Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for online resources

Hi all,

I am looking for online resources that I can find information on the greek gods and goddesses that give you the oldest concepts/stories and beliefs about specific deities. If anyone has any links they could give me, that would be greatly appreciated.
    There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
    William Wordsworth

Re: Looking for online resources

One place you might check is http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/ it has a number of translations of older source material with much of it in the archaic language as well as modern translations of the material. http://www.metmuseum.org/research/me...e?searchtype=F is another good source for getting access to various journals and books without having to go through a bunch of hoops.

IN part though you have to understand when the writers lived and what stories were passed and modified over time.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

http://www.theoi.com/ is a pretty great site.
      Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Hellenic Gods is another good site but it was created by non native English speaker (probably Greek) so it can be a little rough in some spots.

Γῆς παῖς εἰμί καὶ Οὐρανοῦ ἀστερόεντος HellenicGods.org HOME GLOSSARY RESOURCE ART LOGOS CONTACT MISSION STATEMENT The subject of this journey is Hellenismos, the ancient Greek religion, and how to practice it in the modern world. We are presenting a purely

Theoi is probably your best bet for translations. They have an immense collection and they are usually the go to source for the Hellenes I've met.

A quick tip is to watch out for matriarchal or Wiccan sites. They tend to have their own very New Age spin on Hellenic Polytheism that will land you in a bit of trouble with a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
          Hellenic Gods is another good site but it was created by non native English speaker (probably Greek) so it can be a little rough in some spots.

Γῆς παῖς εἰμί καὶ Οὐρανοῦ ἀστερόεντος HellenicGods.org HOME GLOSSARY RESOURCE ART LOGOS CONTACT MISSION STATEMENT The subject of this journey is Hellenismos, the ancient Greek religion, and how to practice it in the modern world. We are presenting a purely

Theoi is probably your best bet for translations. They have an immense collection and they are usually the go to source for the Hellenes I've met.

A quick tip is to watch out for matriarchal or Wiccan sites. They tend to have their own very New Age spin on Hellenic Polytheism that will land you in a bit of trouble with a lot of people.
          I found the Theoi site a while ago and can have a lot of information on some gods or goddesses and be limited on others. I find the stories section a bit hard to follow.

I find most other sites describe artemis as the moon goddess and like diana but theoi seems to be the only site that states that she was not always associated with that and is very different to diana so it can get a little confusing!
          I will certainly check out that link though thank you.
          There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

William Wordsworth

Comment

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
            .. I find most other sites describe artemis as the moon goddess and like diana but theoi seems to be the only site that states that she was not always associated with that and is very different to diana so it can get a little confusing!
            I will certainly check out that link though thank you.
            Just my opinion but that would be because Artemis was a lot more than a moon goddess and in early lore is probably a solar goddess given the many references to golden things about her. However, many or most sites today are Wiccan or Wiccanesq in nature and try to pass her off as not only a moon goddess but also part of a trinity of goddesses, Usually Selene, Artemis and Hecate it seems. Yes she is very different than the Roman Diana though Diana Nemorensis (Aricia) was heavily conflated with Artemis of Ephesus and Artemis and her association with Orestes and Ipgheynia (sp) and Sparta (Orythia) and to a lessor degree Artemis and her sanctuary at Barunga (sp) outside of Athens and the Bear Maidens.

If you haven't guessed Artemis is one of the Goddesses I am sworn and bound to and have been since I was abt 6 or 7 years of age.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
              Just my opinion but that would be because Artemis was a lot more than a moon goddess and in early lore is probably a solar goddess given the many references to golden things about her. However, many or most sites today are Wiccan or Wiccanesq in nature and try to pass her off as not only a moon goddess but also part of a trinity of goddesses, Usually Selene, Artemis and Hecate it seems. Yes she is very different than the Roman Diana though Diana Nemorensis (Aricia) was heavily conflated with Artemis of Ephesus and Artemis and her association with Orestes and Ipgheynia (sp) and Sparta (Orythia) and to a lessor degree Artemis and her sanctuary at Barunga (sp) outside of Athens and the Bear Maidens.

If you haven't guessed Artemis is one of the Goddesses I am sworn and bound to and have been since I was abt 6 or 7 years of age.
              I have researched artemis about 3 times now. I discovered her main story when I was 12 for a school project and just fell in love with her. It blew my mind when I rediscovered her for reals a couple of years ago. I think of her as my main goddess and is the one I have had most experiences with (as limited as they are). I want to honor her original self if that makes sense. Same with the other gods and goddesses. I find information on demeter just talks about her being a harvest goddess but I think there would be much more to her than that given she is the sister of zeus.

