Sometimes you have to live your faith.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes you have to live your faith.

So, I've been reflecting on that thought since I heard it while attending a Baptism in a Catholic church last Sunday.

The Priest performing the ceremony was excitedly going on about Pope Francis, and how he say's a complacent Christian is an ugly Christian, and that you must go out and live your faith. My thoughts jumped right to my Pagan friends, and how so very often you hear them use the term's "Lazy", "bored", or "lost" when explaining their path. It sort of came to me that Pope Francis message universally works for all faiths, and paths, especially Pagans.

Being Solitary is tough, and often in modern times is most rewarding on mediums like PF, sharing experiences with friends and strangers alike, but once we log off, and we face the world alone, that excitement and that fire is gone, faith can become a chore. In my experience those who find ways to express their own faith each and every day seem to be those whose faith strong, and reliable.

This isn't just a rant, I'm trying to make this as productive as possible, I'd like to know how people motivate themselves, and how they live, celebrate, and walk their path.

I'm not going to start with my own, but I'll jump in later.

Re: Sometimes you have to live your faith.

Well, I'll start, because I can relate. I walked out of Church when my priest gave one too many homophobic sermons, and I haven't been back yet, though I really miss church, and I'm still Christian.

I try to make sure I pray at specific times every day, and don't let myself skip them, especially bedtime prayers, no matter how tired I am. I also try to read the Bible before sleep every day at least a little bit. In my day to day life, I wear a symbol of my faith, a cross, to remind myself of what my faith means in my day to day life.

Being a solitary follower of any religion is hard. Hopefully I'll be able to learn from other people in this thread
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Talking to the gods/goddesses regularly (Basically prayer but I don't call it prayer because prayer means to ask a favour or request help, I just talk.)

In general appreciating life, and being at peace with death. Living in a way that would make (In my case Odin) a god or goddess happy.

Reading about their tales legends and stories, to learn more about their personalities and also connect with them.

Sometimes doing offerings or rituals spontaneously.

like Malflick I wear a symbol of my religion every day, in my case a dog tag with the Valknut on it and the word Asatru.

Just thinking about the divine from time to time, giving it some critical thought.

Recently I've been occasionally talking to YHWH, so I guess expanding your horizons and trying things you've been holding back from doing.

Do something risky or unusual that you know your god/goddess would like you to do, just to experience it and feel closer.

Spend time in deep nature.
      White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
      sigpic
      In Days of yore,
      From Britain's shore
      Wolfe the dauntless hero came
      And planted firm Britannia's flag
      On Canada's fair domain.
      Here may it wave,
      Our boast, our pride
      And joined in love together,
      The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Thanks Malflick! ^

Now I guess I'll throw myself in the ring.

I consider my path to be one of Earth Based Worship, with a touch of Druidism, and an intense interest in Wicca/Witch Craft.

The greatest Pillar of my faith is my physical and spiritual connection to the world around me, especially the mostly untouched natural world, which means even on days like today when the heat index is 107 degree's my spirituality is not well served indoors.

I've been blessed to live in the attic of an old Victorian home that looks over into the woods, there in my back room I've built myself a bit of a shrine to my spirituality, I have an altar, some plants, my ale brewing barrel, and all sorts of oddities (gifts as I call them) I've found out in the woods. I make sure upon waking most morning, I go back to that room, lock the door, burn incense and clear my mind, reflect in silence, and appeal to the spirits around me, to fill me with what it is I will need for the day.

On days off after my reflection I'm off on my bike into the woods, days off are wonderful, they're my days to listen. I may spend two to three hours wandering about, letting myself be pulled to spots that seem right for sitting and listening, whether it be the oak whose roots cradle over the back of the stream, the small pine grove, or the massive Maple Tree that I often refer to as "my friend". I always find myself surprised by the insight, and relief I emerge from the woods with.

Evenings often end with, a nice pint of ale, cider, mead, or some tea with a touch of Mugwort, and a good book. I often find thoughts left to be continued in dreams are sometimes the best.

Doing each of these things keep me quiet happy and motivated most of the time, it allows me to continue a life of spiritual excitement, which is more than I could ask for.

Comment

I think...we have a tendency in our culture to think our religion is a set of specific actions that we do...that religion is something we do that is separate from our *everyday* lives... That praying, or making an offering, or having a ritual, or taking communion, or whatever is what we do to be religious.
          I really disagree with this though. Religion is about those things, but...mostly, I think, its about respecting the sacred...about making things sacred. I do that every day. I do that with what foods I choose to eat, by picking up litter, by taking a moment to appreciate a sun set.

I don't know where I read it or heard it...but I have a favorite quote that says "let every action of your body be a prayer of your soul"...and I think that pretty much applies here.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

and speaking of wearing faith, my Green Man is always around my neck.

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
              Thanks Malflick! ^

On days off after my reflection I'm off on my bike into the woods, days off are wonderful, they're my days to listen. I may spend two to three hours wandering about, letting myself be pulled to spots that seem right for sitting and listening, whether it be the oak whose roots cradle over the back of the stream, the small pine grove, or the massive Maple Tree that I often refer to as "my friend". I always find myself surprised by the insight, and relief I emerge from the woods with.
              I envy this a lot. I feel closest to God (YHWH) in nature, and I could, and have spent hours just sitting in the forest taking the the glory and majesty of nature. Sitting in nature is a form of worship for me, but unfortunately I live in a fairly urban environment, and this isn't easy for me to do often.
              hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                Religion is about those things, but...mostly, I think, its about respecting the sacred...about making things sacred. I do that every day. I do that with what foods I choose to eat, by picking up litter, by taking a moment to appreciate a sun set.

I don't know where I read it or heard it...but I have a favorite quote that says "let every action of your body be a prayer of your soul"...and I think that pretty much applies here.
                I agree with you, and that's wonderful insight. Though, I feel for those young on their path, not having the perspective of experience can make things difficult for them.

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                I envy this a lot. I feel closest to God (YHWH) in nature, and I could, and have spent hours just sitting in the forest taking the the glory and majesty of nature. Sitting in nature is a form of worship for me, but unfortunately I live in a fairly urban environment, and this isn't easy for me to do often.
                I know the feeling, I spent a year living in the City, it allowed me to really appreciate the Natural world a lot more.

Comment

Working...
                X