Service Dogs, Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service Dogs, Anyone?

Hey, so I know this might seem a little strange, but I figured this would be the appropriate area to post this. I'll be getting a service dog here soon, and I'm pretty excited about it. Since I officially walk with a cane when I'm not moving about the house, he'll be trained to pick up things that I drop and open automatic doors, but he'll also be trained to aid me in public with what my doctor deems is severe anxiety disorder (recognizing if I'm in distress, removing me from a crowded area, retrieving someone/something [ie medication] on command if needed) stuff like that. The docs are all on board and think it's a great idea, but despite their support, I got denied from most of the programs I applied to, so I decided to talk to a trainer that knew what they were doing and find a breeder down here with a reputation for breeding really well-tempered dogs. My trainer has been in the biz for about 20 years and is going down to evaluate seven standard poodle puppies in August from a breeder a few hours from here. Six of them are puppy puppies, so we'd have to start from scratch. One of them is eight months old. She's going to evaluate all seven and pick the one with the best temperament and drive for the job. I'm having pretty much nothing to do with it, because I've -seen- the puppies, and of course, my first reaction was "OH my god, they are so cute!" ....So I'm leaving it up to her to pick the best one.

So I GUESS my question is, in a community the size of PF, I was kind of wondering if anyone else had a service animal, or had experience training or working with them at all? This will be my first time dealing with one, but the breeder and the trainer both have been really helpful. The trainer suggested I set up a gofundme account, and I've found a really supportive group of people on facebook that I can go to with my generally goofy noobish questions. But since I've been a member here for a while (albeit gone for a little bit) I got kinda curious if anyone around here had one, or had any experience working with them.
    It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
    -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Re: Service Dogs, Anyone?

I've seen one in action - A woman who used to live around here had one, and that dog was awesome. She would carry the lady's pocketbook in her mouth, and pick up things to give back to her, and help her get around in general. She was a border collie, and very smart. Best of luck with yours!!
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Thanks. I'm a little nervous about the whole thing but I'm glad I'll have the trainer to help me out. And I've never had a poodle before either, so that should be interesting. I have a special needs miniature pinscher right now so it will be interesting to see how they get along, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the whole process goes and the whole experience. The docs think it will be beneficial all around. I'll have to post pictures when he comes home. lol.
      It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
      -Adam Lambert

Comment

The only thing I would worry about is the breed. Like, poodles take a lot of maintenance from what I understand. At the very least, monthly shearing. And they are high energy dogs that need to be exercised daily. They can be skittish and have a tendancy to barking. Also, some of them aren't very good with children (I don't know if you plan be around kids a lot). However, they are highly intelligent and trainable so I know that's a plus.

But otherwise, having a service animal is a great thing. And they're allowed pretty much everywhere. I've never seen anyone have any trouble bringing their service animals with them. And I've worked at quite a few jobs dealing with food, customer service, etc.
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Yeah. I was made aware of the grooming responsibilities, but when I talked to the trainer some of the other options that were in the area either wouldn't work with me because I was planning to train the dog to be a service dog or had some really weird stuff going on. So far, this breeder and the trainer both have offered some really helpful tips, so I'm not as nervous about that aspect, and the trainer says that socialization is going to be a key part of the training. Being friendly, but not to the point of like... going up and licking random people/kids. She's going to come to the house personally twice a month and give me "homework", and I'm supposed to video as much as I can. It will be a while before he's trained enough to go into public with me, but that's alright. I think in the meantime it will give me something to focus on.
          -Adam Lambert

Comment

Got hold of the trainer. Pups are five weeks old as of Monday. She's going down on the 7th to check out the litter and then again after the Volhard/ABO testing is done. AND I'm getting closer to my fundraising goal, so that's awesome. Woot. I feel so much better.
            -Adam Lambert

Comment

Hey Kijani, how is it possible to donate? We don't have much, but I've been following your dog stories and I would like to donate whatever small bit I can to help you get your poodle
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Thank you so much Heka! We have it handled now, and in fact the temperament test scores come out later today and we pick him up next weekend, so we are really excited about it. I will of course probably be pic-spamming the hell out of this thread once I get him home. His registered name is going to be Princetin's "A Power for Healing" ... the "A Power for Healing" part is a partial quote from Shepherd Book from Firefly, and his call name is going to be Shepherd. As it turns out, when I mentioned the registered name/call name to the breeder, she was thrilled--she's a very nice woman and a born again Christian apparently, and she thought the name was lovely.

Can't wait to meet him!
                -Adam Lambert

Comment

YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY! Can't wait for pics!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                  Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Pics should be coming this weekend! We're picking him up this Saturday. He got absolutely perfect scores on the Volhard/ABO temperament test and we are so excited. I can't wait to bring him home.
                    -Adam Lambert

Comment

Pictures!

More to come. These were from a crappy cell phone camera, so as soon as I find my good one I'll update with better pictures.
                      -Adam Lambert

Comment

AHHHHHH *SCREAMS* He's so colourful! SUCH A CUTIE!!!!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I know, right? And he's really smart. He doesn't startle at anything and he's only been here since Thursday and has already nearly mastered the potty training thing. He can also already 'sit' and come on command. Of course, he has teeth coming in so at the moment he's trying to chew on literally everything, but that's sort of to be expected at his age. I'm so excited. He's such a sweetheart and I think he's going to be really easy to train. *knocks on wood*
                          -Adam Lambert

Comment

Imma knocking too!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Awwww!!!! Glad you got him!!!!
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                              X