Sufism - Meditation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sufism - Meditation

I have been reading a nice book on Sufism called 'Sufi Light, The secret of Meditation by Ahmad Javid.
    The author is a Pakistani man who was born into a Sufi family. He had the opportunity of training with his Grandfather and father in Sufism. I have found the book to help me in my own practice with my deities (i just modify the practices to suit my practice). Those interested in Sufism I would suggest reading this book. Anyways below is an excerpt of a meditation practice that seems to be very powerful. To the author he thinks that reciting and meditating on the Name Allah is one of the fastest ways to liberation.

---------
    Excerpt

When you are ready for this step of devotional worship, you should sit down after performing your prayers, as mentioned earlier. Choose a place where you can sit quietly and peacefully all the time while engaging in the practice of meditation. Complete solitude and silence are of vital importance, but not mandatory.

Next, you should practice breath control by taking deep breaths and relaxing. When you inhale you should say All and prolong that to alla until the end of inhalation. When you exhale you should say ah. Together this should pronounce the word Allah.

You should concentrate on the word Allah: during inhalation recite All and while exhaling say ah. This should produce the sound of the actual Name, Allah.

You can also use the word Allah Hu for the purpose of breath guarding or control. That is to say Allah during the active process of inhalation and to utter Hu during the passive act of exhalation. The underlying doctrine is the same, which is to meditate on the essence of Allah.

During cycles of inhalation and exhalation, I find the sound of Allah more natural, easy to say, and effective in transporting my awareness to the presence of Allah.

Pas anfas, or breath control, is an important and extremely helpful tool in Sufi meditation. Each breath that comes in is a precious gift from God, and it should be returned with the remembrance of Allah. Nobody can reach God without constantly thinking about Him. As one Sufi has said, "Life without the thought of Him is altogether meaningless." Breath control, or watching your breath, while uttering All-ah during the process of inhaling and exhaling leads to concentrated recollection, which generates tremendous spiritual power that accelerates progress on the path of illumination.

The next step is the most important aspect of meditation on the personal Name of god, allah. This involves intense contemplation on the Name Allah, written in the mystic's heart, until it is inscribed in brilliant letters emanating the light of God.

Now you should try to write the name Allah on the heart, in your chest, with the help of an imaginary pen, or with the help of an imaginary finger tracing the letters of the word Allah in arabic calligraphy....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Allah.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	355977

Re: Sufism - Meditation

Excerpt from same book

The term Tasawr e Isme Allah Dhat or concentration on the personal Name of God, Allah, was first coined and described by Sultan ul Arifin Hazrat Sultan Bahu some 400 years ago. Sultan Bahu was a great Sufi saint, poet, and a prolific writer in both the persian and Punjabi languages. He has written extensively in the persian language-somewhere around one hundred and forty books on Islamic Mysticism.

Meditation on the personal Name of God, Allah, is the central idea of his spiritual teachings and the basis of his divine wisdom. All his work are essentially detailed explanations and commentaries on the science of meditation on God's personal Name. He considers meditation on the personal Name of God, Allah, to be synonymous with meditation on the essence of God Himself. He considers this method of meditation to be the shortest and surest way that leads to God's presence and to the attainment of oneness with Him. He thinks that meditation on Allah is like a lift that exalts the practictioner instantly to the higher levels of experience, states of ecstasy, and perfect union. In meditation, "Who begins with Him also ends in Him."

Through meditation on His personal Name, Allah, a two-way channel is opened between the seeker and God. As it flows from God it will take you back to God.

Hazrat sultan Bahu described meditation as a continuation of commemoration and concentration on the personal Name of Allah, culminating in a deep, meditative state. According to his teachings, commemoration and concentration are prerequisites to successful meditation. All these three methods of praying can be combined into One- or each one can be performed in different combinations, depending on the seeker's personal way of praying and meditative technique.

Everything created in the universe performs dhikr (remembrance) by uttering praise and thanking its Creator in its own way. The Sun, moon, stars, earth oceans, rivers, trees, flowers, and birds sing to the glory of God by glittering, moving, humming, fragrance, color, and beauty. Those who are in love with God will not only hear the voices of the creation but also His voice in every voice. Whenever, I see a beautiful thing whether flower, plant, tree, bird, brook, or rainbow in the sky-my heart admires His beauty and sings his praise along with the rest of the created things.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion!

I must say though, seeing a pagan advertising Islam is quite amusing.

Comment

Please be aware that the OP has requested that their account be deleted (for personal reasons) so they will no longer be able to reply to this thread.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
        X