Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ancestor Work

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
    Wednesday, I know what that feels like! No internet on a PC pretty much forced me offline for two years because I just got so frustrated trying to type on my stupid phone. Of course... you guys have surely seen by now how much I ramble. Keeping things short and sweet doesn't come naturally to me lol.

I'll chip in to the definitions there... the fylgja is sometimes expanded beyond just the fylgjakona, depending on what your persuasion is. The fylgja (sometimes known as a fetch, which is a similar concept rather than a direct translation) is considered by some to be a part of a person's soul complex and is a sort of spirit double attached to a person. It can be protective, guiding or sent forth on errands. It appears as an animal for many people, which leads some to equate it with personal primary animal guides, though this isn't strictly correct. It most often appears for men as a woman (which is then called the fylgjakona), and is linked with the concept of a fetch-wife (or fetch-husband). Opinions vary as to whether this is strictly true, depending on whether one believes that the fylgja is a manifested part of a person or whether it is completely external to a person. The fylgja is probably one of the things that has the most varying opinions amongst Heathens and Northern Traditioners.

I actually hadn't made that connection between family hamingja and the family egregore... though I'm not sure that it directly equates to what Monsno was talking about. The family hamingja would certainly be an egregore of some sort... even the personal hamingja would. Personally I feel the disir are actual individual spirits though, rather than created egregores.
    From the perspective of a slightly saxon focused pagan, the hamingja ,Wyrd and Fylgja are entirely able to passed through generations/bestowed to another. It does feel right that the hamingja is a form of egregore though there has always been contention about the nature of Fylgja and Hamingja with some using the terms interchangeably.

I take the approach that a persons hamingja is a reserve of energy that they can use if they use if they have the knowledge, as an energy source it is created by an individual/family and can take form and is autonomous to a degree. But ultimately is a manifested trait.

Ps:
    I am happy to find a forum where people use egregore in casual conversation, makes me feel warm inside

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
      My husband and I are looking to set up an ancestor alter and start some ancestor work in earnest. I'm Northern Tradition, and part of his increasingly eclectic practice is Hoodoo. Ancestor work is an important part of both of these paths (and of several others).

I'm interested to know how many others here practice any sort of (non-deity) ancestor work? I know that for some Heathens and Northern Traditioners, the deities are considered to be part of the ancestor system, but personally I separate the two out at this point in my practice. Others don't practice ancestor work at all.

So... do you practice ancestor work? Do you have an altar or shrine? What sort of things do you do as a part of your work? Which ancestors do you work with? What kinds of offerings do you make? Where is your altar/shrine? Do you practice ancestor work beyond a round in sumbl? How important are the ancestors to your personal practice? Share as little or as much as you like...
      Sorry, I just realised I totalt failed at answering your origional post!!

I don't have any alter as such, but there are places that to me feel comfortable for ancestor work, as well as times of the day.

In those places i make offerings once a year or more, but mainly is salutations and advice seeking.

Dawn or the dead of night are my usual times, mainly because that's when i can focus the most.

Primarily I use the ancestors for support,and advice.

I tend to use ancestors and local spirits over the deities. And as far as I know non of my ancestors became alfar.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
        I get you on that Wednesday! I was absolutely hating working on the iPad, I'm loving the new computer!!

So a Fylgja is almost like a familiar in some manifestations?

Where does one learn all this stuff? It's madness! haha
        Fylgja means "that which accompanies" and is generally thought to refer to the placenta. It's unique to you, and takes the form of an animal. Think "The Golden Compass", because its very similar to that. A fylgjakona is a woman that accompanies and is more like a Norn, your personal weaver of fate. But none of this (hamingja, fylgja, disir) is cut and dry because we're talking different terminologies that evolved over the course of pre-christian Germanic history.

The best source for me is Google Scholar. There you can search article, essays, and books that discuss heathens mythology.

The interesting thing about the fylgja is that it can appear in a shape that conveys to others your intentions and character. An enemy will appear to you with a wolf fylgja for instance. This connects it with the idea of thoughtforms somewhat, in that our mental state creates the form of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic discord View Post
          Ps:
          I am happy to find a forum where people use egregore in casual conversation, makes me feel warm inside
          Hehehe... at least... one that isn't all ceremonial magicians! lol

Comment

Working...
          X