Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Altar from Pergamon in its entirety.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Altar from Pergamon in its entirety.

While not specifically pagan related as far as practice or such I though other's might find it an interesting site as it is one of the few I've discovered that has pictures of the entire altar from Pergamon. While my favorite aspects are from frieze B (Hecate / Artemis) the entire thing is fantastic even with all the missing items.

From a Hellenic perspective it's almost a must have in representation.

Last edited by monsno_leedra; 06 Aug 2013, 12:26.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Re: The Altar from Pergamon in its entirety.

Since it's located in my city, I've seen it a bunch of times. Having been to Greece though, it just doesn't have the same touch. It is very complete though, which is pretty rare. Usually you have bits and pieces of sites scattered around Europe (specifically between the British Museum and Greece itself).

Comment

I'd love to go see that! Its a bit odd that its in Germany, but it would be an awesome thing to see.
      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

A lot of Greek and Roman stuff is in Germany, France, and the UK. Archaeology in the 19th and early 20th centuries pretty much went like this: dig stuff up, and take it home. Many people in Greece, Italy, and Turkey -do- call it stealing, and the countries themselves want it back. Greece is PISSED about the Elgin marbles. They're on display in the British Museum, and meanwhile, Greece has built an entire museum next to the Parthenon in Athens that is half dedicated to them, and the message is pretty much "If we had the Elgin Marbles, this is where they'd be." There are informational pamphlets about the movement to get them back from the British available to take at the door :P

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          Since it's located in my city, I've seen it a bunch of times. Having been to Greece though, it just doesn't have the same touch. It is very complete though, which is pretty rare. Usually you have bits and pieces of sites scattered around Europe (specifically between the British Museum and Greece itself).
          It's ironic I suppose that the things that are the closest to us we take for granted so often. I'd love just to have a chance to visit there and see it. There are places near me that i'd love to see but always put it off until tomorrow type thing. I have to admit though that the things I saw in Greece (Korfu and Rhodes specifically) felt a lot different than items I saw elsewhere that were supposed to be from those places.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
          I'd love to go see that! Its a bit odd that its in Germany, but it would be an awesome thing to see.
          DanieMarie touched upon it already but I know a lot of archaic history and materials were removed from much of the Med region or sold off into private collections during the early phase of archaeology. Then not only by archaeologist but anyone who happened to find them and sell off the statue or other items, think of Pompeii for instance. Not just Greece either but all of what one might call the biblical lands of the Middle East and Southern Europe.

I collect archaic coins from Greece and its colonies and surrounding areas to include Roman periods and every so often there are petitions to restrict the sell of such items.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
          X