Why you chose your avatar/signature!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why you chose your avatar/signature!

So I found the avatar assumptions thread to be really intriguing and I've been thinking it might be interesting to ask: Why DID we choose our avatars and signatures? Is there any significance to it? Is it just something you found funny or cute or amusing? Obviously some didn't think much about it and just sort of chose a random stock image or didn't bother with a signature, I realize, but for those of us who had some meaning or significance in mind - what was it? Would you care to share?

I'll start, I suppose. My current avatar is the Grim Reaper giving a daisy to a little girl in white. I thought it significant because spiritually, that little girl is sooo me. There are many reasons why I identify her, not the least of which being that my most life-changing interactions with spirits have been what most would consider terrifying; I've long since learned that sometimes, in the darkest and most nightmarish of places in the ether, you'll find something downright pure and wise that just happens to be wearing a nightmare-cloak. In some of my hardest times, let's just say things like that have come rising out of the inky dark to give me a daisy and a quiet smile and then take off into the blackness again.

The signature with the Joker quote is kind of just a joke; to me anyway. I find it awesome when the Joker waxes poetic about the value of chaos and insanity; what he says, anyway. Personally I find it very valuable - or at least, an ever-present companion - along the jagged path of the shaman. A touch of what some might call madness is always sort of inevitable.

Re: Why you chose your avatar/signature!

Neat idea for a thread
    My current avatar isn't terribly deep, unfortunately. It's a crop from one of my webcomic pages, the character specifically being the lead. She does mean a lot to me, as does the comic, mostly in that it's a project that is teaching me a lot artistically and in the business of comics. And I really do enjoy her as a character.
    My signature is just shameless self-promotion. I have no shame in it.

____

But my quote on my about me page..that is a quote from V for Vendetta that I find sums up my personal beliefs about humanity. I also find it tragically beautiful.
    My Tumblr
    My Webcomic
    My Twitter

Comment

My avatar hasn't changed since I joined the forum.

It's a picture of Sidonie, from the front cover of the Kushiel's Mercy. Because...Kushiel.

Mostly art.

Comment

�Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

My current avatar is from the xkcd web-comic

It's a reminder that my favorite hobby can easily turn me into the world's biggest ass. And I do spend many a late night (or for me, well into the afternoon - either way it's past my bedtime) arguing about ridiculous stuff on the internet.

My signature is all about my dragoncave.net obsession. Click them, you know you want to!
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

My current avatar is a fanart of Naoya from the game Devil Survivor. He happened to be my favorite character because of his route. My signature is a few lyrics from Nemo by Nightwish; my favorite band. I like the lines because they seem to mean a lot to me
            Circe

Comment

My avatar picture is of the 8th Doctor from Doctor Who using his sonic screwdriver on an Icewarrior, which for some reason is effective even though its just a screwdriver. I chose it because I love Doctor Who, its been my favorite show since I was little, and I identify with the character of the Doctor quite a bit. I chose the 8th Doctor, Paul McGann, mainly because I'm the only one who seems to like the only episode he was in so no one else on the web is going to use him as a picture, so it makes me easy to recognize.

I don't have a quote, probably because it a weird addition to anything I'd have to say.
              hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

My name resembles my beliefs. Psykhikos means of the soul, mind or life, Anarachos literally means no leader and Nautikos means sailor. I am not a sailor but I am a water sign, that's part of the reason for Nautikos, the main reason is because the brain, mind and life are like vast oceans of experiments and experiences. It basically means I am free to sail this life within and without in whatever I see fit as long as it is logical and in accordance with my personal ethics.

My avatar is a sigil I made that represents my beliefs. The broken pentacle means magic and life have no rules nor morality. The moon and reversed triangle stands for intuition (the feminine in general), the circle at the top stands for the power of belief. The mini sigils on the side are a chaos star tied with an anarchism symbol and an equality symbol tied in with a squatters right symbol (basically my name sigilized with common symbols). The purple represents royalty (of self and things and concepts I find to be beautiful) and the cosmos. The green stands for the earth in which the other three elements are part (the small circles surrounding the broken pentacle) that the moon watches over. The red represents passion and courage (the masculine in general) and the black represents the void that we may never know yet strive to understand and grasp.

The first quote on my profile represents my beliefs and practices in life, especially with philosophy, martial arts and magic.
                The second quote sums up me as a skeptic in search for my own personal truth and the nature of existence.
                The third quote represents a small aspect of my social and political views.

Comment

I don't really have anything profound going on with my avatar or signature really. Though I like the avatar I found, turn it upside down, It's the same! Yay ambigrams!
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

My Avatar is a skull in recognition of ancestors to honor their lives. My Sig(the graphic) shows Quan Yen a Chinese goddess figure. As to the quotes above,one is by Mark Twain,and the other is of my own making. And the Wizard one is also of my own making.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

My choices are pretty simple -- nbdy is for "nobody" because that's what I am to anybody online, just another "person" on the web. The tulip tree flower is indicative of where I live. The quote is more a reminder for me, a victim of 20th century education who often has the illusion that I know something.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

I used to change my avatar every season to a natural landscape indicative to the current season. Then some time ago I decided I wanted something humorous, and what's more humorous than James jiggling his fake boobs at Misty?

I chose my signature because I was once very into psychology, and the quote resonated with me. I can't be bothered to change it at the moment.
                        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                        -Erik Erikson

Comment

I have always wondered what ppl thought of me based on my avatar.
                          Last edited by Crynnath; 03 Jun 2013, 08:12. Reason: about to kill auto correct
                          If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows. ---Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

Originally posted by Crynnath View Post
                            I have always wondered what ppl thought of me based on my what's.
                            That's easy. You hump legs.

Mostly art.

Comment

I use a fennic fox because it has alot of meaning to me. The signature because it speaks much truth.
                              Lol V good to know my notoriety.
                              If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows. ---Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

Working...
                              X