Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Church of England proposes "Pagan Church" to try to prevent people from turning Pagan

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Theistic Luciferian

Church of England proposes "Pagan Church" to try to prevent people from turning Pagan

So much facepalm. Oh well, at least Paganism is gaining popularity.

http://www.examiner.com/article/paga...e-rise-britain

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Staroverci

Re: Church of England proposes "Pagan Church" to try to prevent people from turning P

Much of what I read seems to scream "control the masses."

Then again, I'm very tired and I've ingested about 8 cups of coffee in the last 10 hours so.... it could just be my imagination.

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Re: Church of England proposes "Pagan Church" to try to prevent people from turning P

If one considers that the number of Christian - Pagans is also rising i'd say the church actually has a reasonable idea there. Couple that to the influence that Christianity has upon developing neo-pagan practices that appear more Christian than pagan it also makes a sort of sense. For instance consider the idea of a more one on one relationship with the divine originates with the Protestant refirmation vice older pagan / heathen practices. Nor does it rule out many of the more folkish practices that combine various aspects of magical practices and Christianity it again makes a lot of sense to try and speak to that aspect, consider things like the Pennsylvania Dutch Pow Wow magics or many Granny type magics.

What I find interesting is here we have a link to an article that was copied completely by a Wiccan High Priestess and appears as if it is being passed as her own work though a link is included within the article to the original piece.

Mar 2012
    Religion
    Theistic Satanism
    Phrase
    Strength in Will, peace in well-being.

Next up, Wicchristianity. Or Christo-Wiccans?
    I am a God in the making, report any glitches and bugs. We appreciate your feedback!
    If I thought gods were real, I would definitely let some of them touch me.
    Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Mar 2013
    Religion
    Neo-Wiccan Angelolator
    Phrase
    "I saw Uriel smile. Once."

Quote Originally Posted by SeanRave View Post
    Next up, Wicchristianity. Or Christo-Wiccans?
    Actually... There are Christo-Wiccans. It's weird, but I don't judge. In fact, if it wasn't for one big "no-no" practice I do, I would be considered a Christo-Wiccan xD

Jul 2013
    Religion
    complicated, heathen, animist, goetia
    Phrase
    Surgical high 5!

To be fair, it was one researcher who made the comment and later went on to clarify that it was not happening, it was just something he would of liked to see.

I can't see the church moving in that direction isn't official way just because there were so many issues with that type of thing occuring in the early days of Christianity in the UK. The Roman church got quite militant about stamping it out.

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Because people take the church of England seriously anyway? I know some people are religious and belong to that church, but it has pretty dwindling membership, and many who still go are kind of lackluster about it.

Also, when did the Church of England and the Anglican Church of Canada get so different? The latter is based on the former, but is somehow a million times more open minded.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Heathen

Plenty of English people take it seriously. I'm pretty sure this story has been myth busted anyway.
    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Dec 2012
    Religion
    Pagan

I don't think anyone is going to fall for that. It's like trying to troll but not realizing that everyone realizes your trolling. Even though you told them.

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch

I'm mostly interested in how they think that would work; Pagan church with Christian services... okay, sure. Now how do you expect to draw in any Pagans/people interested in Paganism? And if the center of it is Christianity, how is it a Pagan church?