Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Share minor things you can do, in order to get healthier!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Share minor things you can do, in order to get healthier!

Let's share our experience of doing small things, which everyone can do, that will result in us having healthier lives.

Have you tried changing something minor about your lifestyle in order to get healthier?
    [4:82]

Re: Share minor things you can do, in order to get healthier!

Eat less processed foods, and drink water when you're thirsty!

Mostly art.

Comment

HA! I was going to say drink more water!!

And get more sleep!
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Frequent small meals as opposed to 2-3 big meals.

If you are looking to lose weight, or if you are diabetic, that small change can really have great effects on your health!

Try eating 5-6 times a day. Even if you eat the same amount and quality of food, you'll start eating less because you won't feel as hungry anymore. With time you'll find yourself eating less food that you even start 'burning' faster.

And if you are diabetic, or borderline, this will help your pancreas release an amount of insulin that is just enough for the small meal you are having.

Comment

Replace one unhealthy food for a healthy one like once a month. Like potato chips with the homemade variety (I like to toss slim cut potatoes with a little oil and seasoning in the oven until they get crispy, or tortillas.) Even one food a month will lead to a lot healthier lifestyle eventually, and for some people (including myself) this really is the best way to go, slow and steady.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I think a daily practice of different breathing techniques can be great for healing. We detox so much through our breathing. It helps prevent disease and oxygenates the body. I am attempting a daily extensive training of breathing techniques to help with my anxiety.

Comment

OOOOH! Going along with Shahaku & V--Make it yourself. Then you control what is in your food. For example....it takes all of five minutes to make salsa..and its cheaper and tastier.

Another way to get away from processed foods....ditch the microwave. Yes, there are some convenience foods that are stovetop, or that can be made in the oven...but most of the worst offenders are microwave meals.

And, buy frozen foods over canned ones, when you do go to the grocery store...and if you are getting out of season items from a source other thanthe farmers market, even over fresh ones. Fresh foods are generally picked well before they are ripe, and ripened enroute...but frozen foods are picked when they are ripe and immediately frozen. All their nutrients are frozen, waiting for you to eat them (versus canning, which cooks a good number of them out).
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

This kind of goes along with making your own foods.

Ditch the soda and commercial beverages - bottled teas, canned coffees, energy drinks. All of it, diet and non-diet. Brew some homemade tea or coffee, or get some seltzer water & add your own flavorings. It saves money, too.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I was going to say breathing exercises like Consciousness. This has helped me a lot to be happier and quicker in thought and action. Void or emptiness meditation aside from breathing practice as well.

Be kind to yourself. If you fail at a goal, it's okay, just keep trying. I'm all about the mental game (Positive Mental Attitude or PMA as Bad Brains coined it, with a little metaphysical push) even if I fall flat on my face sometimes in arrogance and self-doubt.

Play brain games or learn something new whenever the chance presents itself- or read different kinds of articles in educational magazines and websites, have informal conversations, etc.

Do some sort of constructive physical activity everyday, whether it be stretching, gardening or going for a walk- just get up and do something! Meditation and breathing work before and/or after adds more to the positive experience of self love.

Go outside at least once a day for at least 30 minutes. Twice a day would be better- once at night and once during the day.

Smile and say 'thank you' and be humble, and when you fail at humbleness, apologize and make amends if you can.

Laugh, even at the worst things sometimes. This helps emotion free itself from cultural chains and social conditioning.

Be yourself.

Comment

I second the above about going outside... and I also want to add, walk places. This isn't possible for everyone, of course, but if you find that you are driving to destinations that are only a mile or so away, start walking to them instead.

If you are fortunate to have a store within a mile, start walking to it, and buying only the fresh groceries you need for the day.
                    We will be the jerks the world needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Starling View Post
                      but if you find that you are driving to destinations that are only a mile or so away, start walking to them instead.
                      Another trick is to park further away from where you have to go. That way you'll be walking for a bit away from your car, and then when you return to your car!

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                        Another trick is to park further away from where you have to go. That way you'll be walking for a bit away from your car, and then when you return to your car!
                        That's great, and a tip that hadn't really occurred to me as an option for folks who live too far from their destinations to walk.
                        We will be the jerks the world needs.

Comment

Control portion sizes. For a while there (when I hit my fattest) I would only eat meals that fit into a cup.

Also, when you eat, only eat. When watching TV/reading/playing computer/on the forum you are less likely to pay attention to what you are eating and not notice that you are full.
                          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                          Seen the desert and the birds
                          You cut your hair short
                          Like a shush to an insult
                          The world had been yelling
                          Since the day you were born
                          Revolting with anger
                          While it smiled like it was cute
                          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Make breakfast your biggest meal of the day and I am a drink water person too. You would be surprised how being thristy will make on eat.

Comment

A lot of great suggestions here! I second a lot of them.

Turn on some music and dance around the house like no one is watching...even if your kids, spouse, or roommate is around. They'll think you're weird, but who cares? My boyfriend thinks it's strange, and still hasn't broken up with me yet

Turn tv watching time into exercise time. Do some stretches, crunches, squats, and lunges as you watch your favorite shows. Even if it's not for the whole time, it will help you tone up a bit.

If you feel really hungry, eat a piece of fruit. Always have fruit around you so that you can do this.

Comment

Working...
                              X