Norse Rituals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norse Rituals?

I'm fairly new to Germanic Neopaganism and I have yet to meet anyone else who shares my beliefs. I've purchased a few books about practicing this branch of paganism, but very few of the daily rituals seem feasible (particularly since I'm not old enough to drink nor do I own a drinking horn lol). Does anyone have any daily rituals they could share with me? Or any advice about practicing this in the modern world for that matter.

Re: Norse Rituals?

As far as me and rituals go, I'm very fast and loose with them. I've found, in my experiences (which obviously will vary from anyone else's), that for the most part the gods don't care so much for huge, elaborate goings-on, as long as your heart is in the right place when you do whatever it is that you do.

Most mornings I will simply do a blind draw of a rune and take a moment, usually in the shower, to contemplate the message contained in that rune, as well as give a little prayer to whomever the rune is connected to, and to whomever the day is connected to. Other than that, I take a swing of mead on Wednesdays for Odin, giving him a bit of recognition. I'd think they'd understand if you were to replace the mead with a bit of honey, or something along those lines.

M&H

Comment

I would have to agree with you about the elaborate goings on and such. Would you mind elaborating on the runes? I've seen a lot of different sets of them and I'm not sure which are directly related to Norse traditions and which are just pagan in general, or are all they all the same? I really appreciate your advice btw. Thank you!

Comment

Being solitary I haven't done too many full on rituals. I do make offerings. Blot's are really the only rituals I can think of and they are done seasonally and involve ritual slaughter which most of us are not trained to do. Offerings to your ancestors and wights is a place to start if you looking for something to do daily or regularly. Offerings to the gods on their days of the week is one too. The rune sets Futhark and/or the Anglo-Saxon are what you want to look for. Most focus on the futhark.

Comment

Alright. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris the Bold View Post
            Would you mind elaborating on the runes?
            I use the Elder Futhark, and as for the meanings behind them, I spent some time researching each one, reading all the different ideas that people have attributed to them, and then coming to my own conclusion. In fact, it took some time to gasp my own understanding of them, as each night I would sleep with a single rune under my pillow until I felt that I had had a dream that helped me find my own truth about them.

In a way, they are all the same in that they represent sound, and in sound there is power. But, each culture and each set have their own subtle differences. Look them up, and find what feels good for you.

M&H

Comment

Check out Teutonic Religion by Kveldulf Gundarson. Also The Book of Troth (I'm having a senior moment, but I think Gundarson is the author of that one, too). It's probably more important to establish a good rapport with your local Landvaetter and Husvaetter than with the Aesir. Check out the Sunnyways site for some decent info in runes.
              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
              Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
              X