This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you feel about getting old?

Since I have already gotten old(age 66) I wondered what you think when considering your age.

Old age is no picnic to be sure,it can be frighting for some to think about what their old age will be like.

I am asking for your thoughts and perhaps questions about aging.

I know this can be a touchy subject for some,but lets see what comes from this discussion.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: How do you feel about getting old?

Good question!

I'm still relatively young....I'm in my last year of my 20s. The older I get, the more I'm ok with aging. When I was 20, I thought that being 30 was horrible. Now that it's a year away, it doesn't really feel any different than being 29. Stuff like wrinkles used to scare me, but the older I get, the more I accept the fact that one day, they'll be there. I guess the whole process is so gradual that you still feel like "you," if that makes sense.

I'm a bit afraid of health stuff...breast cancer runs in my family in a big way and my dad isn't very mobile in his old age. I'm hoping I can somehow avoid both problems. I'm not sure how I'll avoid breast cancer other than pulling an Angelina Jolie, but that could be something I'll do at one point.

Comment

For some reason I have the opposite problem that a lot of people do from when I talk to them. I dont worry about whats gunna happen as I get older. I know its gunna happen, I'm used to the idea as I've watched the aging process for so many friends/family all in different stages of life. I've got the problem of looking back and going "what were we all thinking" to some of the really stupid stuff we've done, or that people younger than myself are doing now and think that cause we're older that I don't know what we're talking about.

I don't worry about things like wrinkles, but I do worry about my weight, which I've been working on toning down when I get the chance, but its hard sometimes because of my back issues. My husband and I laugh and joke about how we're both "getting old way too early" because I've got scoliosis, and the army's just aged the crap out of him and didn't take care of him-so getting old isnt scary so much as annoying lol
      Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
      Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
      sigpic

Comment

I'm dreading it, and I have a very bleak outlook on the subject. Luckily for me, my family does not have a history of longevity, so it shouldn't last too much longer.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

It seems that with every passing year my health goes further and further south. (I'm in my mid-twenties, for goddess sake!) If it weren't for the health problems, I honestly wouldn't care about getting old. It happens whether you like it or not, after all.
          Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

I never actually thought I would reach the age I am now. I have led something of a risky life from time to time.
            I am at times surprised that I have lasted this long. That being said,being old is something I suppose you get used to(Not really a choice) everyday sometimes I think "Is this my last day" but time goes on and after a while you just wait for changes,and mostly hope for a peaceful end.

At times I think what if I live to be 80-90,what is that going to be like? My biggest fear is coming to a point where I must allow someone else to control my day to day life because of advanced age. I have always been a very independent person and it feels strange to think I might lose that independence.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I don't get the drama with getting older. Every stage of life has something to offer somebody, that includes the negatives and the positives. Also, once your at peace with where your going once you die, aging and risk and bad health seem a lot more easy to deal with.
              White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
              sigpic
              In Days of yore,
              From Britain's shore
              Wolfe the dauntless hero came
              And planted firm Britannia's flag
              On Canada's fair domain.
              Here may it wave,
              Our boast, our pride
              And joined in love together,
              The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
              The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

One does start to not be bothered by the idea of death. I will not say everyone gets to this point. Many people I know my age are fighting it tooth and nail by trying to seem younger. Even if you do not look your age,you can't keep up with the younger people. I am at peace with the idea,but still I wonder what comes after,if anything comes after.

The only way to know is to die,and no one has come back to describe it.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I intend growing old disgracefully.

And I am a great believer in the line 'Come grow old with me, the best is yet to be.'
                  The Golden Age is here, now, maybe even just around the corner, but definitely not in some dim and distant past. At lest AFAIC
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Up until a few months ago the topic of aging was on my mind an awful lot. I was afraid of my looks (I'm not a model, but once my curves start going...), I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get to a place financially by then where I would be able to live out my days in my own home (owned house in the country, ideally). But mostly, I was afraid that I would turn into one of those ladies I encounter on a daily basis whose existence seems to be infused with bitterness, cynicism, exhaustion, and a general aggressive or hostile attitude toward the world and people around them. That's what I'm the most afraid of, even now a bit because I know the hectic life I have right now is stretching me thinner than I should ever have to be just in order to survive. It's worse because I have no idea how long this phase in my life will last (maybe it will last forever, I'm dreading that one), or if I burn out worse than I already am by then, have another nervous breakdown and become unable to work for a period of time.

