Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a doctorate degee by the School and Church of Wicca legal?

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Re: Is a doctorate degee by the School and Church of Wicca legal?

Quote Originally Posted by duncan1745 View Post
    CMS, College of Metaphysical Sciences is considered a religious non-secular school that is accredited in the state of Florida. The University of Metaphysics is considered religious also and both schools give out degrees. Though they will not be counted as credited in secular schools or the medical field, they are legal and show the person is a professional and studied. Long as you do not say it is "medical" but religious. If it were illegal then I don't know how they continue to get away with it.
    I'm just trying to help Wicca to be respected as a religion and perhaps there should be an organization that recognizes the worthy schools and provides a kind of non-secular accreditation. Ministerial licenses are given. I believe there are many Christian schools that are non-secular that provide minister degrees and B.A.'s, Masters, Doctorates. There is the Universal Church that provides minister degrees for like $20 and other groups that are diploma mills.
    If we have an association that holds to standards equal to that of our secular schools...let's say a American Wiccan Church and School Association that gives non-secular accreditations. Yes, the secular schools would not give it credit or the medical field, but in the religion Wicca it would count. And though the secular school system may not credit this or any other religious school, it is within the religion and I presume would be legal to have our titles or licenses be legal. This is what I am trying to see. If the UMS and CMS deem themselves as religious and give out legal non-secular diplomas, why can't the Wiccans?

http://umsonline.org/accred.htm

UMS Accreditations and Associations, AAMA, AADP, American Alternative Medical Association and American Association Of Drugless Practitioners Neither are accredited scholastic awarding organizations. ​ So in essence it means nothing as a degree.

May 2012
    Religion
    Hellenistic Neopaganism

Quote Originally Posted by duncan1745 View Post
    The Frosts petitioned the government to recognize Wicca as a religion.
    It doesn't work like that. The government does not recognise things as a religion or not. It approves organisations for incorporation as a tax-exempt group, in a category most often taken by Churches and other religious institutions. But this is not, strictly speaking, the government saying what is a religion and what isn't. Because of clauses in the First Amendment, the government cannot do that.

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Heathen
    Phrase
    Damn somebody's eyes

Churches and religious organizations can issue certain degrees, but they are not scholastic degrees in the sense of those issued by a state or private university. You can call yourself Dr. John Doe, PHD, if you have one of these, but that and $20 will get ya a cup of coffee at Starbucks's. As long as you're not representing yourself in some fraudulent or other illegal manner, it's OK. Representing oneself as a doctor of alternative healing methods, for example, is, as far as I know, illegal everywhere, unless you have a university acquired MD, DO, etc.