William Wordsworth

Comment

I have researched artemis about 3 times now. I discovered her main story when I was 12 for a school project and just fell in love with her. It blew my mind when I rediscovered her for reals a couple of years ago. I think of her as my main goddess and is the one I have had most experiences with (as limited as they are). I want to honor her original self if that makes sense. Same with the other gods and goddesses. I find information on demeter just talks about her being a harvest goddess but I think there would be much more to her than that given she is the sister of zeus.
                Makes sense to me. I've been studying her for years and it seems every day I find something new or am directed to another place to discover about her. It's like the Spiro De Artemisia (Grotto of Artemis) in Egypt near Benni Hassen opened me up to the goddess Pahket who was seen by a later generation of Greek mercs as being the same as Artemis. Not dissimilar to how an earlier generation of Greeks equated Bastet to Artemis. When you read and research them you get a differing view of Artemis. Even the story of Orestes and his journey about the med is of importance to Artemis and perhaps Hecate and the spread of her sites of worship about the med. Orestes also ties into the story of Ipgheynia (sp) and removal of the holy relic from the Taurin region in the Black Sea area during the Trojan War period.

Artemis' origin story is really hard to find. The closest origin story I've come across is actually a reference to a much earlier Arcadian goddess who was associated with the wilderness and with a group of nymphs who were her companions. She was an elder goddess and seen as an adult woman so in that aspect was very similar yet dissimilar to the tomboyish Olympian Artemis. I do find it interesting in that Artemis is almost always portrayed as an older girl, probably in late teens yet the early engravings and such show her with a maidens top nott Chitan which suggests she was actually abt 12 in human terms as a prepubescent goddess.

Comment

Makes sense to me. I've been studying her for years and it seems every day I find something new or am directed to another place to discover about her. It's like the Spiro De Artemisia (Grotto of Artemis) in Egypt near Benni Hassen opened me up to the goddess Pahket who was seen by a later generation of Greek mercs as being the same as Artemis. Not dissimilar to how an earlier generation of Greeks equated Bastet to Artemis. When you read and research them you get a differing view of Artemis. Even the story of Orestes and his journey about the med is of importance to Artemis and perhaps Hecate and the spread of her sites of worship about the med. Orestes also ties into the story of Ipgheynia (sp) and removal of the holy relic from the Taurin region in the Black Sea area during the Trojan War period.

Artemis' origin story is really hard to find. The closest origin story I've come across is actually a reference to a much earlier Arcadian goddess who was associated with the wilderness and with a group of nymphs who were her companions. She was an elder goddess and seen as an adult woman so in that aspect was very similar yet dissimilar to the tomboyish Olympian Artemis. I do find it interesting in that Artemis is almost always portrayed as an older girl, probably in late teens yet the early engravings and such show her with a maidens top nott Chitan which suggests she was actually abt 12 in human terms as a prepubescent goddess.
                  very interesting! I found the different concepts of artemis on theoi interesting yet confusing lol.

I have always seen artemis as a young woman. So neither here nore there I guess lol.

William Wordsworth

Comment

very interesting! I found the different concepts of artemis on theoi interesting yet confusing lol.

I have always seen artemis as a young woman. So neither here nore there I guess lol.
                    For me it really depends upon which persona I am dealing with. The Olympian Artemis I tend to see as a younger girl, prepubescent in appearance, Taurian Artemis as more of a late teen early 20's in physical appearance, Ephesian Artemis as an older woman very much the motherly type, Artemis Orythia also an late teens early 20's type. I suppose in her Huntress persona the younger girl but not a late teen.

In many ways the Anatolian regions she is the older woman associated with fertility and fecundity, The Macedonian & Thracian regions more of a late teens to late 20's, the Greece regions a combination of the pre-pubescent girl and the older woman, Sicilian regions more of a late teen to mid 20's. Other's vary depending upon the lore I have found a given persona or purpose. Like at Burungia (sp) I see the older woman who is called upon for safe births or easy births and aides in transition from childhood to adulthood which usually occurs abt the 12 - 15 age time frame.

