X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heathen Q&A

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=92.msg3167#msg3167 date=1287171709]
    Have you considered starting a thread about Finnish traditions? If I understand correctly, it's a very different cultural/linguistic mix from the Norse/Germanic, outside of Taigan's list. I would love to learn more about the gods and traditions involved, especially since it's harder to find books about here.
    [/quote]

Sorry, but I'm not very knowledged about it really. :/ I mean, I do know a lot about Finnish (pre-Christian) history and the traditions (studied ethnology etc.), something about Finnish shamanism, folklore, spells, gods etc. but my knowledge about the belief system in its entirety isn't that good. Most of the things I know are based on what my friends who practice the old religion have told.

Maybe Arrow could do it better as she actually follows the path.

Comment

Here's a clue to my list: http://www.wyrdwords.vispa.com/heath...usheathen.html

Alltho like they say it's a totally different system, they still share ideas simlar to their neigbours. I could find more links with informations and fragments like theses.

Comment

[quote author=TaiganPagan link=topic=92.msg3165#msg3165 date=1287171574]
        It's called Heathen because, they believe in multiple Gods, they revere their ancestors, they follow a rite of honor and oath.
        [/quote]

Okay, thanks for the response. I was a bit cautious, 'coz it has been claimed few times to me that Finnish heathenism is just a form of Scandinavian/Germanic heathenism, which, to my ears, sounds quite crazy... Though of course there are some similarities as the cultures are geographically close and there has been all sorts of intercultural communication, but not relatively many I've understood..

Comment

Ok, I don't know anyone else around me who is a pagan never mind believes what I do so I have had to follow what I've read and what I feel. If anyone asks I have said I'm an animist pagan who follows the northern tradition / gods. I'm curious would you say I was a heathen?

Respect to my ancestors is one of the most important things to me. I believe in the disir and land wights. I believe all the gods are separate entities. I try to follow the values and ethics.

One of the reasons I'm not sure I can describe myself as a heathen is my feelings about religions in general. I believe that all religions are man made but belief is something that is deeply personal. The hard part is deciding what your own spiritual beliefs are and then seeing if one of the religions is compatable with what you feel in your heart. I feel I was not so much drawn to the Northern gods as pulled in their direction.

When I say all religions are man made I don't mean they don't mean anything. When something has been invented then it exists. Cars were invented they now exist, the only difference between them and religion is one is a material construct the other is a construct of the mind and heart. I don't think I will meet Frigg out shopping in the supermarket but she is as real in my heart, head and life as I believe she was to my ancestors.

Comment

Your description of yourself leads me to believe you fall somewhere under the heathen umbrella, Mercian. On the other hand, I'm of the mindset, "If you have to ask...".
            "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

[quote author=Thjoth link=topic=92.msg2999#msg2999 date=1287139791]

Maybe one of these days I'll start a general "principles of basic historical research" thread to help people with technique...
              [/quote]Ooh yes please Thjoth! ;D

[quote author=Crimson Horizons link=topic=92.msg3290#msg3290 date=1287194351]
              On the other hand, I'm of the mindset, "If you have to ask...".
              [/quote] Mercian seems to have a pretty firm grasp on what he believes, just is unsure whether that really qualifies him as 'Heathen' which may come from not really understanding the term, rather than not really understanding himself and his beliefs.
              You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

I posted this before, on the old forum... but it is such a great introduction to the "nine noble virtues" and it is so catchy, I must post it again:

"Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Excellent song!

Comment

Just coming up with more questions...

What is Wyrd?

You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

[quote author=Maythe link=topic=92.msg3774#msg3774 date=1287302152]
                      What is Wyrd?
                      [/quote]

Too tough for me to tackle this late at night . I'll post my thoughts when I'm a bit more coherent.
                      "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

[quote author=Maythe link=topic=92.msg3774#msg3774 date=1287302152]
                        Just coming up with more questions...

What is Wyrd?
                        [/quote]

Oh mai. It's hard enough to get your head around, never mind explain!

But I'll try...

'Wyrd' is an Anglo-Saxon term that often gets translated as 'fate', however it's a bit more than that. It's often likened to a web that connects all things in all worlds, and every action trembles that web, sending out vibrations that affect all things. Wyrd does not make things happen. Wyrd is the happening. The web is constantly changing, yet unchanging as it is recreated contantly. Your past influences your future choices, and your choices affect the choices of others. There is also your own personal wyrd, and that relates to universal wyrd.

This webpage should help http://www.wyrdwords.vispa.com/heathenry/whatwyrd.html

I also recommend that you read 'The Way of Wyrd' by Brian Bates, it explains the concept of wyrd in a lot of detail.

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=92.msg3851#msg3851 date=1287327315]
                        Do you guys use runes? Do you think the blank rune exists or not? (personally I don't believe in it, but well, I use runes almost never)
                        [/quote]

I use a set of Elder Futhark runes and rune cards, and have found them to be very precise in divination. I use the blank rune, I think it's interesting, though I know it's a new(ish) concept. I also find runes good for meditation.
                        "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

when becoming heathen do you have or do an initiation ceramony. And if so wot do you do?

Comment

[quote author=TheHoodedOne link=topic=92.msg6417#msg6417 date=1287956253]
                            when becoming heathen do you have or do an initiation ceramony. And if so wot do you do?
                            [/quote]

None that I am aware of.
                            "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

(initiation ceremony)

None that I know of, for older people.

The only form of initiation, I had, was the Ascension, when a child reach an age of realizing that he's Heathen. I had from my grandmother (mother side) a necklace with an owl.

Comment

[quote author=TheHoodedOne link=topic=92.msg6417#msg6417 date=1287956253]
                                [/quote]

Not as such, no. There may be a blot or sumble as celebration, but not necessarily an initiation. The closest thing that I can think of is being accepted into a Kindred (or other Kin groups, such as a Theod). Even then, it's not so much an initiation as an acceptance of a new member.

Comment

Working...
                                X