Alters/Shrines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alters/Shrines?

What's the difference between an alter and a shrine? How is each one set up and used?

Re: Alters/Shrines?

Technically, a shrine is a place dedicated to a deity or other revered figure where they are venerated/worshipped. An altar is a shrine where votive offerings are made.

How they are set up and used depends on the deity in question, the tradition it is for, the persons making and using it, etc....there's quite a bit of variety.

ETA: (I thought I had added this, but I guess not...I must have been thinking it and then gotten distracted) regarding the above, In practive, altars also aren't always dedicated to something/someone...nor do people always make offerings at altars.

Basically--altars are an "active" space, shrines are a "passive" space...or altars are a "working" space while shrines are a "worshiping" space. Its not exactly perfect, but it gives you the gist.
    Last edited by thalassa; 13 Sep 2013, 13:10.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Alters/Shrines?

Thanks for the explanation. ^^

Comment

Working...
      X