Thread: Family treating

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Phrase
    Rawr

Family treating

Hello everybody!
    I am going to start from the beginning of the story. My name is Gleb, I was born In Ukraine and in 2000 we left for Israel in order to live in better conditions.
    I study and believe in the Kemetic religion (ancient Egypt) in order to achieve spiritual and mental peace. The Kemetic religion is the only thing I have left, but I am afraid to tell my family about this. My relatives tell me that I must believe in Judaism because we live In Israel. I am afraid of being rejected of the family.
    My only friend is about to leave for Canada so I can lose only my relatives with the majority of whom I don't have very good and loving contacts.
    And the idea that I am forced to hide my believes outside this forum is driving me mad.
    Can you please help a little with an advice or two?
    I will be thankful for your help.

Mar 2013
    Religion
    Christian, worships Yahweh and Jesus, but doesn't care if you don't.

Re: Family treating

I'm sorry you have to keep your religion under wraps, Gleb.

While I can't say everyone or even anyone will understand your beliefs, its likely someone will, and even if they don't, you can't just be alone. Friends are super important, so I'd recommend trying to make more. Which can be very difficult, I know, but going to meet some other people and getting to know them, and just being able to spend time with them makes life much more grand, even when they don't know some things about you.

Aug 2013
    Religion
    Hindu

I respect all religion but for me i follow the religion in which i have fate and gives me happiness. So convince your parents don't be scared and hide your felling. Choosing and following religion is your choice its human right and after all its your life.

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Modern Constructionist Germanic Heathen with Shamanic Tendencies
    Phrase
    You know what it takes, so do it.

Following a religion or a philosophy (or none at all) doesn't require anyone else approval or even knowledge. You certainly don't have to tell anyone what you do/believe.

I'm not saying you have to live in the broom closet because the broom closet is a terrible false dichotomy (where you are either in or out). Rather, this is a case of discretion being the better part of valour. Some people have a right to know some aspects of your life and not others. This is very normal. Just be who you are and pick your battles with your family.

Oct 2013
    Religion
    African Traditional

Quote Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
    Hello everybody!
    I am going to start from the beginning of the story. My name is Gleb, I was born In Ukraine and in 2000 we left for Israel in order to live in better conditions.
    I study and believe in the Kemetic religion (ancient Egypt) in order to achieve spiritual and mental peace. The Kemetic religion is the only thing I have left, but I am afraid to tell my family about this. My relatives tell me that I must believe in Judaism because we live In Israel. I am afraid of being rejected of the family.
    My only friend is about to leave for Canada so I can lose only my relatives with the majority of whom I don't have very good and loving contacts.
    And the idea that I am forced to hide my believes outside this forum is driving me mad.
    Can you please help a little with an advice or two?
    I will be thankful for your help.
    The thing is its hard to live that way, pity that you are afraid on how your parents will react on your new religion but still you don't know whether they will get along with it. One thing I know for sure is that whatever situation you will go through, there will be a way out and you will over come it but you need to take step towards your religious freedom. Find the ways of telling them and plan your next step after seeing their reaction on it.
    No sig for you.

Jan 2013
    Religion
    Devotee of Djehuty; FlameKeeper; Buddhist
    Phrase
    My monkey only comes out when the howlers ain't lookin'.

Why are they telling you that you must believe in Judaism? I would honestly worry about the government and social stance on freedom of religion, if y'all have that at all. I don't live in Israel, so I wouldn't quite know.

BUT, one thing I can say is that you could try to come up with an explanation that puts your religious standpoint in terms that are easiest for your family to really understand. I told my parents I was really looking to get into my heritage, and it pretty much covered most of what I am looking at. I go with the idea that life is all about perception, and you can help people understand your perception of life better if you can relate it to their perception. Does that make sense?

I hope this helped.
    Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Phrase
    Rawr

Thanks everyone for the support. My parents are patriots of Israel (my dad especially, that's why it's troublesome with him), they believe in the "being devoted to Israel, and believe in Judaism" thing. I have tried to explain this to my mother, and she understood it. Though she still suspects the idea a little.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^