This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minecraft Thread of Mining and Crafting

It has come to my attention that several forum members have submitted to the opium-like effects of this wildly popular indie game. Consider this thread a support group of sorts as we help to worsen each other's addiction. As many of you may know Minecraft is a sandbox style game produced by Markus "Notch" Persson and published by Mojang and was released in November of 2011. The game appears initially simplistic with graphics reminiscent of the 8bit days and a concept revolving around the creation and destruction of blocks. However simple the game may appear it unbelievably addicted as millions will inform you. Available for Pc and Xbox, with a limited version for Android systems, Minecraft has become a run away sensation across the globe. Now a little about the game ...

The game itself is simple. As the name implied the player uses tools like pickaxes and shovels, or even bare hands to "mine" various substances which are represented by blocks, after which the substances may be combined to form new material or placed to create structures. That's actually about it. There is no real goal to the game being that it is an open world sandbox. Most players are content to build different kinds of shelters, cities or structures both to survive the hostile encounters with nocturnal enemies and as monuments. Others seek to reach "the end", one of the three areas open to the player in the game, and defeat the boss and thus "winning" the game; however this needn't be your goal. With the same baffling enchantment that legos* entrapped you with as a child, Minecraft proves to titillate your creativity regardless of your age.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the game is easy knowing this though. The night time brings dangerous enemies such as zombies,(sl)endermen, skeleton archers and most infamously the exploding creepers. You are alone in this space, a blank slate stretching ridiculous distances in every direction (seriously. Each block is representative of 1 meter, meaning the available area you can explore is approximately the size of the surface of Jupiter). There's four difficulty levels (peaceful,easy, normal, hard) as well as three different modes of gameplay (survival, creative and hardcore). Survival is the standard Minecraft experience, complete with health, mining and a hunger bar, creative removes the hunger and health bars as well as giving the player access to an infinite number of the available blocks in the game, hardcore can be thought of as extreme survival with the game being locked into it's hardest difficulty, greater hunger penalties and no redo opportunities on death.

Now the general purpose I thought of this thread could be to show what we've built and to discuss the game, interesting things, share seeds, ect. Personally I always find myself building towns and Cathedrals but I invariably will delete the world soon after. Here's some screenshots of the town I'm working on as well as my half completed castle, which is buing built in chunks partially due to the fact that I need to build the island it's on out to expand it. It's only been a few days so it'd not too much. A few of these attachments are from an old world that I have since deleted. I apologize that they're so small :x
    Attached Files
    Circe

Re: Minecraft Thread of Mining and Crafting

Yey! I'll post properly when I'm at home (currently waiting in Durham bus station), but just wanted to say I'm very excited about this thread. I'll look at them properly on my PC, but from what I can see, those are some impressive creations.

I have an idea, but have done little towards it, to make a world with different tribes who each worship mobs as deities.. so there'd be a village worshipping the god of creepers, one for skeletons and so on... I was going to be a rare and solitary kind of witch-doctor who worships the gods of the End: one who has been to the End itself and brought back magical teachings.

Instead, well.. I made a house in a cave and dug a very big hole... I might return to my idea though. It would be fun designing whole villages based on various mobs.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I considered doing that too. Well actually I was thinking of things to build and thought "gee I could make a 60 meter tall creeper and the testificates could cower in fear of it's divine wrath". I never thought of competing or different little tribes. I was always thinking metropolis with a cultural melting pot or conquering empire. The empire was justification for my standard build style as cultural diffusion (I love sandstone despite the fact it's laughably weak blast resistance), usually build with that and the local wood in similar architecture of apartment style buildings and soaring structures with arches) over disproportionate areas. Mob villages sound like a fun thing to do. I would suggest imprisoning the Wither as god of skeletons but alas it's both impractical and probably impossible.

