Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Enter the Linguistic Pagan! 参上!言語学の異教徒!

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Pagan - and heading North for a while...
    Phrase
    I am grounded, I am humble, I am one with everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post

Actually, you just type as though it is romaji! So for example, if I want to write 'cat', I type 'neko' and ねこ appears. Then there's a bar pops up with suggested kanji usually the correct one, in this case 猫, or else you scroll to the right one. Press 'enter' and the kanji appears. It's no different to tapping the space bar after each English word in effect. Not needing spaces in Japanese kinda makes up for it.

I'm a terribly clumsy typer though, and one of my contacts pulls me up on the tiniest of typos. I did kinda ask her to though, so I've only myself to blame. ^^'

- - - Updated - - -

Haha no sh*t.. just noticed how often I mixed up bit and but in this thread. I really need to read over what I write, in BOTH languages!!
    That's good to know. I assume its the same on computer keyboards in japan itself? Very cool.

My spelling is terrible too. I have spell check on my phone though. Kinda love those red lines haha
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Re: Enter the Linguistic Pagan! 参上!言語学の異教徒!

Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    That's good to know. I assume its the same on computer keyboards in japan itself? Very cool.

My spelling is terrible too. I have spell check on my phone though. Kinda love those red lines haha
    There are 2 ways you can type on Japanese keyboards. Apparently the romaji method is most common, although there are a lot of shortcuts that lead to the average Japanese person romanizing weirdly. Like if I wanted to type 'shitsu' (common sound in compound words, or means 'room' or 'quality' on its own), then I just have to type 'situ', and the correct kana appear (しつ), because neither 'si' nor 'tu' are sounds that exist in modern Japanese. Nightmare reading romaji written by Japanese people if you don't know this!!

The other way is using the original Japanese keyboard in which each key represents a single hiragana. This method requires half the key strokes of the other meaning it's faster if you can master it. It's like learning touch typing in the west. Cool to know, but not commonly bothered with by anyone besides those who type for a living. It IS on the national curriculum though, just not taught until junior high.

And no.. I don't know why I'm telling you this either. I'm just all 'yey, a chance to talk about the only subject I know anything about!'
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Phrase

There are 2 ways you can type on Japanese keyboards. Apparently the romaji method is most common, although there are a lot of shortcuts that lead to the average Japanese person romanizing weirdly. Like if I wanted to type 'shitsu' (common sound in compound words, or means 'room' or 'quality' on its own), then I just have to type 'situ', and the correct kana appear (しつ), because neither 'si' nor 'tu' are sounds that exist in modern Japanese. Nightmare reading romaji written by Japanese people if you don't know this!!

The other way is using the original Japanese keyboard in which each key represents a single hiragana. This method requires half the key strokes of the other meaning it's faster if you can master it. It's like learning touch typing in the west. Cool to know, but not commonly bothered with by anyone besides those who type for a living. It IS on the national curriculum though, just not taught until junior high.

And no.. I don't know why I'm telling you this either. I'm just all 'yey, a chance to talk about the only subject I know anything about!'
    Haha all good. Interesting to know and i did ask.

Ive had to draft a "im sorry i have too many conversations going on at once" reply in bahasa to send to people who are starting conversations with me... i counted... i have 49 after 3 days.

RIP

Oct 2010
    Religion

Haha all good. Interesting to know and i did ask.

Ive had to draft a "im sorry i have too many conversations going on at once" reply in bahasa to send to people who are starting conversations with me... i counted... i have 49 after 3 days.
    Woah, that's crazy. Is there a suspiciously high number of males amongst them by any chance? ^^'

I've had... (counts).. just 12 people start conversations with me since joining a week ago. I've heard western men get inundated by Japanese women though. I'm mostly getting married females who genuinely want to be friends for language exchange and nothing else.

Maybe it's just the novelty of having a native English speaker who knows Indonesian?
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Phrase

Woah, that's crazy. Is there a suspiciously high number of males amongst them by any chance? ^^'

I've had... (counts).. just 12 people start conversations with me since joining a week ago. I've heard western men get inundated by Japanese women though. I'm mostly getting married females who genuinely want to be friends for language exchange and nothing else.

Maybe it's just the novelty of having a native English speaker who knows Indonesian?
    Not heavily no, well i didnt notice. And i do have that disclaimer in both languages in my bio lol

Ive had males and females looking for friendship. Im not looking for friendship lol, i went in expecting a business transaction haha.

And yeah definite novelty i think. Theyre all really surprised that i learnt bahasa at school

RIP

Oct 2010
    Religion

Aww, I've just had a message pop up on HelloTalk celebrating the fact that I've been friends with the person I'm talking to for 35 days. That's such a cute incentive to stay in touch with the people you meet. You get messages when you've sent eachother a certain amount of messages too.

I love this app.

Mind you, I read a moment the other night from a teenaged girl saying that guys send her pervy messages. I'm kinda glad I'm in my 30s so don't get that. My friends are mainly female housewives with a few high schoolers just wanting help with their English homework!

Kinda makes me a bit angry that some people have to turn an innocent language exchange app into a tool to harass young women.

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Phrase
    Aww, I've just had a message pop up on HelloTalk celebrating the fact that I've been friends with the person I'm talking to for 35 days. That's such a cute incentive to stay in touch with the people you meet. You get messages when you've sent eachother a certain amount of messages too.

I love this app.

Mind you, I read a moment the other night from a teenaged girl saying that guys send her pervy messages. I'm kinda glad I'm in my 30s so don't get that. My friends are mainly female housewives with a few high schoolers just wanting help with their English homework!

Kinda makes me a bit angry that some people have to turn an innocent language exchange app into a tool to harass young women.
    Yeah i still get some weird shit, that isnt technically ok or normal is western culture but i can work around it. Sick of people asking to add me on whatsapp though.

RIP

Oct 2010
    Religion

Yeah i still get some weird shit, that isnt technically ok or normal is western culture but i can work around it. Sick of people asking to add me on whatsapp though.
    It tends to be 'Line' with the Japanese, although I don't mind Line though so it's not a big problem. I'm just not on Line all that much.

Maybe you can help me something actually. How do you reply to someone personally on your 'moments'? It might be an issue with the android version, or might just be me being dumb, but it won't let me reply with the person's name.

When I click on their message, '@(person's name)' appears but in faint lettering. Then as soon as I write anything, their name vanishes. If I then input their name after '@', and send a message, it doesn't appear highlighted like in everyone else's messages, it's just black for me, and the message appears at the bottom of the thread, not under the message I'm replying to.

Do you have this issue? I've tried pressing 'enter' or arrow keys and nothing turns the faint writing into a highlighted name, and it just vanishes the second I type anything.

I wrote about Ostara the other day and how its symbolism exists today in Easter. The feedback was awesome, and one guy even wanted to go away and do his own research into Western neopaganism. It seems the Japanese find paganism quite relatable. I couldn't reply to everyone's question individually though, which was kinda frustrating.

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Phrase

It tends to be 'Line' with the Japanese, although I don't mind Line though so it's not a big problem. I'm just not on Line all that much.

Maybe you can help me something actually. How do you reply to someone personally on your 'moments'? It might be an issue with the android version, or might just be me being dumb, but it won't let me reply with the person's name.

When I click on their message, '@(person's name)' appears but in faint lettering. Then as soon as I write anything, their name vanishes. If I then input their name after '@', and send a message, it doesn't appear highlighted like in everyone else's messages, it's just black for me, and the message appears at the bottom of the thread, not under the message I'm replying to.

Do you have this issue? I've tried pressing 'enter' or arrow keys and nothing turns the faint writing into a highlighted name, and it just vanishes the second I type anything.

I wrote about Ostara the other day and how its symbolism exists today in Easter. The feedback was awesome, and one guy even wanted to go away and do his own research into Western neopaganism. It seems the Japanese find paganism quite relatable. I couldn't reply to everyone's question individually though, which was kinda frustrating.
    Yeah also Line, which i dont have.

I cant help sorry, never used Moments. Is it like a feed is it? Like fb or something?

RIP

Oct 2010
    Religion

Yeah also Line, which i dont have.

I cant help sorry, never used Moments. Is it like a feed is it? Like fb or something?
    Do you use lang8? Moments are the HelloTalk equivalent of writing an entry on lang8. You can write a sentence or a full article, there's no limit. Then people will correct your grammar, or comment just like lang8. On the screen where all your conversations are (when you first open the app), there is a little tab menu at the bottom. Your conversations are called 'talks'. To the right there is an icon called 'moments'. If you click on that, you can see things Indonesian members have written in English (although some will post in their native language and treat it like Facebook or Twitter). You can then correct their English or comment in either language. If you want to write a moment you can click on the feather in the top right corner.

You get way more corrections on moments than you do during chats. At least in my experience, people don't want to stop the flow of conversation to point out my mistakes, so just let them slide. It's definitely worth using the feature if grammatical accuracy matters to you.