This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re-open thread request

I request http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...thusiasts-here be reopened. I have used forums on the 'net before web forums even existed, and I agree with people in similar threads who said automatically locking threads is a way to ruin a good forum.

Re: re-open thread request

thread opened
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by demon View Post
        I have used forums on the 'net before web forums even existed, and I agree with people in similar threads who said automatically locking threads is a way to ruin a good forum.
        The same can be said about people who make snarky comments like this.
        In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

How can you use a forum before a forum existed?
          What witchery is this?
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Oshii View Post
            The same can be said about people who make snarky comments like this.
            The same can be said of snarks who over-criticize people just for their opinions. I did not over-criticize the admins for having this feature; I stated how I agree with people who had commented before... but I think you over-criticized me. In fact, I thanked the admins for re-opening the thread. What relevant post have you even made here today?

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            How can you use a forum before a forum existed?
            What witchery is this?
            Forums have existed for millennia, and the internet also existed decades before the WWW. Some of the first pagan forums of the internet include Usenet's nntp://soc.religion.pagan and nntp://alt.pagan (as you can see, those are not WWW URLs.)
            Last edited by demon; 19 Jun 2013, 00:40.

Comment

Originally posted by demon View Post
              The same can be said of snarks who over-criticize people just for their opinions. I did not over-criticize the admins for having this feature; I stated how I agree with people who had commented before... but I think you over-criticized me. In fact, I thanked the admins for re-opening the thread. What relevant post have you even made here today?

Forums have existed for millennia, and the internet also existed decades before the WWW. Some of the first pagan forums of the internet include Usenet's nntp://soc.religion.pagan and nntp://alt.pagan (as you can see, those are not WWW URLs.)
              Because I'm bored before work.
              Are you sure you want to stick with forums being on the internet for a millennium? Are you aware of just how much time that means? Were the dinos typing out posting pics of their dino cats on reddit?
              And sadly your links lead me to nowhere and show up blank. I would love to see what you are on about.

I know what you are trying to say, though.
              So let's all just move along before I really poke. K?

Comment

A forum is: 'The public place or market-place of a city. In ancient Rome the place of assembly for judicial and other public business'--Oxford English Dictionary, though I said 'millennia' (plural) because one could say the same things about Greece, though dinosaurs did not exist several millennia ago in Greece.

It seems that like many people (even me, a computer scientists, in the past,) you are assuming the world wide web (WWW) is the same as the Internet, but it is not. I stated those were not WWW URLs, but you tried to open them with a web browser anyway, rather than a network news transfer protocol (nntp, not http) reader, i.e. Usenet newsgroup reader. If you want to know what I am talking about, you have a bit of learning to do, and it would take a while to explain (or you can just look up 'Usenet newsreader,') so you could message me, or start a new thread.

Wikipedia: Internet
                , Wikipedia: World_Wide_Web
                Wikipedia: Url (actually it has mistakes or my understanding is not complete, but note it lists things other than web sites, such as 'mailto://,' which will open any email program you have set up, though you can read Wikipedia: URI_scheme. Note NNTP is entirely separate from HTTP.)
                Wikipedia:_Internet_forum
                Wikipedia:_Usenet , Wikipedia: Nntp (note it is entirely separate from HTTP.)

Your internet service provider (ISP) should have told you about the WWW as distinctly only a part of the Internet, and about Usenet and more. If they did not, they were not doing their job and are arguably an inferior ISP, though that is unfortunately the case with probably over 99% of them since the mid - late 1990s.

Comment

You said, and I quote:
                  I have used forums on the 'net before web forums even existed
                  I'm not arguing the idea of community discussion places. I'm aware of 'history'. I just had no idea how this is actually possible. How to use a FORUM ON THE NET before the net existed.

I realized you probably just got all swept up in the dramalama of being questioned about your expertise in such jumps of space continuum. So let's just let it go.
                  Or not.
                  Please don't assume things about me. That can get you a paw to the face.

Comment

Stop this now or I will close the thread. How's that for irony?

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                      You said, and I quote:
                      I have used forums on the 'net before web forums even existed
                      I'm not arguing the idea of community discussion places.
                      You seemed to be. I said 'forum' with no adjective in front of it, and you previously replied as if I had said 'internet' in front of 'forum.'

I'm aware of 'history'. I just had no idea how this is actually possible. How to use a FORUM ON THE NET before the net existed.
                      Ok; in my second reply, which you quoted in your quote above, I used the term for 'Internet' ('net) as something that existed before the WWW ... then, I specifically stated and gave references the 'net existed decades before the WWW, and one article was on the main 'net forum, Usenet, that existed decades before the WWW. Reread what you quoted (and misunderstood/misread: ) I used a forum (namely Usenet) that was on the 'net before the WWW (obviously I did not use a forum on the 'net before the 'net existed, because I did not say so, and it would be nonsense.) Again, the WWW is not the exact same thing as the 'net. Usenet, and many other communication areas of the 'net, such as telnet, email, FTP, IRC, etc., existed decades before the WWW. These are among literally hundreds of parts of the 'net besides the WWW and are not primarily accessed with a web browser (though now one can in many cases) that many people, even many younger computer scientists, do not know about...

I do not see any of this as 'dramalama,' or whatever. You had misunderstood what I said, and you seemed to want to know what I meant, so I explained. Now I have given more than sufficient explanation, so if any more is required, I will be referring back to Wikipedia with an acronym used on the 'net that actually existed in the 1970s, several decades before the WWW ... the latter of which I know you had not heard of in that time, but perhaps you had heard of computer networks or Arpanet (the Internet's precursor or early stage) or even the Internet... if only you had read the articles. Well, in this post, I linked again to one that would most explain what you had misunderstood, but it leads to the others I linked to above, which you would have likely gone to for clarification.

If you want to use Usenet, such as its pagan newsgroups, without a Usenet newsgroup (i.e. forum) reader program, then you can also access it in places such as Google Groups... but nowadays, it will be hard to find (if Google even has a link to the newsgroup list anymore rather than just letting people search for specific ones among Google's mostly non-Usenet groups.) One would actually have to read the article, or another page about it, or ask someone how to access Usenet either in the pre-WWW way or on the WWW such as at Google.
                      Last edited by Juniper; 19 Jun 2013, 17:26. Reason: Removed excessive linking to the same url. Seriously?

Comment

Locking this thread since the original request has already been granted. I should be dishing out infractions for the blatant disregard of the Moderator warning on the previous page. So consider this a public warning. But next time I will not be so forgiving.
                        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                        Sneak Attack
                        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
                        X