A nice tip if you didnt know is that if you use a nametag you can stop hostile mobs from despawning. That's why my village has stocks with witches in them and a previous incarnation had an enderman art gallery (make a space they cant teleport out of and fill it with things for them to move in different patterns). It was from the latter that I figured out exactly how few blocks endermen can actually move. Only naturally occurring blocks and just about exclusively surface blocks. Not knowing this I had a nice enclosure of tons of rainbow wool that the endermen just paced in since they couldn't touch it.

Another, huge project, is a museum that displays every mob and block. Trapping hostile mobs like creepers can be a tricky challenge in of itself outside of creative mode. put them in little cases with signs to label them. I gave up just trying to build a building capable of housing it all.
      Circe

Comment

I can see how this might become addictive,but it seems many things in the electronic world have this potential.
        One can become the "Creator" and the real world seldom provides this. I myself would probably never play this game simply because I would most likely get addicted and it takes a LOT of time when you end up in that space.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I just realized I forgot to add a footnote that I put an asterisk for. I guess I'll do it here.

* there actually is a Minecraft Lego set
          Circe

Comment

I've been playing Minecraft on and off for a few years now, but I have a nasty habit of making new worlds all the time, so anything interesting that I've started has never actually been finished.

Like, there was this underground pyramid thing I started. I mostly just wanted to mine lots of stone for another project (which I never even started, lol), so I did all that by hand (in survival) while listening to an audio book. The doors on each side lead out to a ring that goes all the way around, and it was originally going to be this city thing... but, yeah, never got around to finishing it.

I did this island bridge/towers thing, mostly in creative. Still working on finishing the main island section.

My favorite thing is this really simple fort/farm I built. It's my main fort in my main survival world. It's in the middle of a large plains biome, and I just like the way it looks from a distance when I'm running back from somewhere else, especially at night.
            Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Oh wow Gardenia that's really amazing I think I might *steal* some ideas from your castle for my palace. The fort is neat and I can see why it's your favorite.
              Circe

Comment

Woah.. I am surrounded by creative geniuses and I don't have anything I've built that I can share. I should really start a project though. It's finding the time that's the hardest part. Normally I just mess around on the server JP set up for me and some friends to play together and practice Japanese. I guess I could start a joint project with them. Maybe discuss creative plans via the forum and then when we get together, we all know what we each need to be working on.. not a bad idea I guess, if I could only convince them to get involved.

I didn't know that about the name tags stopping mobs from despawning. So, I could have a pet zombie if I really wanted? I would love that! Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, I knew enderman couldn't move so many blocks. JP and I make enderman traps to kill them easily when we want to collect pearls. I'm sure most people know about it but it's a floating platform that you can stand under but is too low for enderman to fit. You can then just run around hitting his feet while he tries to get you, until he dies. They obviously have to be made out of blocks he can't move, so we had to check which substances we could and couldn't make them from.

Does anyone watch minecraft videos on youtube? If so, are there any you'd like to share? JP and I are addicted to the Yogscast. I know you either love them or you hate them, but I just think they're great.

Actually, one of my favourite builds is featured during a Yogcast video. You'll start seeing it if you skip to 10 minutes, but it's the statues at the gate that really got me, and the suspension bridge and, well.. just the whole look, the way it seems to blend a celtic flavour with a futuristic feel. I have tried to find a better video that does it justice, but so far I've had no luck.. Definitely check it out if you have a second.

Besides the yogscast, most of the lets plays I watch are in Japanese unfortunately. There's one series which I just loved, where a guy got bored of living alone so decided to try to move into a village, wearing nothing but a pair of red socks! ^^

Oh one more thing. Has anyone noticed that the difficulty has gone up since the latest update? We just play on normal but it's sometimes really intense at night now, with masses of mobs.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

This looks a lot like legos, but you can probably tell I have nothing to share about it.

