Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ramadan Thread (that's not really about Ramadan at all)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ramadan Thread (that's not really about Ramadan at all)

Ramadan is usually a month of learning more about the religion and of increasing your knowledge about Islam and the Qur'an and so on. So I thought, why not make a thread, that would be active during the month of Ramadan, to cover many topics about Islam. Think of it as a crash course in Islam.

I will try to make daily posts in this thread, depending on audience participation (hint, hint, that's YOU!) because I don't want to just double post all over the thread. I will be mostly posting videos, but also sometimes articles. And I'd love to have discussions about them, so please share with us your thoughts about the stuff that gets posted in here.

I will try not to post very long videos, because I know in the end no one really watches those, but there will be exceptions! So depending on your feedback, we'll see what direction this thread will take.

I wasn't sure how to start this but since this is Ramadan, and the Qur'an was revealed in that month after all, I thought about sharing some very short verses of the Qur'an with you, especially since a lot of people don't know that the Qur'an rhymes (it also uses prose) in lots of places. I happen to think it's beautiful to listen to it being recited, but I am biased! (All videos are 1-2 minutes long)

Al Fatiha (first Surah of the Qur'an, turn on Annotations for translation, it's not perfect though you will get the message)

Al Ma'oon (meaning the acts of kindness)

[4:82]

Re: The Ramadan Thread (that's not really about Ramadan at all)

I really like this idea, but I can't watch youtube in camp! I'll watch them when I get home next week

Mostly art.

Comment

I'm keen! I'll watch them soon I promise! I'll be fasting again soon too!
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

The first video I always wanted to know what that chant was! they played it in the morning and a few times a day while I was in Iraq, apparently I was one of the few people who liked it, but I do, now I can play it! since I know what it is

- - - Updated - - -

I think when the Quran is recited like that it is very pretty!
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

These are both pretty typical of recitations of the Koran right? I remember writing a paper on zakat back in college, is that part of what the second one is referring to?
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
            The first video I always wanted to know what that chant was! they played it in the morning and a few times a day while I was in Iraq, apparently I was one of the few people who liked it, but I do, now I can play it! since I know what it is

- - - Updated - - -

I think when the Quran is recited like that it is very pretty!
            The first one is one of the things that Muslims have to recite in each of their daily prayers (Salah). So that's probably why you heard it a lot. Not to be confused with the Call of Prayer (Adhan/Azan) which is heard coming from mosques before each of the 5 daily prayers, to remind people about the time to pray.

I think it's really pretty, too

Sometimes it gets emotional for me as well.

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
            These are both pretty typical of recitations of the Koran right? I remember writing a paper on zakat back in college, is that part of what the second one is referring to?
            Yes, they are typical recitations, but there are many 'styles'.

The second one is talking about charity in general, and not just Zakah. It's about taking care of the needy and the orphans, and making sure no one is hungry or in need of anything.

Comment

Wow, those were beautiful. It reminds me of when I went to sung masses in South Bend and Pittsberg, though the text apparently reads much clearer and more fluidly in the Qur'an.

Also, there were people in the first video touching their faces during the recitation, at least it looked like it. What was the significance of that?
              hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                Also, there were people in the first video touching their faces during the recitation, at least it looked like it. What was the significance of that?
                The thing they do at the start? Where they bring their hands next to their head or in front of them? That's what we do at the beginning of the daily prayers, it's called the Takbeer. We also do it at the start of each 'unit' of prayer.

Today's Post: The 9th of Ramadan

I was going to start off by posting a video about a brief history of Islam, but I think I want to both talk about Islam from a theological point of view and also a historical one. It's important to know what Muslims actually believe in, besides just learning about history. Though in the case of Islam, history is important because it explains lots of the events mentioned in the Qur'an. I also want to sometimes talk about more spiritual topics, as well as more rational related topics.

So for today I found this 3 minute long video, of this really cool young man, answering the question, "What is Islam?"

The reason I chose this topic is because I think lots of people don't actually understand what it is to be a Muslim, or follower of Islam. What does it actually mean? Why do Muslims call figures like Jesus, Moses, Abraham, David and so on Muslim, when they all lived before Muhammad? Wasn't Islam founded by Muhammad?

