This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you feel about getting old?

I recently turned 22. And I cannot wait to be thirty. At that point I think I'll be pretty happy to stop rushing through life, but 40 doesn't bother me either, or 50, or 60 (I plan to make 90). I dream of having my children, or being steady in my routine, of having experiences, of STUFF that one cannot do at 22. So 30, COME AT ME.

Age does not bother me!
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

My only concern with aging is avoiding diabetes and breast cancer, which both run in my family, and arthritis, which would just about ruin any career I could have as an ASL interpreter. But... getting older doesn't really seem too scary to me. I'm more than likely going to flip out at my first grey hair, and I never want to have the weight problems my Gram and Opa have, but overall I view it as just another stage of life.

Going by Gram's example, a fun one too - eighty year olds can get away with 'being stuck in their ways.' Twenty year olds are expected to suck it up and deal.

Comment

I can't really grasp this "getting older" thing. That is, it being such a momentous occurrence. Aging, to me, is a social phobia. It's like the advertising media trying to dictate what you're supposed to look like - retain that youthful... mumbo jumbo. I didn't give a rat's ass about it when I had it! I'm sure not going to try and chase down an echo of my past, just to satisfy some bit of vanity that "normal people" have. F that!

I'm a day older than yesterday. A year older than last year. I'm 47 years, 6 months and 9 days older than I was the day I was born. What *does* old mean? I was getting old when I was 5, for pete's sake - I certainly wasn't new, anymore.

No. Getting older doesn't bother me in the least. My hair is going away... and what isn't leaving is turning grey. I don't do hair dyes, I don't color my beard, and I don't try to hide my wrinkles. It's who, and what, I am.

What concerns me is the 'rocking chair years' have already begun. The time of my life, that I dreaded experiencing alone, is 20 years ahead of schedule, due to the nightmare that took place, in 1986, leaving permanent damage that would only deteriorate. They said it to me then, I just refused to admit defeat. There's an extra 20 years under my belt. Well, literally. So, the concern is, if I'm THIS limited and disabled NOW, wtf will I be able to do for myself in another 20 or 40 years? Nothing?

That's not aging, though, that's disability - increasing. Not because of MY age but because of how long ago the legs were messed up. I'm not looking forward to wheelchairs and 24-hour attendants, again. And THAT is a completely unrelated rant/tirade/complaint.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

People see getting older the same way they see an old haircut, or a teenager sees a stuffed bear from their toddler years... admittedly with a high dosage of fear on top of that. Aging, to most people, is this awful ugly thing to be embarrassed about, or a stupid thing that, unfortunately, can't be denied. When they see ads all over the place and see other people striving for the youthful ideal that's so popular, the idea of aging becomes even more anathema to them. Then when those first 'signs' show up - grey hairs, wrinkles that don't smooth out when you stop smiling, stubborn belly fat, even having kids in some cases - they freak out, and really start to be afraid, because, after all, aging is 'Bad.'

It's not sensible by any means, but when people envision getting old, they tend to think of being fat and ugly and stuck in a wheelchair - or some other ridiculous charicature. So, they freak out.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika View Post
            It's not sensible by any means, but when people envision getting old, they tend to think of being fat and ugly and stuck in a wheelchair - or some other ridiculous caricature. So, they freak out.
            Other than the ugly and fat part (I've been fat and ugly my entire freaking life, thanks a lot for reminding me), the disability is what I see on a daily basis - and I don't even work in healthcare. It's not a caricature or stereotype. It's reality. Yes, there are hale and healthy and hearty centenarians out there, but there are also people who have strokes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, brittle bones, brittle skin, various stages of senility or dementia, loss of mobility and continence and the occurrence of these issues only increase the older a person gets. What's the point of living into old age if your body failed? What is there then to show for your long life other than someone much younger than you having to change your diapers all over again? Or feed you mush? Or having a machine breathe for you, or make sure your heart keeps beating?
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Aging is natural and part of life. Personally, I embrace it.

Comment

Im probably gonna die young anyway
                People are meant to be loved,
                And things are meant to be used.
                The reason the world is chaos is because
                People are being used and things are being loved.

Comment

This silly old man loves being old LOL.This year there is going to be one heck of a party.Got two cases of Geritol to get it started.No really there is over three hundred people invited and we are planning to have one great time.Weiner roast,music,dancing,the works.Giving the keys to my trike to my wife and am going to get bombed.

You are only as old as you feel and I sure as heck ain't dead by a long shot.
                  silly old man

Comment

Originally posted by singhabhishek251
                    Growing older is a worry for everyone at first, but they accept it slowly and we all have to accept this as we cannot do anything for this. The only thing we can do is enjoy all these days to its fullest and something better.
                    No, it isn't a worry for everyone.

Did you even read the thread?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

For myself it isn't the getting old,its the pain that sometimes comes with aging. The not being able to do some things I liked doing before the Arthritis kicked in. My mind is still sharp,and that would be a real hard thing if that starts to go.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I agree with you anunitu.Due to a vehicle accident back in the 70s that left me partially disabled the pain because of arthritic conditions that has set in at times bothers me severley.That along with slipped disk problems has left me almost an invalid at times.The pain I have learned to live with and have used it as a learning experience.

It is not aging I fear as I have lived my life well.I center now on the happiness I can give others.
                        silly old man

Comment

I don't think anyone likes to get older, but no one can change time. Everyone has to get older and i think we should enjoy that period too.

Comment

The calendar might say that I am almost 59 but
                            to me you are only old if you think of yourself as old
                            and I refuse to get old

Comment

I'm older, not old. I don't think I'll ever be OLD but I'll just be older. My body is also falling apart, but that's a part of aging, not getting old. Old to me, is when you've given up the lust of life. I watched my father pass away this summer of brain cancer, he was 84 years old. And he never got old, he was spunky around the nurses right up till the cancer took his ability to be lucid, he died 2 days later, sleeping at home, in his bed surrounded by his loved ones.

I don't fear actual death, I fear the process of dying.

Comment

My friends are gone and my hair is grey.
                                I ache in places I used to play.
                                And I’m crazy for love but I’m not coming on.

pretty much sums it up...
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X