X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heathen Q&A

[quote author=Thjoth link=topic=92.msg2757#msg2757 date=1287095499]
    I probably don't want to know what the person on the receiving end of that did to deserve it. Although the potency was probably somewhat reduced due to the lack of an actual horse head, that's like saying that Hiroshima wasn't that bad because it wasn't one of our modern warheads...it's a little moot once it gets to that point.
    [/quote]

I honestly don't think that using an actual horse's head would work today like it did for our ancestors. The horse was a damned important aspect of life back then. It doesn't have the same meaning, that same value today, although I admit to a lack of knowledge as to what would best replace it in modern times.
    "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

[quote author=Crimson Horizons link=topic=92.msg2766#msg2766 date=1287098107]
      I honestly don't think that using an actual horse's head would work today like it did for our ancestors. The horse was a damned important aspect of life back then. It doesn't have the same meaning, that same value today, although I admit to a lack of knowledge as to what would best replace it in modern times.
      [/quote]

If it were my husband, the X-box
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I don't know, I have 5 horses and they're still prohibitively expensive and require a huge amount of time and money to keep in good health...
        "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
        -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
        without his weapons of war;
        for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
        of a spear on the way without.
        -

Comment

If an important object could do it then I'd say a car would work pretty well. A horse is more than a possession though. It's a life and that may change things.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Yeah, plus you're trying to enrage the landvaettir, so it would almost have to be either an animal sacrifice or made from wood or some other organic material. I don't think something that's entirely artificial would have the same effect on them.
            "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
            -Thomas Jefferson

-

Comment

WOW four pages since yesterday.

The idea of using a horse is that you are using the soul of the animal to carry the curse.

I think someone in a drunken stupor beating and putting a family member in the hospital would warrant a nid.

As to a good possible alternative to mead in regards with Wodan I would go with coffee it seemed acceptable when I needed to make a quick offering to him.

I suggest offering Tyr a beer or mead of course. I would think Tyr being who he is would take anything you offer and share with him. I see Tyr as being the most practical of the gods.

You can not go wrong by offering Frigg apple cider.

I have seen some confusion over Freya and Frigg being different or one and the same in what is now Germany. Some of what I have seen is that Frey and Freya are the most worshipped in that area and that is what has led to the confusion. The confusion has also been brought by people who think that all knowledge came from India or the Middle East and the European culture has to be an offshoot of that since there is only one god and those Northmen were nothing but superstitious savages.

Blessed are the rich, for they possess the earth and its glory.
              Blessed are the strong, for they can conquer kingdoms.
              Blessed are they with strong kinsmen, for they shall find help.
              Blessed are the warlike, for they shall win wealth and renown.
              Jones, George Fenwick
              Honor in German Literature

Comment

A lot of my ancestry is from the Northern European area. Mostly Scotland, Wales and them places. I don't know exactly where. But seeing that I don't really have much of a chosen path, I've always been intrigued (at least) by those paths. My biggest question is (and I truly don't mean to offend)... Are the Heathen gods high maintenance or do they just kind of go with the flow?
                In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

[quote author=Oshii link=topic=92.msg2964#msg2964 date=1287127305]
                  A lot of my ancestry is from the Northern European area. Mostly Scotland, Wales and them places. I don't know exactly where. But seeing that I don't really have much of a chosen path, I've always been intrigued (at least) by those paths. My biggest question is (and I truly don't mean to offend)... Are the Heathen gods high maintenance or do they just kind of go with the flow?
                  [/quote]

How do you mean?

They are high maintenance in that they expect frith, honour, respect, honesty, dedication, hospitality, etc.

They "kinda go with the flow" in that they accept what is in store for them... kinda... Odin isn't very happy that he will die at Ragnarok and he keeps trying to alter that... actually, they don't really "go with the flow" at all...

They call Heathenry/Asatru the "religion with homework" for a reason.
                  "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

[quote author=ThorsSon link=topic=92.msg2983#msg2983 date=1287134498]
                    They call Heathenry/Asatru the "religion with homework" for a reason.
                    [/quote]

Yeah, hope you like reading :P

Seriously though, it only takes a limited amount of research skill to comfortably figure things out (especially since most of the sources have already been found for you), it's just a pretty decent volume of material to sift through. And I do mean "sift", you have to separate fact from probability from possibility from fiction from fabrication, so you have to keep your brain engaged the whole time. Personally, this is the line of work I'm going into so I don't much mind it

Maybe one of these days I'll start a general "principles of basic historical research" thread to help people with technique...
                    -Thomas Jefferson

-

Comment

[quote author=Grim link=topic=92.msg2947#msg2947 date=1287123845]

I have seen some confusion over Freya and Frigg being different or one and the same in what is now Germany. Some of what I have seen is that Frey and Freya are the most worshipped in that area and that is what has led to the confusion. The confusion has also been brought by people who think that all knowledge came from India or the Middle East and the European culture has to be an offshoot of that since there is only one god and those Northmen were nothing but superstitious savages.
                      [/quote]

Grim, this is what I mean by a linguistic basis.

All European languages (and some from Northern India), share a theoretical root, sometimes called Indo-Eruopean.

Words like Frigg and Freya are believed to share the same Old High German root, Fraujaz, meaning a more generic "lady"(hate, hate hate to resort to Wiki links, but here) , the same way the proto-germanic Tiwaz shows up both as the root of the name Tyr, and as a general title for gods, including Odin.

The idea is that rather then being proper names, they are titles for deity, like "lord" or "lady", that then turned into proper names, in this case undergoing dialect changes and being associated in slightly different forms with different goddesses.

The idea of Indo-European roots is not that "people who think that all knowledge came from India or the Middle East and the European culture has to be an offshoot of that since there is only one god and those Northmen were nothing but superstitious savages", but rather the result of linguistics doing it's very best to use scientific method to establish which European dialects came first, in essence, charting a migration pattern that is also supported by archeological evidence.
                      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=92.msg3035#msg3035 date=1287153750]
                        All European languages (and some from Northern India), share a theoretical root, sometimes called Indo-Eruopean.
                        [/quote]

Sorry about bumping into conversation like this, but I just wanted to say that not all European languages are Indo-European. At least Finnish, Estonian and Hungarian are not.

My actual question is that is Finnish reconstuctionism considered as heathenism usually? Why? I didn't think so until I saw it being listed on the list of different types of heathens (maybe on the page 2?).

Comment

Culture goes across borders...
                          Heathenry did reach The Finns, The Hungarians and the the pre-Russians (The Rus), because of interbreeding. Acceptance of the traditions happened mostlikely after mass migration, commerce and war.

The best example is given by Catholics... you can find Catholic Chineses in Asia.

Comment

So by Finnish heathens you mean Finnish recons or the adaptation of Norse/Germanic gods into culture in some regions (In the west and south coast I'd guess)? My original purpose was to ask if you consider Finnish reconstructionism to be a form of this Norse/Germanic/Islandic path of heathenism or a compeletely different religion which is just practiced in Northern Europe and called heathen because of that.

Comment

It's called Heathen because, they believe in multiple Gods, they revere their ancestors, they follow a rite of honor and oath.

Comment

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=92.msg3154#msg3154 date=1287170369]
                                Sorry about bumping into conversation like this, but I just wanted to say that not all European languages are Indo-European. At least Finnish, Estonian and Hungarian are not.
                                [/quote]

True. Thanks for pointing that out, pihlaja

Have you considered starting a thread about Finnish traditions? If I understand correctly, it's a very different cultural/linguistic mix from the Norse/Germanic, outside of Taigan's list. I would love to learn more about the gods and traditions involved, especially since it's harder to find books about here.
                                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X