I will discuss some of the points mentioned in the video below it, that way if you are too lazy to watch the 3 minute video (that was passive aggressiveness on my part, if you didn't notice) you can still read about similar points below the video.

The most important thing to understand is that Islam is a state of mind, or rather a state of 'heart'. It's the simple act of surrendering yourself to god, to your creator and to your sustainer. So unlike other religions, the name isn't based on a certain figure, place or group of people.

And this is why all prophets and messengers of god are in essence Muslims. Many of them, including Muhammad, were already thinking about god and his creations before receiving any kind of revelation. They just reached that conclusion by inner reflection and deep pondering about things around them.

One thing the video didn't talk about, that I'd like to talk more about here, is the religion of Abraham. The Qur'an starts a dialogue with Christians and Jews, trying to convince them to follow the religion of Abraham. It states that he was neither a Jew nor a Christian. He never believed or spoke about a Holy Trinity, for example. It also mentions the fact that how can he be a Christian or Jewish, when the Torah and Gospels were written way after him. Understanding what a Muslim means, will help you understand the point the Qur'an is trying to make. As the Qur'an puts it "And who is better in religion than one who submits himself to Allah while being a doer of good and follows the religion of Abraham, inclining toward truth?". Or as Abraham himself says it in another Ayah, "Indeed, I have turned my face toward He who created the heavens and the earth, inclining toward truth, and I am not of those who associate others with Allah."

Other two concepts which the video brings up, are the concept of Fitrah and the concept of everything being essentially Muslim in the universe.

Fitrah means the natural disposition that we are born with. In Islam everyone is born with the Fitrah, we are born pure and with the inclination to do good, and with the yearning to find our creator. Thus, there is no original sin in Islam (I might talk about this, and the story of Adam, in another post). we are all born Muslim. But it's our society or parents that shape us into other ways of life as we grow up.

The Qur'an also makes the claim that, "The seven heavens and the earth and whatever is in them exalt Him. And there is not a thing except that it exalts [Allah] by His praise, but you do not understand their [way of] exalting. Indeed, He is ever Forbearing and Forgiving."

So in the end being a Muslim, from the perspective of Islam, is just being in tune with everything else in the universe. As some people have explained it, it is achieving inner peace through submission to God, the creator of all.

Comment

This is very good to learn from, thanks for doing this Dumuzi. I already learnt something I did not know Islam is a state of being, not a noun.
                  White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                  sigpic
                  In Days of yore,
                  From Britain's shore
                  Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                  And planted firm Britannia's flag
                  On Canada's fair domain.
                  Here may it wave,
                  Our boast, our pride
                  And joined in love together,
                  The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                  The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi
                    Fitrah means the natural disposition that we are born with. In Islam everyone is born with the Fitrah, we are born pure and with the inclination to do good, and with the yearning to find our creator. Thus, there is no original sin in Islam (I might talk about this, and the story of Adam, in another post). we are all born Muslim. But it's our society or parents that shape us into other ways of life as we grow up.

Interested...
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                      This is very good to learn from, thanks for doing this Dumuzi. I already learnt something I did not know Islam is a state of being, not a noun.
                      Oh, it is still a noun, meaning Submission. It's just that it's a noun that describes a state of being, as you put it.

Originally posted by Heka View Post

Interested...
                      What's got you so interested?

Comment

Aha fair enough :P
                        sigpic
                        In Days of yore,
                        From Britain's shore
                        On Canada's fair domain.
                        Here may it wave,
                        Our boast, our pride
                        The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

so, do you feel Islam? (sorry if this is a dumb question)
                          hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

I'm assuming thats a question for Dumuzi but I personally am not very Islam.

lol
                            sigpic
                            In Days of yore,
                            From Britain's shore
                            On Canada's fair domain.
                            Here may it wave,
                            Our boast, our pride
                            The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                              so, do you feel Islam? (sorry if this is a dumb question)
                              I want to say yes, of course. But I'm still not sure I understand what you want to ask, can you clarify a bit, please?

(that's not a dumb question at all! I'm just a bit dumb to understand it)

Comment

Working...
                              X