others have said, the ideal state of life is peace, but even beyond that I was under the impression that warriors, even of the Viking age, were sort of a class to themselves. I guess what I mean is, modern Heathenism seems to draw in people who are primarily of the warrior mentality, but in the past, before Christianization, the worship of the Germanic Gods and Goddesses would have just been a part of life, not limited to just one kind of person or personality but engulfing every member of the community, not all of whom would have been warriors. It is possible for a warrior caste to be at the top of the society, to make a culture into a warrior culture, where warriors are respected above everyone else (because of their position at the top), but a society can't function if that's all you have. There has to be room for other people, other personalities and skills. So why does every good thing about a person have to boil down to how much they're willing to fight, or to what kind of warrior they are? There are a lot of good things about being the kind of person who compromises, who puts their energy into intellectual pursuits rather than physical ones, who puts family and cohesion above fighting, who would rather love someone than be right. I can't imagine a society in which those things are not highly valued lasting for very long.

Comment

I agree with your assessment though. I'm seeing a lot of excuses from the OP. The warrior spirit has nothing to do with size, or lack thereof. What I see was a lot of "I'm not doing this, and this is why" from the OP. Not I *can't* do it. But I won't do it.
                              Won't do what?

But if you want respect in a warrior culture, you have to earn it. Its not just given. I hope this helps you.
                              Who said heathenry was a warrior culture?

Comment

Working...
                              X