Comment

However, many or most sites today are Wiccan or Wiccanesq in nature and try to pass her off as not only a moon goddess but also part of a trinity of goddesses, Usually Selene, Artemis and Hecate it seems.
                      Just to clarify, Hekate-Artemis-Selene isn't a modern/Wiccan concept (although the idea of fitting those three into the maiden-mother-crone grouping is), but is a trinity that was around in the Roman era of Greece. Hekate and Artemis, and Selene and Artemis were identified with each other earlier than that, as well.
                      Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                        Just to clarify, Hekate-Artemis-Selene isn't a modern/Wiccan concept (although the idea of fitting those three into the maiden-mother-crone grouping is), but is a trinity that was around in the Roman era of Greece. Hekate and Artemis, and Selene and Artemis were identified with each other earlier than that, as well.
                        The most commonly seen pairing though seems to be influenced by Wicca more so than a tri-pairing of the goddesses who represented the phases of the moon's movement through the heavens. Especially given the old calender in archaic Greece was a lunar calender not a solar calender.

Oh I agree just that in Roman times it was more Diana - Hecate - Luna you saw more than the Greek names, especially at Aricia. The thing with Hecate and Artemis becomes really complex when you consider pairings such as Artemis of the Cross Roads was Artemis functioning in a capacity that reminded one of Hecate or Hecate of the Wilderness acting in a manner reflective of Artemis. Other's suggest that Hecate may have been another name for Artemis given her (Hecate) presence at Lagina and it's location in comparison to Artemis at Ephesus, Sardis and other Anatolian locations. Well that and the number of Hecate's that are created by Artemis such as Igphenyia being titled Hecate. Yet most of that is also probably an attempt to fit Hecate / Hekate into later history and pantheon structure.

Artemis and Selene makes sense mostly due to Apollo being identified with the sun so Artemis becomes associated with the moon. Yet her earlier references suggest she was more associated at the time with the sun herself vice the moon. Though it becomes a best guess as to when she actually becomes conflated with Selene and exactly which persona is conflated as at Ephesus, Orthia, Ortygia (Also its later connection to Ephesus as her birth place), Syracuse, Sardis, Jerash she is not so much seen as a moon goddess but a fertility and fecundity goddess. Even her persona in Arcadia is not a moon goddess.

But one also has to consider that her (Artemis) connection to the moon also tied in to her connection of her sanctuaries being located near running water, subterranean caverns / grottoes and its / their association to birth. Given that the moon in lore matched up to many womanly cycles it became another reason to tie her to the moon in that capacity. Yet consider Juno for instance who is also tied to the moon and occasionally seen as a moon goddess due to similar functions she held.

Comment

For me it really depends upon which persona I am dealing with. The Olympian Artemis I tend to see as a younger girl, prepubescent in appearance, Taurian Artemis as more of a late teen early 20's in physical appearance, Ephesian Artemis as an older woman very much the motherly type, Artemis Orythia also an late teens early 20's type. I suppose in her Huntress persona the younger girl but not a late teen.

In many ways the Anatolian regions she is the older woman associated with fertility and fecundity, The Macedonian & Thracian regions more of a late teens to late 20's, the Greece regions a combination of the pre-pubescent girl and the older woman, Sicilian regions more of a late teen to mid 20's. Other's vary depending upon the lore I have found a given persona or purpose. Like at Burungia (sp) I see the older woman who is called upon for safe births or easy births and aides in transition from childhood to adulthood which usually occurs abt the 12 - 15 age time frame.
                          Interesting how the view of Artemis varied by region. Perhaps syncretism is part of the explanation? As one poster already mentioned, numerous deities have been associated with Artemis. In the Macedonian/Thracian regions for example, she would have been closely associated with the Thracian Goddess Bendis.
                          If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Yazichestvo View Post
                            Interesting how the view of Artemis varied by region. Perhaps syncretism is part of the explanation? As one poster already mentioned, numerous deities have been associated with Artemis. In the Macedonian/Thracian regions for example, she would have been closely associated with the Thracian Goddess Bendis.
                            Her association to Bendis is one I find interesting. Figure that every known example of Bendis I have seen shows two things that are interesting. She always has a cap she is wearing that is sort of eastern in appearance and has a dog or deer standing with her, most seem to be a dog. Yet what is really striking is she never has a bow but is holding a spear type weapon. At times though it appears as a long torch which would match up to some later coinage with depicts Artemis standing and holding a long spear or torch.

Bendis also gets conflated with Hecate via the dog association for sure and possibly the torch aspect though Hecate is more conflated with Enodia as the Cross-Roads Goddess in Thracian lore.

Comment

Just found this site: hellenicdevotions.netne.net So far I don't see much mythic information, but a good assortment of prayers to the Gods.
                              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Working...
                              X