Opinion vs. Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion vs. Application

I think that this is a good place to put this, but feel free to move it.

One thing that I've noticed a lot in myself, when it comes to how I use the forum, is that in a way, my opinion and the application of it don't always match up. A lot of the questions/posts that I respond to on here, are things that I haven't really given much thought to before. So, I take a few minutes to think about and formulate a response because it fascinates me. At the moment, that's what I think/believe/etc, my response is, to the best of my ability, accurate to myself. But it's also just a kind of gut reaction with a pinch of personal logic thrown in. And listening to the way everyone responds, examining that opinion more deeply, responding to questions, figuring out details, it really helps me develop those opinions and ideas. A day, week, month later, I could have a completely different response, depending on the situation, which is equally true to myself in that moment. Or I'll notice that the way I worded something doesn't exactly match what I was trying to get across. I love this place because it gives me the opportunity to really examine these things.

So, I'm just curious, is this the way most of you approach the forum, or is it more simple interaction, you're set in your view of the world, and this is just a place to share?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Opinion vs. Application

The way I use the forums is to learn and develop is by encountering things that test and challenge what I know and my understanding of it (aside from just being social too ).
    I've always liked a nice debate with people who are actually open to the possibility of learning/changing their perspective.
    It helps that you can then go back and re-read a thread and see if you have changed at all, and if so where/why and how.

Comment

It depends. I've been doing the Pagan thing for about 20 years now, and I've been a member of this forum for about 8 years. I've had the chance to think about most of the topics that come up, I've seen a variety of responses (and in some cases I've seen them IRL too), and I've pretty much (baring new information or a shift in paradigm) formulated an opinion on them, that I am now just expressing. But, over the years my perspectives have shifted, sometimes because of conversations (sometimes in spite of them), and sometimes not. I like it when someone has something new to share, or has a perspective I haven't encountered yet--its what keeps things interesting!
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
        One thing that I've noticed a lot in myself, when it comes to how I use the forum, is that in a way, my opinion and the application of it don't always match up. A lot of the questions/posts that I respond to on here, are things that I haven't really given much thought to before. So, I take a few minutes to think about and formulate a response because it fascinates me. At the moment, that's what I think/believe/etc, my response is, to the best of my ability, accurate to myself. But it's also just a kind of gut reaction with a pinch of personal logic thrown in. And listening to the way everyone responds, examining that opinion more deeply, responding to questions, figuring out details, it really helps me develop those opinions and ideas. A day, week, month later, I could have a completely different response, depending on the situation, which is equally true to myself in that moment. Or I'll notice that the way I worded something doesn't exactly match what I was trying to get across. I love this place because it gives me the opportunity to really examine these things.

So, I'm just curious, is this the way most of you approach the forum, or is it more simple interaction, you're set in your view of the world, and this is just a place to share?
        Sometimes, you can think or feel or believe something to be true and right, but it's not practical to try and exercise that opinion in real life. Which is why we come to forums and blogs and such to debate and flex our thinking muscles. We play 'what if' games to work things over. If you find that you can apply your solidifying concepts of life into everyday applications, it is a gratifying feeling.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I agree with Optimistic Discord, and strive to be like Thal
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Sometimes I don't even know my opinion on something until I voice it. A lot of it is based on thay gut feeling, like you said, with a bit of logic. But that gut feeling is probably also based in experience and logic.

Over time, my opinion on something will change or differ. Either by minute details or completely changing. If you keep the same stuck in stone mindset, there is a chance you aren't growing. On the other hand, if you flip flop too much, you won't get anywhere.

Comment

A lot of the time, if I've never thought about the topic or if it doesn't really interest me, I won't clutter the thread with my thoughts, or non-thoughts. But on occasion, if I think there's a single point I could add- even if it's pretty secluded and I have never come into an experience that has required me to really ponder the matter in both the small and large scheme of things, I'll still make my point.

If it's something I really find intriguing, I tend to just ghost the thread though.

Comment

I think that's a healthy way to be, most of the time. Part of any good discussion is learning from points other people have to make and growing in your beliefs and as a person. Whenever I debate with my boyfriend, which is like every day because he's a very opinionated person, I always come away from the discussion with new understanding and perspective, not only of the topic at hand but also of myself!

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                  Sometimes, you can think or feel or believe something to be true and right, but it's not practical to try and exercise that opinion in real life. Which is why we come to forums and blogs and such to debate and flex our thinking muscles. We play 'what if' games to work things over. If you find that you can apply your solidifying concepts of life into everyday applications, it is a gratifying feeling.
                  This has really struck me. The right vs practical argument. There's a ton of things I feel are right, many of which I'm really not sure on, but the majority of which just simply are not practical at all. I realize that, but it's really unfortunate.

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                  A lot of the time, if I've never thought about the topic or if it doesn't really interest me, I won't clutter the thread with my thoughts, or non-thoughts. But on occasion, if I think there's a single point I could add- even if it's pretty secluded and I have never come into an experience that has required me to really ponder the matter in both the small and large scheme of things, I'll still make my point.

If it's something I really find intriguing, I tend to just ghost the thread though.
                  I like to make my presence be known . Which is why I don't like to ghost threads, though I do on a lot of them. Thinking about that though, it's really odd. Because IRL I'm quite shy and tend to be very quiet and a little introverted. In fact, the majority of my socializing is through this very website... which is why I'm quite excited and quite nervous at the same time about this get together we're looking forward to.

Originally posted by Astrayus View Post
                  Sometimes I don't even know my opinion on something until I voice it. A lot of it is based on thay gut feeling, like you said, with a bit of logic. But that gut feeling is probably also based in experience and logic.

Over time, my opinion on something will change or differ. Either by minute details or completely changing. If you keep the same stuck in stone mindset, there is a chance you aren't growing. On the other hand, if you flip flop too much, you won't get anywhere.
                  I can flip flop quite a bit. I'm working on not doing that too much, because I'm really starting to feel the not getting anywhere aspect of it some days. So I get that completely.
                  We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                  -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
                  X