Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 Indian Men To Be Hung For Gang Rape- A Fair Sentence?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 Indian Men To Be Hung For Gang Rape- A Fair Sentence?

I am sitting in a cafe I frequently get tea in, and they have the radio on in the background. There is a group of young American tourists in as well, and this story came over this radio:

An Indian court has sentenced four men to the death penalty for the rape and murder of a 23-year-old student on a Delhi bus last December. The judge rejected pleas for a lighter sentence and condemned the men to be hanged to death.

The young tourists started talking about the story and since I'm the only other person in the cafe just now I could hear them (I wasn't eavesdropping honest ). They seemed to be horrified that for the rape and murder of this girl they were to be hung. They seemed to feel that the sentence was unjust.
    Now the link above is far more detailed then the radio story, and includes the fact that they were also found guilty of beating her friend to unconsciousness, and also that there was a 5th man involved, although considered a minor.

Now my question to you guys is whither or not you think that hanging is a "fair" sentence for these men? Do you think it should be reduced or are they getting what they deserve?

**THIS IS NOT A DEATH PENALTY DEBATE!!!!***
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Re: 4 Indian Men To Be Hung For Gang Rape- A Fair Sentence?

For me it is simple. They caused horror, broke a soul, a body and took a life. The punishment should be to lose their life. "An eye for an eye"
    (And they should be glad I'm not making the end decision, they would be begging to be hung, compared to what I would make sure is done to them!)

Comment

From what I know about this, the sentence is far, far more than fair.

It wasn't "just" rape (as if that wouldn't be bad enough!) - it was a brutal and horrendous murder, using rape as the weapon.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Now assuming the due process happened and evidence had (IE, that these guys weren't railroaded) I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how this is in any way an unjust sentence.
        "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

America has the death penalty for murder no idea why they would think it unfair unless they are ok with rape. India is trying very hard to start addressing the brutality their women are facing. I say good for them.

Comment

I think these guys got off easy..dieing is quick,I could think of other less desirable ways to go.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Just me speaking out my arse at the moment but I'd be willing to bet its not the death sentence itself as much as the method. I can't think of any state that uses hanging as a means of execution. Usually lethal injection or electric chair are the two methods you hear most often of though from the military aspect firing squad is still on the books.

As for the crime itself and the brutality of it, I'd say the punishment is appropriate. The only thing i'd truly wonder about is does this then change the social and cultural perspective towards rape in India or is it simply being lip service to the many protest from around the world as well as in country.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Sounds just to me.

They raped AND killed a women. I would lean toward the same answer if they raped her WITHOUT killing her, although that's not my final answer.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  Just me speaking out my arse at the moment but I'd be willing to bet its not the death sentence itself as much as the method..
                  I think you may have hit the nail on the head there actually!
                  "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

The USA treats abuse cases much too lightly IMO.
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                      The USA treats abuse cases much too lightly IMO.
                      I second this opinion.

But it sounds just to me honestly. Some might object to the method, but I say go for it. Especially since (if they're still using the old definition) it's "sentenced to hang by the neck until dead" and that could potentially take a while if done wrong to begin with
                      Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                      Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm more amused by the fact that the young ladies supposedly in an "anti-rape" protest sound more like in a "pro-death penalty" protest.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I'd say these men are getting off easy. I'm not necessarily for making their dying last longer, rather I feel everyone deserves a clean death, but I think shame as a punishment should be included in this sort of thing. I'm not sure of the most suitable method, but somehow making them face their own guilt along side just letting them die. The mind is a powerful thing.

Comment

I personally see no real difference int eh level of "brutality" in a given means of administering the death penalty. ALL means can "go wrong" and the condemned CAN suffer terribly. It's not the intent, but it can happen any way.

To me, as long as they aren't being intentionally tortured, then hanging works fine.
                            "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Sort of off topic but I tend to think the US and much of Western Europe has a thing about uncivilized methods of executing criminals. Uncivilized being beheading, drawn and quartered, hanging, stomping (don't hardly hear of that one), stoning, crucifixion, etc. Makes nations or people who use such methods seem barbaric in many ways to our collective perception thus their legal system not fair.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X