Long story short, I worry about my mental health more than my physical health. And I worry more about the kind of person I'll 'become' as I age, because I never want to become someone I'm not.

And then I turned 26, and since then I've either mellowed out or (more likely) burned out to a point where I can't even force myself to hold myself up to that kind of energy and anxiety exertion anymore. Which makes me, in turn, wonder if I'm cut out to be a person who will ever be able to take care of themselves financially in this era. But that's a separate issue altogether than aging.

What I'm really beginning to notice is that the people who are very stressed out do not live more hectic lives than the people who are less stressed out. But their perception of life and their gratitude for what they have already is different. So now I'm just trying to rebuild myself and my esteem while keeping my work stresses from getting to me so much. Hopefully that's the way out of this mentality (and potentially into a better career field).

The only other thing that really bothers me about age is the starting a family concept. I really really want kids but we're infertile (probably sterile- lab tests pending). So I just keep wondering, what if I don't ever get to that phase of my life that I want? Then what do I do with myself? I'm not particularly a career-oriented person (as in, I don't want a job to run the entirety of my waking life). I suppose that answer will come in time, one way or another. But hey, those are my thoughts on aging. It's not so much about the aging process itself, just the societal, mental, family, and financial aspects of it all.

As far as medical goes... all but 2 of my blood relatives died from cancer. The other two died from a combination of alzheimers and refusing to take her medications for some heart disorder, and the other died from emphysema. So mostly, I'm expecting cancer to hit somewhere around my mid 60's. Some of the women are lucky and get it later in their 80's, but by then the alzheimers kicks in. *shrugs*

Will be ghosting this thread. ^^

- - - Updated - - -

I should add something else, since it seems to be a common interest. I'm not afraid of dying in the slightest. I've brushed it a few times in my life (ages 3, 13, 17, and 21), death itself isn't something I sweat over.

What I am afraid of is dying before I am able to set up my family with the means to take care of themselves and live out their own lives in a healthy way. For now my family is my husband, but maybe in the future there will be kidlets. I need to know that my loved ones will be ok when I pass, but beyond that I'm fine.
                    Last edited by Willow; 07 Aug 2013, 09:32.

Comment

The thing is when I was younger I just thought life would always be just another day,then the true roller coaster of life started and I have been riding this thing until now. Life does that,and there is little other than saving money or setting up backups that can slow the coaster. One thing that this coaster thing taught me is to be resilient,and roll with the changes...That is more likely why I am still around.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

26 Years Old

I always thought that 26 was adult. "That's an age where I'll be getting my life together," I thought in my younger years. 26 was after college and in the beginning of a real career, if everything went according to plan.

Well I'm 26. And I didn't finish college and I don't have a career. I'm old enough now to shrug it off (most days), though.

I think the only real thing we can say about age is that "with age comes experience," and that is the true test of mettle.
                        No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I'll be 45 in a few weeks.

It's not so bad, if you can get over the whole "I'm not 22 anymore" thing.

Comment

Fear of ageing is something that has been hammered into our brains by modern society and way of life.

It used to be that age was a sign of experience, health, wisdom and trustworthiness.

Now our brains tell us old people are weak, dying, mentally incompetent, restricted, disabled, lesser.

To me it is ridiculous.
                            White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                            sigpic
                            In Days of yore,
                            From Britain's shore
                            Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                            And planted firm Britannia's flag
                            On Canada's fair domain.
                            Here may it wave,
                            Our boast, our pride
                            And joined in love together,
                            The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                            The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I was never afraid of getting older. In fact, I looked forward to being an adult, to having my opinions respected, to having a voice. Most times, I don't feel I ever attained that. I went from "you're so cute" to "you're old". LOL But that's OK.

I do feel like I'm in the far turn, and I have lots of great memories behind me. There's more time done than there is to come (I'm 56) and there were some bad things that happened, but I tend to dwell on the good things. I guess I'm afraid that there won't be another really good thing. I've gotten most of my bucket list done already, and need to hitch my wagon to a new star to keep on feeling like I want to create new memories.

I was never one of those women obsessed with looks. I wouldn't get any facelifts, etc. Tomorrow I am going to get my hair dyed to cover the grey, though! I had not intended to do that, because I hoped it'd grow in streaky or turn all white, but I just don't like it right now.

The arthritis was a shock, and one I'm still reacting very badly to. I'm fighting depression over it. I will win, no worries.

The only thing I really worry about is my pet, if I should predecease him. Other than that, it's all pretty good!
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                              X