Cursed Objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cursed Objects

I have a query for all here and would like you opinions (Professional, personal, and experienced) on the matter of cursed objects. Specifically cursed items that only affect a certain lineage.

My main question first. 1) Can the cursed object affect the person that is in possession of it even if they don't know they have it? (I.E.: A mother possessed a cursed object, didn't know it, unknowingly passed it on to a daughter and didn't know she had it till a long time afterwards.)

2) Can cursed objects draw or attract bad spirits to it?

Re: Cursed Objects

1) IME, no. An item only holds the curse that you believe it to have--it only has the power that you give it.
    2) Again, IME, no....people can draw negativity though. An item's energy is neutral...its the manner in which it is used as it is being used that determine what it attracts. Once its not in use anymore, then it doesn't have the capacity to do so. Don't get me wrong, it can weird you out with funky residuals, but it can't harm you.

It has been my experience that most "curses" are brought on by the individual that believes they are cursed by that belief...the curse, whether legit or not, is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you think you are cursed, you are...but not by anything supernatural or external.

When it comes to the idea of curses, its been my experience that (and I've said this elsewhere) few people have the ability to legitimately hex or curse someone (or work similar magics with any actual success), and even fewer have the ability to successfully hex or curse someone without their subconscious and implicit consent and permission. To be honest, the few people that I know that could legitimately hex or curse someone without their knowledge (or implicit assistance) wouldn't generally bother, if it wasn't for a good cause. Because, to have that level of skill, takes a certain degree of dedication and study and practice that most people either a) aren't capable of, or b) aren't going to bother tossing around curses without knowing where or why they will land.
    Last edited by thalassa; 14 Jul 2013, 17:42.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Generally speaking, and theoretically:

1) Yes, and
      2) Yes
      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

That is very good to hear. When my friend found a necklace that has a family curse (Italian) on it was in her possession from her mother, and I don't know if the mother knew that the necklace was in her possession either and my friend told me that the item was cursed (I can't touch the necklace without becoming physically ill). I have recently become very concerned that it might have been aiding in the negative things that had been going on around her (and possibly her mother). So, I turn to others more knowledgeable then I for answers.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        Generally speaking, and theoretically:

1) Yes, and
        2) Yes
        Can you elaborate on why and how?

Comment

I'd think one would have to decide if it is a curse meant to harm or a curse that simply serves to mark a family. For instance the Coiste Bodhar (death coach or silent coach) in Irish lore is focused upon a given family yet the Bansidhe (Ban Shee) may be seen as a differing curse in that it marks the death of certain families or it members. The Hope diamond is also supposed to be an individual curse that is directed at anyone who owns it so it may be passed from person to person by ownership.

PAUL MOYNIHAN profiles the harbinger of Ireland’s haunted highways and byways - the dreaded Death Coach!

The Death Coach. In Irish Folklore the Death Coach is known as Cóiste Bodhar (Koe-shta-bower), meaning death or silent coach and if you...

The Death Coach, also known as the Coach-a-bower or Coshta-Bower, is a staple in Irish folklore.  It is a large, black horse drawn hearse, p...

I do think a cursed item can affect / effect the person who owns it even if they do not know they own it. If passed down via famial lines then the curse is then passed to whomever gets the item. Regardless of the item potentially being something small or something as large as a plat of land or even a structure. I tend to think it can also be an energy curse in that it acts like a sigil or egregore and surrounds certain individuals or against the whole of a family and its descendants.

Attracting bad or evil spirits I think would be viewed against the persons perspectives. As I pointed out above, the Bansidhe can be viewed as a bad or evil spirit that is associated with given families or places. As such one might equate them as being drawn or attracted to certain conditions or situations.

In a more sorcery type scenario a cursed item can be created and unknowingly passed to an individual to call forth a daemon or demon to attack or destroy them. Yet i'd say that would be a one time type curse unless it was directed at the holder vice a named individual. A curse tablet i'd think would fall into this category as well. Historically I suppose one could also place the cursed weapon into the category where it is cursed to fail or expose the welder to injury or death.

Though personally I have doubts about cursed items, especially in current traditions and lore, given that the creation of such an item would require a lot of time, focus and commitment to its creation. A creation that may take months or years to fully create and bring to pass though something as simple as a hex curse might be done in a few hours or less if one is really committed to its creation. But historically cursed items from lore and mythology call upon great power, include great costs to the creator and often require the influence of a god / goddess or high level demon / daemon.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by summerbird View Post
          That is very good to hear. When my friend found a necklace that has a family curse (Italian) on it was in her possession from her mother, and I don't know if the mother knew that the necklace was in her possession either and my friend told me that the item was cursed (I can't touch the necklace without becoming physically ill). I have recently become very concerned that it might have been aiding in the negative things that had been going on around her (and possibly her mother). So, I turn to others more knowledgeable then I for answers. .. Can you elaborate on why and how?
          I think what you have to remember is that for a curse or cursed item to be really affective / effective you have to know it is cursed and add the power of your own mind and energy to its manifestation. To take something and assume it is cursed probably holds no curse other than what the person is creating for themselves or those around them who are convinced as to its power. In such conditions one might say it is a self inflicted and created curse from the assumption of such a status existing already.

