a few heathen questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a few heathen questions.

You know, although I don't adhere strictly to any heathen code (or any other code for that matter ) I do subscribe to the idea that a little kindness goes a long way. I believe the world would be a much nicer place if we played fair and did what we felt in our hearts was right.

But here's the rub.... kindness is hard to quantify. And once you try to put values on things (my horse equals three sheep, an hour of my time equals a lift to the supermarket plus a chance to borrow someone's book etc)., it goes all skywest and crooked.

I would advise - if it bothers you - that you should follow your heart. If your heart is honest and true, then your path will be honest and true also. If you spend all your time doing profit and loss accounts in your head, then you'll end up knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.

In the example mentioned above for example, giving someone dry clothes isn't something you do in order to be a good person and show manners or hospitality. It's something you do because it's the right thing. And because you hope - though you might be wrong - that if you were in the same position, someone somewhere (not necessarily the man you helped) would do the same for you.

Just my two penn'orth ...
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I like to think that in busy traffic, if I let someone enter ahead of me then next time I'm struggling to get into busy traffic someone will let me in. I know that's quite a tit for tat example, but I don't get let in first, then help someone else out later, I'm always letting people go in front of me!

Hopefully that's quite an easy example to understand and that I'm actually on track with everyone's point here. But that's they way I see it!
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
        I like to think that in busy traffic, if I let someone enter ahead of me then next time I'm struggling to get into busy traffic someone will let me in. I know that's quite a tit for tat example, but I don't get let in first, then help someone else out later, I'm always letting people go in front of me!

Hopefully that's quite an easy example to understand and that I'm actually on track with everyone's point here. But that's they way I see it!
        Yes, very much my view - that hospitality/kindness is an anticipatory duty, and not simply reciprocal. It's very easy (I think) to let ourselves get bogged down in 'a code' without realising that its original intention was probably just to create a fairer, kinder society.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
          Yes, very much my view - that hospitality/kindness is an anticipatory duty, and not simply reciprocal. It's very easy (I think) to let ourselves get bogged down in 'a code' without realising that its original intention was probably just to create a fairer, kinder society.
          Anticapatory, not reciprocal, those were the words I was looking for. There is no point hoping for good things to come to you. Go out and set an example. Kinda comes back to the 'treat others how you want to be treated'.

RIP

You cut your hair short
          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Hi there, I'm one of the resident Vanatruar of the non-reconstructionist variety, and would be happy to take a stab at your questions.

Originally posted by Nordic_Wolf View Post
            first question: what are the differences amongst the heathen religions? iv'e heard here that some vary slightly, but iv'e never heard that anywhere else. and, amongst the variations, which one is closest to the origional heathen religion?
            I would say that, technically, it would be "none of the above" since the original religion is, well, dead, there's simply no recreating it EXACTLY as it was. If you were looking for something close, however, it would also depend on which particular culture you feel drawn to. Asatru (that is, Icelandic-based Heathenry) is very different from Anglo-Saxon or Frankish Heathenry.

second question: do some prefer to only worship one god? iv'e heard terms like "lokean" on here as well, but i was always under the impression that all gods were equally important in their own way.
            Some people focus on only one or a few deities, others have as many as 30+ altars/shrines in their home. I primarily honour Freyja, Freyr, and Njord, those are the deities who are most important to me. I do not honour Odin and Thor at all, but it's not that I think they're bad or that they don't exist, they're just irrelevant to my particular practice. There's evidence to suggest that Odin wasn't even head of the pantheon at one point (based on Tyr's name being cognate with Proto-Indo-European names for the supreme deity), and certain gods were way more important in some areas than others (Freyr was really important in Sweden, for instance).

third question: this question will most likely be answered with more then one answer, as opinions may vary. in the 9 noble virtues, it lists hospitality. but contradicting this, iv'e heard a heathen would rather steal then take a handout. self reliance is important. how does one distinguish hospitality or a gift, from a hand out, in the heathen perspective.
            Personally, I don't find the Nine Noble Virtues useful AT ALL as a code of ethics. I don't live my life by a "checklist" of virtues, especially not virtues that were created by an organization that I have some real issues with.

To me, hospitality means being a good guest and treating guests with respect, that's it. It has nothing to do with "handouts" (and, to tell you the truth, I think some Heathens can get a little thick-headed when it comes to self-reliance, sometimes, you need to lean on other people for support) and has everything to do with respecting people and expecting respect in return.

thank you all in advance for taking the time to read and answer my questions.
            No problem, happy to help!

Comment

Originally posted by Lokabrenna View Post
              . Asatru (that is, Icelandic-based Heathenry) is very different from Anglo-Saxon..........
              I I'd not know this. If Asatru is Icelandic heathery, what's Swedish heathery?