I must say those things you built look very nice Gardenia.
                  White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                  sigpic
                  In Days of yore,
                  From Britain's shore
                  Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                  And planted firm Britannia's flag
                  On Canada's fair domain.
                  Here may it wave,
                  Our boast, our pride
                  And joined in love together,
                  The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                  The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

The place I lived in for uni was a crazy building. All these old and new buildings, built on top of each other, joined by a connection of tunnels and passages. It has over 180 rooms, plus a gym, tennis court, kitchen, dungeon etc etc etc etc.

A mate of mine created the whole thing, TO SCALE, as well as labeling each door with the correct room number, in Minecraft. Epically legendary. I think they are using it these days to teach newbies the way around/confusing them even more
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                      This looks a lot like legos, but you can probably tell I have nothing to share about it.

I must say those things you built look very nice Gardenia.
                      At it's most basic, yes, it IS like lego.. but that is just one aspect of it, there is so much more to the game. You can build adventure maps, so basically design and create your own videogame, a little like Little Big Planet. They've introduced some new features that allow for even more creative options. Here was a short demo by the NoxCrew, that showcases what it can do..

There are vs games, like 'Race for the Wool' where two teams go head to head to find coloured wool on an insanely tough map. Or games where you can work together, like 'Dimention Jumper' in which you have to keep switching between heaven and hell in order to complete a series of puzzles (this one is worth linking I think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ah4psEra5g

Or you can play Hard Core Mode, where when you're dead, you're dead for good. One of the better English lets plays of this was probably that done by Peanutbuttergamer and his friends. Although the second season, where they went after the wither (one of the bos fights in the game), is a real fail, series one is pretty intense to watch towards the end. This also illustrates better the 'survival' aspect of the game. Sure, you build and create, but in this mode, everything you build WITH must be gathered yourself:

The Japanese are very fond of making short movies or anime series with Minecraft. It would be pointless sharing one of those here, but here is a trailer for one that is apparently due to be released next Spring (it's short and the dialogue isn't important, but I'll quickly translate):

'Well Horio*, that's enough playing for today. Right?'
                      'Okay, I should probably go to bed. Goodnight!'
                      'Lats play again tomorrow.'

........Cat spells out 'Dreamcraft'

'Where am I?'

Titles: Lost in a world
                      All alone
                      Living in a dream
                      Limited time
                      Irreplaceable

(no, makes no sense to me either but that's probably just my crappy translating).

'Dreamcraft: a story in dream. Starts spring, 2004.

Then he says 'ouch' a lot.

*I think the dog's name is from the word 'horu' to dig or mine, which is a clever name for a minecraft dog.

(this translation was brought to you by Jembru Essential Communications ltd.)

So yeah... building is definitely a huge part of the game, but it isn't the whole of it!

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                      The place I lived in for uni was a crazy building. All these old and new buildings, built on top of each other, joined by a connection of tunnels and passages. It has over 180 rooms, plus a gym, tennis court, kitchen, dungeon etc etc etc etc.

A mate of mine created the whole thing, TO SCALE, as well as labeling each door with the correct room number, in Minecraft. Epically legendary. I think they are using it these days to teach newbies the way around/confusing them even more
                      That sounds spectacular. I wish I could have seen it!

Comment

I have it on our college DVD. I have no idea how to share that, but if I work out how, I will.
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                          Woah.. I am surrounded by creative geniuses and I don't have anything I've built that I can share. I should really start a project though. It's finding the time that's the hardest part. Normally I just mess around on the server JP set up for me and some friends to play together and practice Japanese. I guess I could start a joint project with them. Maybe discuss creative plans via the forum and then when we get together, we all know what we each need to be working on.. not a bad idea I guess, if I could only convince them to get involved.
                          I would suggest setting up a paganforum server (god knows we have enough people) except I can't do multiplayer. You guys could if you want to.