I really highly doubt you have a cursed item in the truest sense of the word. However you may find they have a haunted item in that the spirit of the owner has not released it or been released from it and thus becomes earth bound. Yet that is a whole different can of worms than a cursed item.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I have a query for all here and would like you opinions (Professional, personal, and experienced) on the matter of cursed objects. Specifically cursed items that only affect a certain lineage.

My main question first. 1) Can the cursed object affect the person that is in possession of it even if they don't know they have it? (I.E.: A mother possessed a cursed object, didn't know it, unknowingly passed it on to a daughter and didn't know she had it till a long time afterwards.)

I have both created and worked with cursed items before. The answer to #1 is a resounding yes (and in fact that is how cursed items are often used - given as "gifts" to the subject of the curse, or snuck into the subject's surroundings [such as under their bed]) and #2 is maybe/sometimes. In some cases, cursed objects are created with a malevolent spirit sealed inside which can feed on and/or torture the subject they are gifted to. In other cases, either the object is shoddily done and there's enough energy leak that something malevolent comes around to check it out, or potentially the item has been made specifically to attract all surrounding malevolent spirits to itself (thus attracting all the bad luck they bring along with them - an area-of-effect kind of thing).

It's difficult to make too many blanket statements - there are as many curses as there are items to bind them to and potential reasons (good and bad) for said curses. But that's my general view on the matter.

Comment

As both a Northern Traditioner and a Demonolator, I may have slightly different opinions regarding curses and execration magick than some people. Execration magick is common in Demonolatry, to varying degrees of skill and efficacy, but is often not malignant. Execration magick always does harm, but not necessarily malicious harm to a person... it gets complicated when you dig into it lol. The Northern Traditions have many stories of cursed objects, as the Dvergar are particularly skilled at this sort of magick and have created many objects that brought harm to an unwitting person generations down the line. Also my husband has in interest in Hoodoo, which also has a rich culture of cursing and execration magick, although they don't necessarily call it that.

1) Can the cursed object affect the person that is in possession of it even if they don't know they have it? (I.E.: A mother possessed a cursed object, didn't know it, unknowingly passed it on to a daughter and didn't know she had it till a long time afterwards.)
              Depends on how skilled the person was who cursed the item. Most people who dabble in execration magick are actually very bad at it, whereas most people who do it on a regular basis are quite good at it. The exception is when there is a huge amount of personal emotional intent behind the curse, but that creates a volatile situation rather than a truly effective, controlled curse. Kind of like the difference between an unskilled guy firing off shots from a rifle vs a trained sniper.

Cursing an object is a bit more complicated than slinging a curse at a person... it's a little more like creating a servitor. There are extra anchors and food sources that need to be created, as a cursed object is an ongoing, living thing. A cursed item can also be created by binding an entity to it - either a servitor or a conjured entity - if one is skilled at that. Either way, if a skilled person curses an object then it will absolutely work on a person that doesn't know they have it. If the person was skilled enough to create a cursed object that affects only a particular lineage, then they are skilled enough to create something that is not affected by the recipient's belief. (Incidentally, it is also possible to curse a family line itself, but this is very difficult and requires experience with dealing with lineages, eg Bloodwalking, as well as just skill in cursing).

It's true that there are some badly wrought curses that can be broken fairly easily, or can be rendered useless if the recipient is confident in their own protection from said curses. But I believe you can't just say 'I don't believe in curses' and expect to be protected from the really good ones. There are a plethora of stories of curses and cursed objects in all the mythologies and historical traditions in the world. Execration magick is just as powerful as any other, in some cases moreso, because those who work it regularly generally have strong convictions and clear boundaries about such things, which means there is no ethical dilemma or second guessing oneself. Ironically they are also the ones that are less likely to be slinging around curses at random people... those same convictions and boundaries create an ethical system where execration magick is carefully controlled and not just slung around willy nilly. Creating a cursed object that affects a certain lineage would require a pretty hefty reason... to curse someone's entire descendant line... that's major.

The other thing to remember about cursed objects is that the old ones, the ones that were cursed generations ago, were created in cultures than saw execration magick differently to many people see it now. Some old folk magicks can construct a very good curse or hex, and have their own cosmic groove that can be tapped into by future generations. Old Italian folk magicks are one of those... and Hoodoo conjures are probably the better known. Some of the older execration magick systems also have different ideas about who is rooted into the curse. For example, many Hoodoo workers will throw out a very good, powerful curse if paid to do so, but they tie it to the client, not themselves. They are just doing their job... whatever ethical or magickal backlash there may be is on the client's head.

Depends on the curse. Curses aren't always malicious, malignant things. Execration magick is a rich and varied practice, and if you are good enough, you can use it for beneficial purposes such as healing. A malignant curse would possibly draw malignant spirits and astral nasties to it, but not all curses would. In general I agree with RainbowDemonic on this one.

Comment

Working...
              X