Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home Brewin'

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
    Non professionals can make fine alcohol.
    Also, consider the fact that a large number of the U.S. founding fathers were all amateur brewers, and some, such as George Washington, were quite skilled.

Here's to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Libation!

Comment

My grandfather used to make beer. The first Father's Day after he died, my father and I split the last bottle. Now they're both gone, and I'm glad I kept the empty bottle! I have friends here who make all sorts of wines, etc., I had persimmon champagne at their house last year. There's always a barrel of something or other fermenting in a corner.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar View Post
        We brew really, really old fashion beers, wines and meads. I also have a stillroom that is used for brewing other things as well. I come from a long line of Jonny Hollow makers. That's a northern word for moonshine. We still have a few old broken stills down near the springs. Now those that make it usually do it a bit closer to home because the Feds are more worried about terrorists than hollow runners. Which is about the only good thing to come out of 9/11.

With beer we make it with the grains we raise. It was something we were raised on, home beer, and is an acquired taste. If you are use to factory beer, this recipe is probably not for you but I thought I would put it out there.
        An interesting tradition!

Comment

I've been thinking on making honey mead spiced with apple or orange
          Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Originally posted by Larix View Post
            Home Brewing is like Home Winemaking.

I say: Better leave it to the professionals!
            Madness. Homebrew everything is awesome. And cheaper.
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Home Brewing is like Home Winemaking.

I say: Better leave it to the professionals!
              Don't people in the Black Forest make Hollunderwein (elderberry wine, for the non-German speakers)? It's really popular to do in places like Brandenburg, Mecklenburg, and Saxony.

Comment

JP bought a home brewing set from someone he works with. He's yet to have a go, but plans on trying his hand at something for New Years. There is just one problem. We live in a 2 bedroom ground floor flat so don't exactly have lots of space. It will probably have to be set up in the second bedroom (which we use as a study, so houses our books, my notebooks, his expansive manga collection and my PC). Is it advisable to brew beer in such an enclosed space? Will it stink the room out (or is it quite a nice smell we probably won't mind living with?), and what is the risk of the barrel exploding and ruining a priceless manga collection and my precious study notes? There's a cosy little space in the corner of the room between the book cases, so I'd be willing to put up some shelves above the barrel so JP can store his bottles and suchlike.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  Don't people in the Black Forest make Hollunderwein (elderberry wine, for the non-German speakers)? It's really popular to do in places like Brandenburg, Mecklenburg, and Saxony.
                  They do!

But when I speak of wine - I mostly mean wine made from grapes.

Comment

They do!

But when I speak of wine - I mostly mean wine made from grapes.
                    It's not really any different though. I mean, it tastes different, but it's just wine made of a different fruit

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                      Madness. Homebrew everything is awesome. And cheaper.
                      Yes.

And, highly customisable.

*drools over strawberry chamomile mead*
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

Yes.

And, highly customisable.

*drools over strawberry chamomile mead*
                        I really wanna learn how to make my own mead! Add it to the list of dreams...
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                          It's not really any different though. I mean, it tastes different, but it's just wine made of a different fruit
                          That's right!

But in our region - if we say "wine" without any extra word before - we always mean wine made from grapes.

If it is anything else - we mention the type of fruit.

Comment

That's right!

But in our region - if we say "wine" without any extra word before - we always mean wine made from grapes.

If it is anything else - we mention the type of fruit.
                            It's the same in pretty much every German region and every country I just mean that the process for making it is exactly the same and words aside, it's the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                            X