• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modern day pagan temple within Thessaloniki, Macedonia

Nashville of all places..... (Laughs)

Comment

I'd love to visit Greece - and if I ever do I'd definitely make Thessaloniki a place to visit.

As far as modern American temples go, we've got an active temple dedicated to Sekhmet just outside Vegas:

http://www.sekhmettemple.com/
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

A Egyptian pagan temple in Las Vegas. Who would of ever guessed that? Pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
          A Egyptian pagan temple in Las Vegas. Who would of ever guessed that? Pretty neat.
          To be fair, we also have a pyramid. But it's more of a temple to lost money than anything else, lol.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Really cool

Comment

The YSEE, not the construction of modern temples, is what I oppose. My encounters with their members have been far less than pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
                The YSEE, not the construction of modern temples, is what I oppose. My encounters with their members have been far less than pleasant.
                What is it about the YSEE that you dislike?

Comment

Every member I've ever met has flat out told me that since I'm not Greek and don't naturally speak Greek my opinion and relationship with the Gods will always be less than their's.

Comment

Hello everyone! :-) I will be visiting Thessaloniki this August and would like to know the address and contact details of this temple, so I can visit it when I am in the city/area, do they have a website perhaps? Thanks! Ow and any tips on other (Ancient) Pagan sites to visit in the area are also most welcome! :-) You can send me a message to gmail; benjzaminbazak, or contact me via facebook as well: ben.jamin.1444 or Ben Kaldorei there. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
                      Every member I've ever met has flat out told me that since I'm not Greek and don't naturally speak Greek my opinion and relationship with the Gods will always be less than their's.
                      This is a problem I have seen among the more structured groups in Reconstructionism--at least those who emphasise the ethnic part of the "ethnic religion". The connection to divinity becomes contingent upon belonging to the ethnic group. As can be seen in the more folkish branches of Germanic reconstructionism. A racist attitude that is only vaguely attested to in ancient sources--really depending on if you can separate "ethnicity" and "culture".

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
                        Yes, the YSEE did fund it.

I think the construction of temples and sacred places aesthetically to be a very important step in revivalism so I must respectfully disagree with your opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Directed towards Toxic,

I actually have ambitions of organizing large groups of pagans in the United States where I would like to see grand temple construction projects. There is a reconstructed Parthenon in Tennessee somewhere I seem to remember.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure what you meant with the slumping shoulders comment.
                        I'd be in on joining you in some sort of project like that, I don't have any resources now... but brain power is something I can offer!

If you want to chat with me, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Originally posted by Louisvillian View Post
                        This is a problem I have seen among the more structured groups in Reconstructionism--at least those who emphasise the ethnic part of the "ethnic religion". The connection to divinity becomes contingent upon belonging to the ethnic group. As can be seen in the more folkish branches of Germanic reconstructionism. A racist attitude that is only vaguely attested to in ancient sources--really depending on if you can separate "ethnicity" and "culture".
                        Yeah... some of those ethnic re-emergings in the re-constructionist groups get a little out of hand. Although, most of Europe over-all is undergoing a sort of racist, ethnic pride re-emergence... I hope it doesn't explode in the face of the world.

Comment

Working...
                        X