Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Food Addiction: First Steps

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    First off YAY! Look, you gotta start however you start, and you are going to have good days and bad ones.

I do have one concern though--From my own experiences....looking at the scale is one of the worst behaviors on a diet, ever. Particularly from day-to-day. Your weight will fluxuate for so many reasons, that a scale just isn't reliable on a daily (or, I would argue, even weekly basis)--heck, you can "gain" 3-4 lbs in the course of the day (or for that matter loose it) without doing anything out of the ordinary.

When I was in the Navy (and the scale mattered), a friend of mine who was a medical officer (she was a nutritionist and also worked as a personal trainer on the side) told me this: "Check the scale once a month, about a week to 10 days after your period...and then tuck it away in your closet and don't think about it until next month. Write the number down in your FOOD JOURNAL--which should record what you eat and drink and what you do to work out, as well as mood, regular activity, major stressors, medical problems, and how you've been sleeping* (we've had diet convos here, I'm a huge fan of a "fitness journal")--if you've gained or lost, look at what you did that month and modify your routine. Don't focus on an individual day, focus on the overall trend!"

That has been the best advice I've ever had--when I've done it, I've stayed healthy and in shape, and done better emotionally as well. When I haven't, I've gained (or not been able to lose).

*lack of sleep and too much stress can be huge reasons for gaining weight, regardless of what you eat...and they can both also cause you to overeat
    Thal is sooo right here. I'm a self-confessed scale addict and I've seen myself fluctuate as much as 6lb (honestly!) in one day. I've started weighing myself in kg. Not only because my weight obsessed Japanese friends all talk about how many kiro they've lost or gained since I last saw them (is there any other culture in the world where it is considered acceptable between close friends to say 'have you gained weight?' when you haven't seen them for a few weeks?), but also because it sounds like less to me. Now I fluctuate between 45 and 48 kg and saying I've gained 3kg sounds nicer than saying I've gained 6lb even if my friends do gasp in horror when I declare it.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

haha I want to do the opposite Jem! I'm tempted to switch to pounds cos when you lose it feels like you've lost heaps! 4 lbs instead of 2 kg! haha

Scales are my best friend. So inappropriate, but still friends
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I feel like I am doing really well at the moment. I no longer like milk chocolate (I tasted it and was like BLUGH). I am resisting the naughties my family are stocking in the house and I am making logical decisions. HURRAH!
        There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
        William Wordsworth

Comment

Yayy! Congrats for making such a great start!

Comment

I am proud to announce that YES i still love pasta...but I do not need it to survive anymore...
            "My name is Lil and I am no longer a Carbaholic!"

Comment

I am doing pretty badly with the food stuff at the moment. Some further research indicates that I could suffer from food addiction (chemical addiction to sugar etc), Binge Eating Disorder or BOTH. I am inclined to believe it is both due to it seemeing to be chemical and psychological or whatever. Had to massive binges since Sunday to the point of feeling really ill. Considered making myself sick last night to get it out.
              There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

William Wordsworth

Comment

Have you considered looking for an eating disorder group? While I know we have a few members with some experience here, you might find it more helpful to have more people to converse with on the matter that share your struggle...
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  Have you considered looking for an eating disorder group? While I know we have a few members with some experience here, you might find it more helpful to have more people to converse with on the matter that share your struggle...
                  There are non available in my state

The doctor was useless and helpful at the same time. She agrees i suffer from both addiction and binge eating disorder but there isn’t a lot they can really do as they are still trying to understand it but we talked about what works for others. She agrees counselling will help with the binge sessions and trying to prevent them and has given me a referral to go to a dietician as well.

William Wordsworth

Comment

Sorry that things aren't going well

My only thought (and I apologise for it in advance) is that you were adamant about cold turkey being the only way, and now you're mentioning binge eating. I can't help but see these two things being related. Perhaps cold turkey isn't the best way?

:S

RIP

You cut your hair short
                    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I'll start off with the caveat that I didn't start off as an overweight person. I was in great physical shape when I was younger. It was growing older and a change of life style that altered things. What helped me get back in shape was food replacement and exercise. I found healthier alternatives that satiated my cravings. Apples danishes and apple pie became apples. Strawberry tarts or milkshakes became strawberries. I've always like tea so I switched from the overly sugared bottled varieties to plain tea (little to no calories), which I like the slight bitterness of anyway. On the occasion I get a craving for something salty instead of sweet I'll have organic kettle chips. I buy them in small packages so you don't feel bad when you polish off the whole bag. Exercise is the hardest part. I had to push myself to get through the first few weeks but when my body started changing things became better. Exercise decreased my appetite and it releases endorphins that helped replace the highs I would get from food. What especially helped was doing Yoga for stretching. Some of the positions and forms work muscles that regular exercise routines don't. It may sound silly but it's almost euphoric in some ways. I fully understand its not an easy thing and I hope you find a successful resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                        Sorry that things aren't going well

My only thought (and I apologise for it in advance) is that you were adamant about cold turkey being the only way, and now you're mentioning binge eating. I can't help but see these two things being related. Perhaps cold turkey isn't the best way?

:S
                        Well the cold turkey is great for my food addiction but I think it causes issues for my binge eating :/ Two seperate issues with similar behaviours but I think both require seperate actions. Confuzzling to say the least.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Jackdaw View Post
                        I'll start off with the caveat that I didn't start off as an overweight person. I was in great physical shape when I was younger. It was growing older and a change of life style that altered things. What helped me get back in shape was food replacement and exercise. I found healthier alternatives that satiated my cravings. Apples danishes and apple pie became apples. Strawberry tarts or milkshakes became strawberries. I've always like tea so I switched from the overly sugared bottled varieties to plain tea (little to no calories), which I like the slight bitterness of anyway. On the occasion I get a craving for something salty instead of sweet I'll have organic kettle chips. I buy them in small packages so you don't feel bad when you polish off the whole bag. Exercise is the hardest part. I had to push myself to get through the first few weeks but when my body started changing things became better. Exercise decreased my appetite and it releases endorphins that helped replace the highs I would get from food. What especially helped was doing Yoga for stretching. Some of the positions and forms work muscles that regular exercise routines don't. It may sound silly but it's almost euphoric in some ways. I fully understand its not an easy thing and I hope you find a successful resolution.
                        I find that I can make those changes for a while but the binge eating urges get too much for me and I just go nuts. I managed to go completely raw food for about a month and a half before I ended up on a 2 day binge.

William Wordsworth

Comment

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
                          Well the cold turkey is great for my food addiction but I think it causes issues for my binge eating :/ Two seperate issues with similar behaviours but I think both require seperate actions. Confuzzling to say the least.
                          But binge eating is quite possibly worse than food addiction. And depriving yourself of certain foods is causing your binge eating. I don't think they are seperate issues at all, and they don't need seperate actions.

MODERATION is the key.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment