Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 141

Thread: Enter the Linguistic Pagan! 参上!言語学の異教徒!

  1. #91
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,418
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: Enter the Linguistic Pagan! 参上!言語学の異教徒!

    Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    Omg i am inundated lol. So many Indonesians looking for english speakers. I have about 16 conversations going, constantly pings. Theres like 2 men that have attempted to hit on me though...
    Really? Haha!! I haven't had that yet. Then again, I've heard Japanese men find western women intimidating so maybe I'm safe!

    It's a but of a shame, but you need to be a bit selective about who you reply to. There's just not enough hours in the day!

    Maybe you know this bit it took me a while to work it out... if you click on 'profile' then scroll down, you can click on 'settings' and turn off alerts. I switch it on if I'm actively chatting to someone but switch it off at other times so I don't go insane! Alternatively, you can set a period of the day in which the alerts are silent (defaults at 11pm-7am).

    It's a great little app though.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

  2. #92
    Loud Mouth Heka's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,819
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Pagan - and heading North for a while...
    Location
    South Australia
    Phrase
    I am grounded, I am humble, I am one with everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post

    Really? Haha!! I haven't had that yet. Then again, I've heard Japanese men find western women intimidating so maybe I'm safe!

    It's a but of a shame, but you need to be a bit selective about who you reply to. There's just not enough hours in the day!

    Maybe you know this bit it took me a while to work it out... if you click on 'profile' then scroll down, you can click on 'settings' and turn off alerts. I switch it on if I'm actively chatting to someone but switch it off at other times so I don't go insane! Alternatively, you can set a period of the day in which the alerts are silent (defaults at 11pm-7am).

    It's a great little app though.
    Handy to know about the alerts. Im on leave atm so i have plenty of time to chat to the randoms. Ive already learned one new relevant phrase and am remembering old language. Its really good having the same initial conversation again and again haha.

    Indonesian men can be known to treat women pretty badly unfortunately.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

    RIP

  3. #93
    Loud Mouth Heka's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,819
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Pagan - and heading North for a while...
    Location
    South Australia
    Phrase
    I am grounded, I am humble, I am one with everything.
    ForumRunner_20170216_165249.jpg

    This guy goes on to ask if I've bathed yet.


    ForumRunner_20170216_165258.jpg

    This one assumes I'm watching a romantic comedy cos i want to get married.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

    RIP

  4. #94
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,418
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: Enter the Linguistic Pagan! 参上!言語学の異教徒!

    Yeah, it's such a fun way to just dip into the language in a spare moment! The small-talk runs out after a while though! I've been discussing the differences in the social care system in Japan and the UK! Apparently all you need to qualify for a qualification in social care in Japan is 5 years of service in the field!!! Here we have to do an NVQ which consists of various modules and requires writing assignments to prove your knowledge. The 5 year certificate you get in Japan allows you to be a manager too. You need NVQ level 4 here and it costs a few grand unless your employer pays!

    Not that you can read it but sharing screen shots looks fun...
    Attached Images
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

  5. #95
    Loud Mouth Heka's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,819
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Pagan - and heading North for a while...
    Location
    South Australia
    Phrase
    I am grounded, I am humble, I am one with everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post
    Yeah, it's such a fun way to just dip into the language in a spare moment! The small-talk runs out after a while though! I've been discussing the differences in the social care system in Japan and the UK! Apparently all you need to qualify for a qualification in social care in Japan is 5 years of service in the field!!! Here we have to do an NVQ which consists of various modules and requires writing assignments to prove your knowledge. The 5 year certificate you get in Japan allows you to be a manager too. You need NVQ level 4 here and it costs a few grand unless your employer pays!

    Not that you can read it but sharing screen shots looks fun...
    Lol typing in kanji must be so much harder than indonesian haha
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

    RIP

  6. #96
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,418
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: Enter the Linguistic Pagan! 参上!言語学の異教徒!

    Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    Lol typing in kanji must be so much harder than indonesian haha
    Actually, you just type as though it is romaji! So for example, if I want to write 'cat', I type 'neko' and ねこ appears. Then there's a bar pops up with suggested kanji usually the correct one, in this case 猫, or else you scroll to the right one. Press 'enter' and the kanji appears. It's no different to tapping the space bar after each English word in effect. Not needing spaces in Japanese kinda makes up for it.

    I'm a terribly clumsy typer though, and one of my contacts pulls me up on the tiniest of typos. I did kinda ask her to though, so I've only myself to blame. ^^'

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post
    I'm a terribly clumsy typer though,
    Haha no sh*t.. just noticed how often I mixed up bit and but in this thread. I really need to read over what I write, in BOTH languages!!
    Last edited by Jembru; 16 Feb 2017 at 00:36.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

  7. #97
    Sr. Member Chessa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    295
    Gender
    female
    Location
    Kansas
    Phrase
    Roses are red, violets are blue. The next one is false, the last one was true!

    Re: Enter the Linguistic Pagan! 参上!言語学の異教徒!

    Has anyone else tried InterPals? It's a social site buitl around the idea of language exchange. I find way more people interested in learning english than people who can teach me the language I'm learning, but if you're learning a more common language I guess, there will be plenty of native speakers

  8. #98
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,418
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: Enter the Linguistic Pagan! 参上!言語学の異教徒!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chessa View Post
    Has anyone else tried InterPals? It's a social site buitl around the idea of language exchange. I find way more people interested in learning english than people who can teach me the language I'm learning, but if you're learning a more common language I guess, there will be plenty of native speakers
    I hadn't heard of it. Just looked now for reviews and I wonder if there's more than one thing with the same name? The site I've found is a penpal site but apparently people abuse it and use it as a dating site so you get hit on by people a lot. The reviews I read didn't mention language exchange but I guess penpals can be of any race.

    You mentioned teaching though, so is there a different site or maybe a teaching sub-division?

    If you want a language exchange site with lessons you can work through with a native speaker, Italki is pretty good. You can find paid teachers if you have the cash, or can just use the pre-made lessons with a regular member. The lessons weren't great for Japanese, although I think it's just because there wasn't much for advanced level, but might be better for your own target language.

    I'm personally a bit dubious when people say they're looking for someone to 'teach' them a language. In my experience this translates to 'I can't be bothered to put the effort in myself but want you to magically insert fluency into my brain'. I know I sound cynical, but I've run into too many of these people. A book can 'tell you the language', but you have to put in the effort yourself. A human being can't magically make information stick any more than a book or video can (and they can't organise the information in the same logical order that a book or online course will).

    That said, a lot of these people just don't know how to study. So when books aren't working (or watching movies/anime without subs isn't working as is often their method of choice), they think a native speaker might hold the magic key. In that case I'm always willing to discuss techniques with them so that they can do the groundwork for themselves.

    Once you've put in the effort to learn the basics, sites like lang8 or apps like HelloTalk are fantastic for taking your skills beyond the books and to a more native-like level. If InterPals isn't quite doing it for you, then I urge you to give these a go. Just write a short introduction in your target language (or a long introduction if you're like me and couldn't be concise to save your life), and you'll start getting corrections and tips to sound more natural, within minutes!!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

  9. #99
    Sr. Member Chessa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    295
    Gender
    female
    Location
    Kansas
    Phrase
    Roses are red, violets are blue. The next one is false, the last one was true!

    Re: Enter the Linguistic Pagan! 参上!言語学の異教徒!

    Yeah, I think you found the site I was talking about. For every person who genuinely wants to practice English, and a few who are willing to converse in Irish, there's a guy whose first message is "are you married". But I've learned more Irish from painstakingly translated conversations with friends I've made there than I have from any book or app.

    I looked through italki, and it looks pretty solid. There were no community tutors for Irish, though.

    There's also duolinguo which is good for covering the basics, but some native speakers started coming forward and saying the pronunciation was completely off.

  10. #100
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,418
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: Enter the Linguistic Pagan! 参上!言語学の異教徒!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chessa View Post
    Yeah, I think you found the site I was talking about. For every person who genuinely wants to practice English, and a few who are willing to converse in Irish, there's a guy whose first message is "are you married". But I've learned more Irish from painstakingly translated conversations with friends I've made there than I have from any book or app.

    I looked through italki, and it looks pretty solid. There were no community tutors for Irish, though.

    There's also duolinguo which is good for covering the basics, but some native speakers started coming forward and saying the pronunciation was completely off.
    You know, I have recently discovered the value of learning via translating too! Before my 6 month break from Japanese last year, I had studied monolingually for over a year. I thought English would break the immersion somehow, so even my anki cards used images or synonyms to avoid English.

    When I started studying again though, my motivation was that I want to do translation. I decided then that I'd be better off studying Japanese via translating, so I'm developing the exact skill I hope to use later. For now I'm translating things for which a translation already exists. That way I can compare mine with the other translation to identify the areas I'm misunderstanding (although sometimes the other person is the one getting it wrong -I've discovered there are a lot of poor translators out there).

    What I've discovered is that when I'm reading without worrying about translating, so long as I'm following the general thread, I often fail to notice words or grammar that I'm not familiar with. Translating into English makes me much more aware, and I'm learning so much!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28 Jun 2015, 13:17
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22 Jul 2013, 00:20
  3. Pagan Poetry (post your Pagan poems here)
    By AL!CE in forum Hobbies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02 Nov 2012, 11:05
  4. Humanist Pagan VS Atheist Pagan
    By volcaniclastic in forum Pagan Traditions & Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17 Apr 2012, 12:39
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01 Mar 2012, 02:27

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •