Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Linguistics and the Craft

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
    I've got a daily Asatru app. It gives one quote from the edda and havamal daily and a different rune and its meaning everyday. It gives me something to think about when I drink coffee in the morning.
    That actually sounds great. I wouldn't mind something like that but for general witchery. I don't know where it would be, but I think there might have once been a thread for using our phones to aid our spirituality or craft. If I'm mistaken, we should maybe start one.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Name it doc! Mine is just called 'old norse' it's kinda like flash cards.
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

If you have a book or website you can learn old norse from, I highly recommend the free software 'anki'. You write your own flash cards and it tests you at intervals depending on how well you remember. I was learning maybe 60-80 new words a month before I found this program, and I usually forgot at least half of those if I didn't use them often enough. Anki keeps stats and since starting with it in May, I have learnt over 650 new words, readings and phrases! It's very powerful. Best thing, you can synch your decks to the website, so access from any PC and your phone, so you don't need to miss days! Oh and you can download decks others have made if someone already did old norse decks and shared them.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Simatong View Post
          would you think that doing spellwork or ritual-related work using a different tongue would add a different dimension to your workings.
          I'm more of a pantheist, but I do spellwork. I think as long as you understand what you're saying, then yes, it probably adds something, in much the same way as ritual clothing does.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            If you have a book or website you can learn old norse from, I highly recommend the free software 'anki'. You write your own flash cards and it tests you at intervals depending on how well you remember. I was learning maybe 60-80 new words a month before I found this program, and I usually forgot at least half of those if I didn't use them often enough. Anki keeps stats and since starting with it in May, I have learnt over 650 new words, readings and phrases! It's very powerful. Best thing, you can synch your decks to the website, so access from any PC and your phone, so you don't need to miss days! Oh and you can download decks others have made if someone already did old norse decks and shared them.
            only problem with those is you have to add stuff. That's why flash cards never really worked for me. I was too lazy to update it!

RIP

You cut your hair short
            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
              only problem with those is you have to add stuff. That's why flash cards never really worked for me. I was too lazy to update it!
              That's true, although with Anki you have the option of just downloading pre-made decks. I just prefer to make my own because that way I add words I came across while studying, so they actually have relevance and context. That's harder for old norse though. I mean, you can't meet native speakers for language exchange, or watch let's plays, listen to music or play videogames in the language, so using pre-made cards shouldn't really give you a disadvantage.

Comment

I just downloaded it out of curiosity. It has heaps of words though. My old Norse app I mean. Especially with MoonRaven posting the Voluspa in old Norse! I'll take a look at Anki though. Sounds cool. Maybe there's an Indonesian deck, pre made.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Indonesian, definitely! Old Norse, less definite, but this is a hugely popular program, so I'd be surprised if there's nothing.

Comment

Signing up now and cannot do so quick enough... Not only is there Indonesian, but Indonesian directly related to the modules I studied at uni.... Legendary! Thanks!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

You are forever welcome!! Honestly, I love this program so much. I mean I've acquired TWICE my usual vocab over the last 4 months, entirely thanks to this program. It's tedious at times, but if you want results, it gets them.

A few things though.. unless you know the word well enough that you're sick of the sight of it, always click 'hard'. Otherwise I found in the early days that the reviews got too far apart too quickly (and you can't change the settings). I even sometimes lie and tell anki I got a card wrong, just so it will reset to day 1 and let me practice it more often.

Also, I find giving myself extra reviews is helpful, because I need quite a lot of reinforcement. It took me a while to work out how to do this. You click on 'custom study' when it says you've completed the set for the day, then select 'review a random selection of cards'. I then ask it to select 100 cards, because none of my decks have over 100 in yet so I get to drill the whole deck.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and one more thing.. if you custom your cards to add sounds and images, never, ever add or delete 'fields'. I don't know what this is, or why it's there, but it won't just affect the card you're editing, it will affect all your cards and stop them from working. If you have backed up on ankiweb, it's not so bad, but I hadn't and lost over 80 cards this way.. tears all round that night.

Comment

Ahk sweet. Thanks for the tips.

I got Anki for Android on my phone, does it five you notifications? Or so you have to click it every day?

I started module one on the Indonesian, and they are all so eeeaaasy! But fun.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I've never used it on Android before. I just have it downloaded to my laptop and synched up with the online version, so I don't know. The PC version doesn't remind me. It just waits if I miss a day and throws an ungodly pile of cards at me to catch up when I get back! Lol

Comment

Haha. Sounds like something you have to click every 24 hours. Better than the apple version though. That costs $25. The android one is free, cos its not by the developers, its independent.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Personally I love the use of foreign language in ritual. I've done it a few times myself in parts of more elaborate rituals I've written. I think it helps me focus on the purpose and meaning of the ritual if I'm using languages outside of my native tongue.

Comment

I always do rituals in my native language, sometimes I use other rituals as inspiration or more or less copy them, but they have so far all been in English and a translation/rewriting then become part of the preparations, especially poems can be tricky, they are rewritten instead of direct translated. When I do a ritual I want to know the full meaning of the words to match my intentions. I think English (or German) could be an option it I ever would participate in a group ritual with people having other native languages than Danish.

Comment

Working...
                                X