X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PF (US) Gathering Time Poll

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
    The problem is his video game addiction, also the things you have mentioned are on his list of downsides... mostly I plan to play up on the "make lady happy" side :P

As a note I think those things sound like fun, but have never been camping before, not like camping, I have been on FTX but not camping...
    Maybe we can have a halo style paintball war... to interest all the gamers out there. We have a paintball gun, and I know some friends that have some.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I just have to say that I love the fact that August is a close second. And for two reasons:

First, The Minnesota Renaissance Festival!! August & September weekends.

The Minnesota Renaissance Festival began its journey in September of 1971 on a 22 acre field in Jonathan, MN. More than 25,000 people visited the two weekend grand opening of the festival then named “A Celebration of Nature, Art, and Life!” That celebration has since relocated to Shakopee, MN and has grown to be the largest Renaissance Festival in the United States with an annual attendance of 300,000.
      (From their site, for this year)

Second, The Minnesota State Fair!!! The 12 days leading up to, and including, Labor Day.

The Minnesota State Fair is the largest 12 day event in North America, attracting nearly 1.8 million visitors annually.
      Minnesotaʼs State Fair is the third largest event in the country and the second largest State Fair in the country.
      (From their website, this year.)

If one or both of these coincide with a PF gathering, it gives people something besides this 50+ acre farm to hang out at, and enjoy. I've been to both more than a few dozen times, and the RenFest is way better, hands down. [Er... In my opinion.] Though the concerts at the state fair can sometimes be megastars. Sometimes. I just can't go to 'em anymore
      (Oh, and that's NOT to mention the overblown waste of space called the Mall of America, that so many people visit, just to say they were there.)

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
        (Oh, and that's NOT to mention the overblown waste of space called the Mall of America, that so many people visit, just to say they were there.)
        I've been there! lol I only go because I still find the indoor amusement park amusing. And it's as cheap as it gets for unlimited roller coaster rides. Otherwise... it's too much walking not enough interesting.

And the Ren fair is amazing. I went when I was around 15 and I was seriously impressed. (Bring some $$$ though, there's lots of cool stuff to buy)
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
          Maria de Luna- You could always just leave him at home to play his video games. I know I probably will be doing the same cause I doubt we'd BOTH be able to take the time off of work and everything at the same time if it turns out that I'll be able to go.
          I would except it would be the only vacation time I could take off (not proper vacation time, but) and I like vacations together, we don't get to enough... I think I may have convinced him to go, if it isn't too hot... Maybe I will neglect to mention that the air conditioning in the truck doesn't work.......
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I would except it would be the only vacation time I could take off (not proper vacation time, but) and I like vacations together, we don't get to enough... I think I may have convinced him to go, if it isn't too hot... Maybe I will neglect to mention that the air conditioning in the truck doesn't work.......
            Aaah. I know that feeling. My husband's military so for the first 4.5 years he's been in I got to see him a total of 7 weeks in 4.5 years, so we're kinda used to the whole "Oh, you've got somethin you gotta go do? Cool, have fun, be safe" if it's not exactly our thing, or really able to go as well.

Also SQUEEEEE RENFAIR!!!!!! And the halo style paintball thing sounds AMAZING. I'd totally be down for that ^_^
            Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
            Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
            sigpic

Comment

can i change my availability vote from Sept to August? Found out haw hard it is to take off at the new Job In Sept with the mushroom and brewers festivals both held in that month...

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
                Also SQUEEEEE RENFAIR!!!!!! And the halo style paintball thing sounds AMAZING. I'd totally be down for that ^_^
                We'd have to be sure Chain is okay with us painting his trees (I'm so glad I figured out how to use smilies...anyway). How long are we looking at this event lasting? Quite a few people are going to have to drive quite a ways. I've been assuming it would be a weekend, but will two days be enough to satisfy everyone? Or is it going to be like, we'll be open for a week, come when you can as long as you can? And is Sat/Sun the best option for the majority? I know lots of jobs these days don't have regular Mon-Fri 9-5 type hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                  We'd have to be sure Chain is okay with us painting his trees (I'm so glad I figured out how to use smilies...anyway). How long are we looking at this event lasting? Quite a few people are going to have to drive quite a ways. I've been assuming it would be a weekend, but will two days be enough to satisfy everyone? Or is it going to be like, we'll be open for a week, come when you can as long as you can? And is Sat/Sun the best option for the majority? I know lots of jobs these days don't have regular Mon-Fri 9-5 type hours.
                  I'm pretty sure the idea was to have a weeklong shindig. For a lot of us, I think we live too far away to make a weekend event really worth it. I mean, I'm coming from Northern Canada - where I live now, it's like a 5 day drive just to get to chain's house (okay, maybe 3...if I don't sleep).

But I suspect you could show up whenever you felt like it, and leave whenever you felt like it.

Mostly art.

Comment

Yeah I was going to hang out for probably a week. Taking away about 4 days (2 on each end of the week for driving) since it takes me about 24 hrs of straight driving to get from my place to Chain's.
                    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                    Sneak Attack
                    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

September. I absolutely love the fall.

But honestly, I can take off work whenever. I would need to check with V to see what works for her, or where I could meet her so she doesn't have to go so far out of her way, but ultimately my schedule is flexible.
                      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

At this point, the timing is still pretty flexible, for throwing such an event. But the idea is something like a 9-day window, involving two consecutive weekends. I think that would provide the most opportunity for the most people to be able to plan around. Personally, I haven't been able to hobble out to camp for a few years now but I've spent a few summers with just brief visits to the house (web access, showers, laundry etc) during extended camp outs.

For you few paintball lovers, here's where I stand on that question: We have a neighbor, whose son is a scout leader, or some such, that has brought his troupe into these woods, more than a few times, just for the paintball wars. We've even held family competitions, back when I was still agile enough to take part in them. In fact, there may still be some supplies, around here, if the kids [can I still call my kids 'kids' even if they have kids of their own, now?] didn't use 'em up.

What I'd like to do, next, before any more polls, is set up a discussion group specifically for organizing the event. A special usergroup with its own private board, where we can hammer out a lot more details, without detracting from the site, here.

So, for those interested in being a part of the inception, conception and planning of this gathering? Please PM one of the staff, here, to join the First Annual PF Get-Together Planning Committee in a private chat.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I wish I could come along Next year. Next. Year.

Comment

Originally posted by Almost_lost View Post
                            I wish I could come along Next year. Next. Year.
                            It would be next year love!

~Jim Butcher

Comment

It would be next year love!
                              Huzzah! TO THE INTERNETS to search for prices!

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

Originally posted by Almost_lost View Post
                                Huzzah! TO THE INTERNETS to search for prices!

- - - Updated - - -

YAh know, if you just flew like to here on the east coast and carpooled, it would proly be cheaper!

(plans to drive thru KY and kidnap Rafe)
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X