Sources for beliefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sources for beliefs

You could say that. It's a collated work, so the stories and poems don't necessarily run into each other or follow any particular order. Also, some of the poems have been hashed together from separate fragments.

I have the Bellows translation, which includes incredibly detailed introductory notes and footnotes examining the syntax and speculating about which verses are genuine and which are interpolated. For example, the Havamal actually has five or six subsections and it's indicated that the original manuscript was in itself a collection rather than a complete poem. So with the Havamal we actually have a collation within a collation, so to speak. lol

I always intended to get a second translation for comparison, but I haven't bothered yet. I like the Bellows translation, and I like the academia that it includes.

Comment

So Bellows gets one vote, anyone else? haha

I've been wikipedia-ing it. From this, the Havamal looks like the second 'book'. Could we perhaps start at the top anyway?
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

The Voluspa is first in my copy and is much shorter than the Havamal.

You should probably start a new thread on this or ask a mod to split this one off... may be easier access?

Comment

Holland, Larrington, and Bellows are probably the most widely known/available translations, each with their pros and cons. I own each, I use Holland as my handy reference. The Bellows translation is on the sit I posted, northvegr.org. There is a version on www.heathengods.com but I don't know if it has footnotes etc. These online sources are free and downloadable. If you can find it, the Chisholm translation is good, and is actually translated by a Heathen academic.
          I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
          Tribe of my Tribe
          Clan of my Clan
          Kin of my Kin
          Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
          And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Yeah I'll start a new thread if we get enough interest. I'm still not sure I want to be the one to be starting all this. But I do agree starting with the Voluspa.

I've just downloaded a Bellows version Rick. You know lots about all these things, wanna start a thread?! haha :P

RIP

You cut your hair short
            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
              Yeah I'll start a new thread if we get enough interest. I'm still not sure I want to be the one to be starting all this. But I do agree starting with the Voluspa.

I've just downloaded a Bellows version Rick. You know lots about all these things, wanna start a thread?! haha :P
              Hehehe... thank you, no thank you. I find the Eddas to be pretty straight forward in their story telling and their moral telling. There's not exactly Zen-like thought goin' on there, just a lotta common sense.
              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
              Tribe of my Tribe
              Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,

Comment

Fair enough. You'd get involved in a discussion if I *cringe* started it? Your straightforward opinion would be useful I'm sure!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

As time permits, yes, of course.

Blood and Country
                  Tribe of my Tribe
                  Clan of my Clan
                  Kin of my Kin
                  Blood of my Blood

Comment

haha time...

*sigh*

So i propose, posting 5 verses a week, as per the original Edda discussion. Yes? No? I suppose I will do this, but Imma wait another day to get all peeps opinions.

I really want to do this though!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I would be interested in this if you start it up, I am just learning and it would be good to be involved from the beginning of the thread instead of playing catch up all the time ( my eyes go crossed when I try to read a big thread and then I loose where I was thanks to children's demands )

Let me know if you do start it up xxx
                      http://theheathenstudyclub.proboards.com/

Comment

It is a great idea, Its always interesting to see how others interpret/adapt texts.

Comment

Go for it, Heka. Even if there are only four people posting in there, it'll be worth it lol

Comment

I will, it's busy this week! (go back to school in 2 days, sooo not prepared! haha) I'm aiming for Monday!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment