Australian Musical Talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian Musical Talent

I'm pretty proud of the gold and green. Sometimes Australians are thought of as that planet x on the underside of the world. Well, this underside of the world has awesome talent! So if you're a proud Australian citizen (or guest), please add to the thread.

Most of this will be of pop music. I'm unashamed to say that it's my favourite genre

Busby Marou are champions of rural touring. Their label have tried to ban them from touring out of scheduled tour dates in the past, so they changed their name to Musby Barou and travelled under that name instead. They are very much into uncovering new Australian country and blues talent. I love hearing of artists that stay grounded, and these two fit that category. And Marou is OUTSTANDING at anything that has strings.

Re: Australian Musical Talent

Do these guys count? I love them!

[4:82]

Comment

Haha!! Yes, absolutely! Lol that red boa is something else..

My husband showed me this clip not so long ago. We are big fans of mash-ups. Thanks for the addition!

- - - Updated - - -

Gee I could add to this all night. But I don't want to overload you all. But I really want to share this one

- - - Updated - - -

This song was written by their bassist.. not that you can't half tell! And if anyone can tell me what song is about to play at the end of that clip, you would put my mind to rest. Putting 'dooo-deh do-deh' into google doesn't really help...

Comment

I gotta add in the Hilltop Hoods. Not pop and not actually my style of music (my sister is the hip hop fan) but I'm an Adelaidian of the south-eastern suburbs so I'm proud of these guys nonetheless. They're about as homegrown as it gets for me. lol

I'm not much of a muso and I don't know the indie Aussie bands but figured I'd chip in.

Comment

Thank you for sharing that song Rae'ya ^.^ I've never actually heard a song by these guys, so it was good to have a listen. Here is a duo similar to them I guess you could say. They don't mean to be, but they do get comparisons often. You are very welcome to post here! Please continue to contribute ^.^ And I don't mind if people post stuff other than pop.. that's just my favourite genre and what I will end up posting a lot.. but I love all kinds of music. Maybe your sister will like this song too if she likes Hilltop Hoods

Comment

Hilltop hoods are awesome.

Dont forget for good 'indie' Aussie music check out triple j, and triple j unearthed for the raw talent.

personally I'm big into Kimbra ATM... Even if she is from across the pond.
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Add something, Heka! By the way, I love your phrase. I have soo much to add here, but I want to be careful not to double post
              In the meantime, I really have to just add this iconic Australian song by Icehouse: This clip isn't the original obviously. The maker of this clip wants to let you know there are lots of beautiful young women in Australia! It has some awesome shots of Australian landscape, though. Makes me ashamed I hardly know my own country.

This song has a really great story behind it, as all classics do.
              http://themusic.com.au/interviews/al...years-on/7930/
              This song means different things to many people. For me, it depicts the invasion of the English, many of whom maybe didn't want to be here. It conveys the tension between the English and indigenous, and fast forwards into the future when we are now facing tension between migrants and modern citizens of Australia. It captures the wild and ancient feeling of the land itself and the human tension over possession that plays out among it all.
              Last edited by Azvanna; 10 Jun 2013, 23:16.

Comment

Fine!

Everytime she does this song, she does it differently. Her voice is unbelievable. Yes she is a NZer, but I claim her. Also style = win.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                  ....Her voice is unbelievable. Yes she is a NZer, but I claim her.
                  Wow! I have never heard that song, but I got into it from the first note. She is a really good performer! Can't blame you for claiming her. It's custom anyway... she's from the general area!

My favourite female vocalist ever:

Comment

I did music at uni, I know so many amazing female vocalists... It's such a shame none of them get signed.... But here for a male vocalist group!

I went to uni with Kieran and Matt, my gf dated Cam (he's like a brother to me) and Robin lives with Cam. Top guys.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Where did you go to uni, Heka? I think Katie went to the con. I say Katie like I know her.. I wish What you say about female vocalists is a sad truth I think. A singing coach I met once made the statement that not many songs by female vocalists tend to endure. I'm not totally sure I agree with her, but I understand her point of view. Why do you think its more difficult for female artists to get signed? I wonder if it's because there are so many female vocalists, it takes a lot to truly stand out. I thought Fishbowl Boys sounded really British at first.. and then I saw you're from SA and that explains the accent! ;p Good vocalists indeedily!

Heaps of versions of this instrumental by John Butler honouring the ocean:

Comment

Working...
                      X