This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aussie Election...

It's possible no-one wants to talk about this, and that's why it hasn't been bought up yet. But I know there's a lot of Aussies here, so, thoughts?
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Re: Aussie Election...

You will have to forgive us who live here in England's former colony across the Atlantic. We are not often aware of what is going on in the rest of the world much less in our United States. I know that Kevin Rudd is (or was) your prime minister and the opposition is from Tony Abbott but then Americans run into trouble. First it is hard to understand the term conservative Liberal-National coalition. The terms conservative and liberal do not mix so well next to each other especially in the state of Texas. Second, what does it mean obligatory vote. Third what is a wikileaks party and do you really have a pirate party. I think it is time for a deep breath.

If you will excuse our ignorance, I for one would like to know more about your election and what it means to you.
    Sincerely Ethelwulf

Comment

It's sort of hard for the rest of the world to understand what's going on over there. I have several Aussie friends who post about it but I find it a bit hard to follow. Most of the world's press kind of ignores it, which is a shame because Australia has a lot of economic importance. I knew there was an election and who was running, but I'm not really familiar with the key issues other than the fact that most Aussies seem very concerned with the economy.

I think it's also really overshadowed in Germany because we have our own elections coming up in a couple of weeks. Most of the media is super concerned with that and stuff outside of Germany is taking a sideline at the moment.

Comment

I don't blame anyone for not paying much attention, we're a rather small country and fairly isolated, at least geographically, from a lot of the rest of the western world.

In short, the greater of two evils won, we're stuck with a regressive backward conservative asshole dinosaur of a PM and my liver is going to take a serious beating over the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
          I don't blame anyone for not paying much attention, we're a rather small country and fairly isolated, at least geographically, from a lot of the rest of the western world.

In short, the greater of two evils won, we're stuck with a regressive backward conservative asshole dinosaur of a PM and my liver is going to take a serious beating over the next few years.

"Small" country? Aren't you the only country in the world who is also a whole continent? Which, if I may add, is a pretty neat thing.
          Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

The continent thing has up sides and down sides But small in terms of population, several US states have more people than us iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by ethelwulf View Post
              You will have to forgive us who live here in England's former colony across the Atlantic. We are not often aware of what is going on in the rest of the world much less in our United States. I know that Kevin Rudd is (or was) your prime minister and the opposition is from Tony Abbott but then Americans run into trouble. First it is hard to understand the term conservative Liberal-National coalition. The terms conservative and liberal do not mix so well next to each other especially in the state of Texas. Second, what does it mean obligatory vote. Third what is a wikileaks party and do you really have a pirate party. I think it is time for a deep breath.

If you will excuse our ignorance, I for one would like to know more about your election and what it means to you.
              Sincerely Ethelwulf
              Your question about the Liberal-National Party being connected with conservatism got me thinking! I don't really know how the Liberal Party got its name. The best my scant research can deduce is that they are conservative socially, but are economic libertarians (meaning they support free trade and try to withhold government regulation on business matters).

I think obligatory voting means that its law for everyone over 18 to register to vote. If you are an Australian Citizen, you are obliged to vote. You risk being fined if you don't register. When I asked mum how to vote at 18, she told me that classicly, LNP serves the interests of white middle class well-to-dos and business whereas Labor party serves the interests of the working class and poor through workplace relations and social reform/funding. And everyone taxes really rich people. Lol ^.^ It's a bit simplistic and not always true.

I feel the need to make it clear that Australians don't choose their PM. Each party chooses its leader, and then the leader become PM (if they win the seat in their own local area). It's important for Australians to remember that when they're voting, they're not really voting for a particular person, they are voting for the party. The reality of this really sunk in when Kevin Rudd was overthrown by his own party last year while in office. I was horrified.

We do have a Pirate Party which I did not even know about until I went to the ballot box yesterday! the Pirate Party lobby for copyright reforms.

The Wikileaks party I'm assuming is lead by Julian Assange who is famous for hacking into global government records and airing the dirty laundry on his webpage Wikileaks. He's currently holed up in London awaiting extradition to Sweden due to rape allegations who from there may be extradited to the US to face charges of espionage. I don't know what the agenda of the Wikileaks party could be.. possibly world social justice issues and a better informed Australian populace on matters of global interest?

Comment

Azvanna has got it about right. Pretty much Australian politics are disappointing. The winning party wants to 'stop the boats', asylum seekers, which they are calling 'illegal boat people' by buying up decrepit boats in Indonesia...... I mean what the f?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm looking forward to seeing the votes in the senate. It won't be quite so greens populated this time, but that's to be expected.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                  Hehehehe I tend to agree.

I felt this election was very much 'vote for the lesser of two evils to ensure that the other guy doesn't get it'. Unfortunately, the 'other guy' won.

I'm not very politically minded, and I fully admit that my view of the parties is relatively simplistic... much as Azvanna's mum lol. My own mum always votes Nationals because they serve the interest of farmers... she's not a farmer and while her parents were farmers they aren't anymore. But she still votes that way because she doesn't like ALP or Liberal.

I also admit I'm one of those people who factors the figurehead into my decision. I really, really, really did not want Tony Abbott to get it... and I was willing to forgive Labor it's see-sawing and undermining leader switches to thwart Abbott. Unfortunately a large chunk of the country didn't agree with me. And so now we have a leader and a party who want to cut weekend penalty rates, help big businesses keep their obscene riches while small business suffer, scarp the carbon tax, scrap the national broadband upgrade, abolish Medicare and privatize Australia's healthcare. Yay us.

I get that the Coalition will reduce some of the national debt, as they usually do, but at what cost?

Comment

The election results did get considerable news coverage here, if that means anything! They did a pretty good job of explaining both sides, though I think they got pretty judge-y that you elected a conservative (which is rich coming from a country run by a conservative party lol).

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                    Your question about the Liberal-National Party being connected with conservatism got me thinking! I don't really know how the Liberal Party got its name. The best my scant research can deduce is that they are conservative socially, but are economic libertarians (meaning they support free trade and try to withhold government regulation on business matters).
                    Haha that's the exact opposite of the Canadian liberals, who are economically conservative but socially liberal.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                    I feel the need to make it clear that Australians don't choose their PM. Each party chooses its leader, and then the leader become PM (if they win the seat in their own local area). It's important for Australians to remember that when they're voting, they're not really voting for a particular person, they are voting for the party. The reality of this really sunk in when Kevin Rudd was overthrown by his own party last year while in office. I was horrified.
                    I'm just curious...has a party leader ever failed to win a seat when his or her party got elected into government? It's never happened in Canada, but party leaders sometimes fail to get seats and theoretically it could. I'm curious if it's happened in any other parliamentarian countries and if so, what happened? Even if it hasn't, do you know what happens if it does?

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                      I'm just curious...has a party leader ever failed to win a seat when his or her party got elected into government? It's never happened in Canada, but party leaders sometimes fail to get seats and theoretically it could. I'm curious if it's happened in any other parliamentarian countries and if so, what happened? Even if it hasn't, do you know what happens if it does?
                      I'm pretty certain they just have to pick someone else in the party who did win their seat to be the PM. But I dunno

RIP

You cut your hair short
                      Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I'm guessing that's what would happen in Canada or the UK too....just wondering if it's ever happened anywhere lol.

Comment

Working...
                        X