Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you feel about your name?

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    I've never especially loved my name...but I've had it for too long, with no idea of what I would call myself otherwise, to bother doing anything about it.

What I really dislike especially though, is my middle name.
    I like my middle name, its what I would change my first name to, if I ever did that... dunno what that would make my middle name though... redundant I suppose...
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I do not like my name. It is a common, biblical name, and though it has a strong meaning, that strength is lost as it is not the reason that I was named as I am. I have no cultural ties to the bible or the Christian god for that matter even though Europe has not been Pagan for nearly two thousand years. I am an old soul who still feels that Christianity is an alien religion to Europe, and as such to European Americans such as myself. That said me having a Hebrew name (Joshua) is strange to me. It is like how Native Americans were given Christian names and forced to pretend that their culture does not exist. I would prefer a name like Bertrand or Clovis. Good French names. I would have also been proud to have a name like Eboric or Eric. Something that is at the very least Germanic and something that I can wear on my sleeve. I only keep my name, even though I COULD legally change it, because I respect the will of my father even though I am 25 years old. I feel that it would shame my family if I altered my name in any official capacity. It would be insulting to them.

Comment

Like several people here, I have a name typically given to followers of Abrahamic religions, and I greatly dislike it, though I am used to it and basically accept it because it is common and acceptable. Though I like one or all the actual letters in my name very much, it is of a particularly bad Biblical character. Most people consider the Biblical figure some sort of admirable, great historical figure, but if you carefully make a modern moral judgement of each of his actions, Hitler was a lot like him in wreaking vengeance on perceived enemies, and in some ways better (i.e. he had one wife, as far as I know--not necessarily marrying lots or philandering, though of course I would not be surprised if he did the latter... and even though I hate Hitler, he made several clever, if evil, statements, in their practicality, similar to Machiavelli, who was not actually evil, and the person my name is from, like probably every Biblical character, did not say much/anything that is clever--not that this means I like Hitler for that at all or think his statements are anything really intellectually worth remembering... just saying how the person my name is from is worse in ways.) I even like my username here more than my real name now, as it originally, in its Greek source, meant a spirit that typically helped people. Some of my current reaction is just because of how Abrahamism has caused so much trouble. The actual meaning of my name is somewhat nice, and there were probably others in ancient times who had it... and if that is so, I would not dislike it, but I do not know yet. I am not going to mention it here, because I have decided to try to remain anonymous.

Comment

The only thing I hate about my *real* name is how Americans always mispronounce it and that really has nothing to do with my name so much as the common pronunciation is different in the states than where I grew up. But I've gotten too used to it so I respond to both.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            That's beautiful. When I mentioned my mother named me after a saint. It was St Jude. Patron of Lost Causes. Greeaaaaaaaaat. Thanks mom.
            Hahaha! Either your mom has one heck of a sense of humor or she was hoping you'd keep her in check. xD

Comment

Contrary to most here, I've never really hated or even disliked my name. People are fond of spelling it with a "C" instead of an "S" but they are learning... hehe

My middle name I loved for about 4 months in primary school, and hated after that. Now it's just that other name and I usually ignore it. Swiss spelling of an English classic.

Surname I've held on to , even through marriage, cos my brother and I are the only ones of our family name left in Australia, so I'm holding on a bit. Get a bit frustrated at peoples complete lack of ability to spell the "double S - O - N" but ah well. That's what you get for being half Swede.
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I always hated my name as a kid. I still don't like it and as soon as I find the right one, I'm going to change it. Everyone calls me Cat, which is good. I'll probably just use that as a first name once I get it changed.

Comment

i use to hate my first name as a kid, i could never find the personalized name key chains or bracelets with it spelt like mine is, and it would take forever to order one when my sister could just grab hers and check out. but now i see that it suits me well, theres not much about me that is 'normal' anyway lol. also since then, im the oldest of six, and all my siblings on my moms side (4 includin me) have odd spelled names except one. me, emilie, then elizabeth, hailey, and aryka. my step siblins are normal named, which suits them well too. my daughters name is odd too, i wanted somethin that was out of the ordinary and that other family members didnt already have, so it was decided to name her avalon shay
                  now on the other hand, i dont like my last name at all or my daughters (long story) but wont have to deal with it for too much longer!! (super yaaaaay!!)

Comment

Well, I have two names, a birth name, and a legal name, the latter coming from my adoption, the former coming from the obvious.

My birth name, the given name was Hebrew for "Joined in Harmony", or "One who Joins in Harmony", and my surname was German for "shining man".

As for my legal name, the given name, Matthew, means "Gift from God", as for Hancock, well, "Hann", itself a form of the early Johan or John, themselves from the Hebrew "Yochanan", meaning "Jehovah has favoured (me with a son)" or possibly "may Jehovah favour (this child)", and "-cock", a popular ending deriving from the pre 7th century word "cocca", a nickname applied to a young lad. So, "Blessed Gift from God", "God's Blessed Gift", or "The Gift that God has Favored", or something along those lines... I'd say I am quite content with my name.

I don't mind sharing my legal name, but my birth name is a bit special... In case you were wondering "why include one while excluding the other?"

Comment

It's just a thing I have to put on certain pieces of paper. Most people spell it wrong anyway, so if I attached any importance to my name I'd spend a lot of the time being annoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by nymphetflower View Post
                        i use to hate my first name as a kid, i could never find the personalized name key chains or bracelets with it spelt like mine is, and it would take forever to order one when my sister could just grab hers and check out.
                        Same here! I still have the only 4 things we ever found as a kid with my name on it. But my brother has more trouble - His name is Torsten! haha
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

My given name, I used to hate it. Now that I answer to another name, it's alright. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                            Same here! I still have the only 4 things we ever found as a kid with my name on it. But my brother has more trouble - His name is Torsten! haha
                            and now i have nothin to complain about lol

Comment

I like my name but I hated it when I was younger. It always sounded odd to me when I said it out loud but I think I have grown into it as I have grown into myself (if that makes any sense!). I also love the fact that my name is quite Scottish and a reflection of where I come from.
                              http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I like my name a lot, it's unusual.
                                We will be the jerks the world needs.

Comment

Working...
                                X