Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebs want pagan Handfasting.

http://www.mirror.co...t-pagan-2121660

So what do you think will this help peoples view of paganism or will it just create an influx of people having handfastings intead of weddings?

Re: Celebs want pagan Handfasting.

If her main drive is cost-effectiveness and not because she's Wiccan or Pagan, her and her fiance should just go get the certificate and get married by a Justice of the Peace.

/facepalm
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
      If her main drive is cost-effectiveness and not because she's Wiccan or Pagan, her and her fiance should just go get the certificate and get married by a Justice of the Peace.

/facepalm
      I would agree. It's like a non religious person doing the church wedding out of tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
        I would agree. It's like a non religious person doing the church wedding out of tradition.
        My husband tried to have us do that-but that didn't work in the slightest. I told him "fine, we'll have a traditional wedding instead of a hand fasting ceremony and signing papers like I want on the condition of I don't have to set foot inside a church".

I honestly don't know what to think on this. My first thought is feeling like its a gigantic slap to our collective faces. "Oh, I saw it on a tv show and I thought it'd be cute". Seriously? SERIOUSLY?? Its not some tv show, its part of our collective culture's way of life. Its the same feeling I get when people talk about "Oh I love belly dancing cause I saw Shikira do it" or whatever her name is. No. Stop ripping off our culture without actually learning anything about it. But on the other hand, I like to hold the opinion of "meh, let people do what they want as long as its not hurting anyone or themselves."

So honestly I can see the influx of handfastings cause its potentially now the "cool" thing to do, but I agree with earlier comments. If its cost effectiveness that she's looking for-there are hundreds of ways to make a wedding cost cheaper than by ripping off a pagan culture because someone did it on a show. Hell, my own wedding cost less than 2000 because I did 90% of the stuff by hand myself. Its not hard to do something simple and pretty and not have it cost half a million or more like everyone seems to want to have these days. Or as stated earlier, just go buy the certificate ($50 where we lived when we got married) and see how much it'd cost to have a Justice of the Peace marry you at the courthouse and then have a small celebration with friends and family at the house
        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
        sigpic

Comment

Yep that makes me want to think it will promote pagan concepts into an accepted light and not ridicule. Almost makes it seem like she's saying "It's not real but will do in a pinch!"
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I would find it significantly more insulting if....... No, actually, I dont think that this could of been any more insulting. She is basically saying, as I interpret, that "Oh, look at those pagans. There religon is just adorable. We are saving some money, so let's do their cost effective and adorable ceremony for now. Then we can go get a real ceremony done some other time". It is almost, I don't know, implying that paganism is just a cute little tiny religon that has no idea what is good for them and that we are just diluding ourselves. Now, isn't that the most adorably insulting thing in the entire history of the world.
            Overt optimism and overt cynicism are both equally horrendous to my senses. Having a perfectly balanced view of the world only slightly less so. By goddess have an opinion, but kindly avoid blaring it like a wide-eyed idealist or a suicidal Goth.

Comment

As an aside note but most Hand Fastings I've seen are more Wiccan in origin than Pagan so in that light it seems more mocking of Wicca than Paganism as a whole considering that Hand fasting is not a part of many practices.

- - - Updated - - -

Just an aside article that talks about handfasting that is pretty good

Comment

I'm helping with a handfasting (blessing the rings and the cord) on Saturday at the Artemis Gather (UK). Although it's a wiccan ceremony, I've been asked to give my own blessings as well as the standard ones. Should be great fun, really looking forward to it.
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  Almost makes it seem like she's saying "It's not real but will do in a pinch!"
                  I'm pretty sure what she is saying has more to do with the legal standing of the ceremony than the validity. Because according to UK law it isn't a real marriage ceremony.
                  Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Honestly this doesn't surprise me at all. Not the flakiness of having seen it on tv. Nor the irate responses. But frankly I think both are silly. People do realize that the sanctity of the ceremony is the reason many Christians cite as why gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, right? Do those of you who object really want to be in that camp?

If she wants a handfasting, so what? Even if it turns out to be a farse, that in no way impacts on the joy, beauty or validity if anyone else's.
                    "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                      I'm pretty sure what she is saying has more to do with the legal standing of the ceremony than the validity. Because according to UK law it isn't a real marriage ceremony.
                      As I recall it's not really legal in the states without a legal document to back it up. As such it's a ceremony of a different type with a very paganish view of it being a trial marriage that last for a year and a day then one can redo or drop it as it suits them. All the Wicca books from the 1990's and into early 2000's stressed that idea pretty deeply though as the article I cited refs it was also used as a minor sex permission as well.

I do recall that one can have a civil marriage in the UK and doesn't require a church setting. Of course that was from when I was stationed in Scotland back in the late 70's early 80's whne one went before the local justice. SO it still seems to suggest that it's just to tide them over until she gets rich again and can afford an exotic one or a real one from the way it reads to me.

Comment

I don't really see it as a big deal. If thats how she wants do tie the knot, that's her business. I don't even know who the heck she is anyhow...
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Thal she used to be in atomic kitten, they are/were a girl group in britain.

And speaking from what i know of her (i may have had a rather large crush on her a few years back), she probably is seeing it as a we'll do this little cute thing no untill we can aford a "real" wedding.

Comment

Originally posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
                            Honestly this doesn't surprise me at all. Not the flakiness of having seen it on tv. Nor the irate responses. But frankly I think both are silly. People do realize that the sanctity of the ceremony is the reason many Christians cite as why gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, right? Do those of you who object really want to be in that camp?

If she wants a handfasting, so what? Even if it turns out to be a farse, that in no way impacts on the joy, beauty or validity if anyone else's.
                            I'm not irate - I mean, whatever she wants to do, it's her ceremony of choice. I just think her choice is stupid. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
                            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

What's sad is I didn't see pagan or wicca even mentioned in the article. I seems she saw it on tv and thought it was nice. Are the couple on the soap pagan?

Comment

Working...
                              X