I didn't know that about the name tags stopping mobs from despawning. So, I could have a pet zombie if I really wanted? I would love that! Thanks for the tip!
                          Yep! they're only found rarely outside of creative mode though. I think they're in mine shaft chests but I can't be sure. You rename them on an anvil then click the mob. The name will appear over it's head and it can't despawn anymore. However they will still attack you and zombies/skeletons will still burn in sunlight. It's nice if you want to have a pet hostile mob or want to add a zoo or something. Witches are fun to use them on. If you can get two witches to attack each other, they can't kill one another so put them in a case and watch.
                          Yeah, I knew enderman couldn't move so many blocks. JP and I make enderman traps to kill them easily when we want to collect pearls. I'm sure most people know about it but it's a floating platform that you can stand under but is too low for enderman to fit. You can then just run around hitting his feet while he tries to get you, until he dies. They obviously have to be made out of blocks he can't move, so we had to check which substances we could and couldn't make them from.
                          Creative. I've never made an enderman trap. I did make a mob grinder though but it was purposely small enough to stop endermen spawning since it used water to funnel drops. They also can't (or won't) teleport through bedrock (unless you hit them or shoot an arrow at them). It's what I made my pet endermens' tank out of, with a two wide section of glass pans to watch them through.

Actually, one of my favourite builds is featured during a Yogcast video. You'll start seeing it if you skip to 10 minutes, but it's the statues at the gate that really got me, and the suspension bridge and, well.. just the whole look, the way it seems to blend a celtic flavour with a futuristic feel. I have tried to find a better video that does it justice, but so far I've had no luck.. Definitely check it out if you have a second.
                          it really is very pretty. I've tried to make statues but I never get it right.

Oh one more thing. Has anyone noticed that the difficulty has gone up since the latest update? We just play on normal but it's sometimes really intense at night now, with masses of mobs.
                          I haven't been playing that long so I can't really say. The game does seem ridiculously hard at times though. There is however a mechanic that makes it get harder the longer you stay in one area
                          Circe

Comment

Hmm.. I actually didn't know about that.. that it gets harder if you stay put. I guess, so long as your home area is lit, it shouldn't be too bad. When I first noticed the change, was the first night JP and I played in the new server. I went into a very nearby forest to explore and it started to get dark. I was only maybe 20 blocks from our makeshift home (it was day 2 in minecraft days, so we had a little house at least), yet mobs just seemed to spawn by the dozen. They have introduced baby zombies and the amount of armoured mobs has increased. Oh and slimes are more common now, although I think that's so people can make ropes for the horses.

Name tags are more common than they used to be, as are saddles. Since they introduced the horses (which are glitchy as hell still), these are in demand more. I think saddles used to only be found in dungeons, but you can get them in mineshafts now too. We already have a name tag, but not enough XP to use the anvil yet. We only had one saddle, so we cheated and spawned in a second. Teehee..

A PF server? Hmm.. not a bad idea. I just don't know if we'd have time to host it. Finding time to play with the Japanese forum crew is proving hard enough, but it's an idea I wouldn't rule out. Our server does crash quite a bit though. We're looking into getting a better broadband package for that.

I am definitely stealing your idea of having an enderman tank! Don't they teleport through the glass though? I've always wanted a pet zombie too though, so maybe I'll see if I can get one to chase me all the way home without me dying and keep that as a pet instead. My other concern though, would be finding somewhere to put my bed that is far enough away that I'm able to sleep at night.

Comment

As long as the hole is only two blocks big and the rest is bedrock they can't get out unless they hit water or are attacked (these bypass it for some reason). I had zombies and skeletons in tanks along the walls and my bed was above the enderman tank so I guess if they're properly contained it lets you sleep. The sleep thing does do weird things though. On one save it kept insisting there were monsters nearby when I was on the top floor but let me sleep fine next to the skeleton tanks.

The baby zombies surprised my friend a lot. They're faster, harder to hit and don't burn in sunlight which makes them horribly annoying. Thankfully they have less health. Still I lost an entire village to one of those since they came out during the day and couldnt outrun it
                              Circe

Comment

Working...
                              X