Slavic Paganism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slavic Paganism

I appreciate the feedback I have received regarding incorporating monotheistic deities within polytheism. Again, thank you. Lately, I've been reading up slavic paganism and I'm curious as to whether anyone else pays respect or worships any slavic deities and which deities would they be. I have roots in Poland, being four generations removed and I really identify with the richness of traditional Polish culture and slavic culture as a whole and how reverence of nature is embedded within those cultures.

Re: Slavic Paganism

There are Slavs in Poland and the Ukraine, Russia, Slovenia, Serbia, and not only to honor the memory of their loved gods. Slavic paganism includes a pantheon of gods. Because of language differences and relationships, they are a little different. But that does not change the fact.
    Previously, the pagans were persecuted. Books by him destroyed. But still were people who could save the book, the memory of the native Slavic gods.
    These people were able to pass on to their descendants Slavic culture, tradition, up to the period when Christianity was introduced by force.

- - - Updated - - -

I encourage you to view the Polish film
    "When the sun was a god."
    The story takes place in the ninth century, in the pagan tribes of ancient Slavs. The noble princes are continuous wars, fighting for influence and power. But even here, among the mud and blood, is a place of nobility, honor, love ... As, however, dishonesty and deceit.

I think he is in an English translation or with English subtitles.

Comment

An excerpt from the film. Fight the Vikings and Slavs.
      Quote from the movie about Vikings:
      "They came like wolves are gone, as warriors."

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

If I 'worshipped' a Slavic deity, rather than a whole pantheon or pantheons (which I do not, but used to, as well as the rest of the Indo-European, Egyptian, some pre-Jewish near Eastern, some some native American and Australian ones, all to different degrees,) then it would be Zorya, since she is a wisdom goddess, like Athena, goddess of mathematics, and my 'religion,' or philosophical viewpoint in place of one, is mathematicism (which says 'everything is mathematics; mathematics explains everything' and came from Pythagoreanism, Platonism & Neoplatonism, Cartesianism, Leibnizianism) with a gnostic view, which of course focuses on other wisdom as well.

I hope that a Slavic sub-forum can be added.

Comment

My chief deity would be Perun. I put a lot of stock in proto-indo-european comparative religion. While some PIE reconstruction is highly speculative, when it comes to the serpent-slaying thunder God... I think there's a pretty clear pattern of him being the supreme deity for most Indo-European cultures. Ivanov and Toporov were pretty dead on in their interpretations, although I am skeptical that Perun's opponent should be identified with Veles. However, one definitely sees this basic mythos in various Slavic stories, such as those concerning the zmey, or bulgarian hala and St. Elijah, or the Slovenian Kresnik.

Then of course, there's Moist Mother Earth, who is sort of like the flip side of Perun. Female and earthy vs male and celestial. That's supported by baltic mythology, in which she (Zemyna) appears to occasionally act as his consort. While we're on Goddesses, I also believe in a primordial Slavic fate or luck Goddess, variously referred to as Srecha/Dolya/ The Royenitzes.

After that, I tend to honor Svarogich, since fire is very clearly venerated in folk tradition, along with Dazhbog, who I see as closely related if not the same in character. Often solar holidays like solstices involve fire as well, so there is that overlap.

Veles is important, although I have only ever made offerings to him to act as a sort of translator to speak with the dead from ages past.
          If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X