RIP

You cut your hair short
              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Asatru is the officially recognized Pagan religion of Iceland. Off the top of my head, Heathenry in Sweden is probably referred to as something like Folkway or Old Way (don't know the Swedish for that), similar to Danish Forn Sed. The term Heathen is used primarily in English-speaking nations.
                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
                Clan of my Clan
                Kin of my Kin
                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Ahk, cos I'm half Swedish, and even though I know none of my family over there, or speak any of the language or anything, I've always felt drawn to the north. Heathenry sounds like something I really want to investigate. I'm already quite adept with runes so I figure it's somewhere I should go, spiritually. But I'd prefer to look at the Swedish version of it, make it more authentic for me. If I study Asatru or whatever, is that still going to lead me to a more authentic Swedish path? Not that I'm interested particularly in re-con, but I want to do it right.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                  Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Ahk, cos I'm half Swedish, and even though I know none of my family over there, or speak any of the language or anything, I've always felt drawn to the north. Heathenry sounds like something I really want to investigate. I'm already quite adept with runes so I figure it's somewhere I should go, spiritually. But I'd prefer to look at the Swedish version of it, make it more authentic for me. If I study Asatru or whatever, is that still going to lead me to a more authentic Swedish path? Not that I'm interested particularly in re-con, but I want to do it right.
                    This is my opinion, and should be taken as only that:

Heathenry is about venerating the Landvaetter, the Husvaetter and one's Kinsmen (this includes, but is not limited to, one's living kinfolk and extended family, one's Ancestors, one's 'tribesmen,' one's countrymen etc). The Gods stand amongst one's Ancestors, but really aren't as important as the Vaetter (for those that might not know, the spirits of the Land and the Hearth). Husvaetter came to wherever you are from wherever your first Ancestor in that place came from, so you have some Swedish Husvaetter. The Landvaetter have always been where you are. I have no Native American blood, but I leave tobacco and cornmeal for my Landvaetter, while leaving mead for my Husvaetter. So it's important to know as much as you can learn about as many cultures as possible. Humans have always been mobile. We are all genetically tied to many places and peoples, as well as spiritually tied to many places and peoples. So learn all you can about all Heathenry. It's all inter-connected. One will lead you to the other.
                    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Clan of my Clan
                    Kin of my Kin
                    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                      This is my opinion, and should be taken as only that:

Heathenry is about venerating the Landvaetter, the Husvaetter and one's Kinsmen (this includes, but is not limited to, one's living kinfolk and extended family, one's Ancestors, one's 'tribesmen,' one's countrymen etc). The Gods stand amongst one's Ancestors, but really aren't as important as the Vaetter (for those that might not know, the spirits of the Land and the Hearth). Husvaetter came to wherever you are from wherever your first Ancestor in that place came from, so you have some Swedish Husvaetter. The Landvaetter have always been where you are. I have no Native American blood, but I leave tobacco and cornmeal for my Landvaetter, while leaving mead for my Husvaetter. So it's important to know as much as you can learn about as many cultures as possible. Humans have always been mobile. We are all genetically tied to many places and peoples, as well as spiritually tied to many places and peoples. So learn all you can about all Heathenry. It's all inter-connected. One will lead you to the other.
                      Landvaetter and Husvaetter sound rather interesting, and kind of relates to how I see my practise. I definitely see the earth as very important, and would like to include more indeginous learnings and practices, but I'm also interested in my history and ancestors (swiss and swedish). Is there andwhere else you can point me in regards to this?

Thanks very much Rick

RIP

You cut your hair short
                      Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Hrolf Kraki's Saga touches on Swedish Heathenry; although the title character and his kin are Danes, there's a lot of interaction with Swedes and others, and some reference to the Grove at Upsalla. There are bound to be Swedish sagas out there. I'll poke about and see what I can see.

Clan of my Clan
                        Kin of my Kin
                        Blood of my Blood

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                          Hrolf Kraki's Saga touches on Swedish Heathenry; although the title character and his kin are Danes, there's a lot of interaction with Swedes and others, and some reference to the Grove at Upsalla. There are bound to be Swedish sagas out there. I'll poke about and see what I can see.
                          thanks rick!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Heka, try googling 'sagas of Sweden'. After you sift through some video game stuff and a singer named Saga, there looked to be some promising stuff (but some of it was in Swedish, so I'm not certain what those were about).

Clan of my Clan
                            Kin of my Kin
                            Blood of my Blood

Comment

Okie dokie. I'll do that laterz. I googled Hrolf Kranki's Saga, and got a book writen by an american first, then something that looks more authentic, where should I head?

RIP

You cut your hair short
                              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Okie dokie. I'll do that laterz. I googled Hrolf Kranki's Saga, and got a book writen by an american first, then something that looks more authentic, where should I head?
                                Pohl Anderson is a sci-fun writer who did a very scholarly job on Hrolf Kraki's Saga. You can also find it (and much more) at www.northvegr.org

Clan of my Clan
                                Kin of my Kin
                                Blood of my Blood

Comment

Working...
                                X