This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about Islam (Ask Away!)

Not sure if this was already asked but I'll just ask anyway. What's with the whole Sharia law thing? I think Egypt doesn't have as much of it like Saudi Arabia or Iran but they do hunt down gays and bi's and imprison them for being so((Probably why I could never be a Muslim even if I wanted to. xD)). Just curious.

War never changes.

Comment

Just as all Christians are not militant either are all Muslims. The radical Muslim leaders take control and the more militant radicals respond. If the moderates try to stop them they are targeted so it goes on.
      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Sorry, I have neglected this thread. Time to get it back in shape!

Originally posted by Siloh View Post
        Do Muslims believe there are djinn in our midst today?
        The Qur'an tells us about many things which we cannot see in our physical world, so to speak. This includes Angels, Heaven and Hell and so on. One of the creatures that God has created, which are mentioned in the Qur'an, are the Jinn. They are like us, in terms of some are good some are bad, some are Muslim some are not and so on.

There is a Surah in the Qur'an call The Jinn, if you want to read it, but it's not the only place the Qur'an talks about them. We believe God send Muhammad, peace be upon him, and the Qur'an for all creation, including Humans and the Jinn.

You can listen to it being recited here (with English translation).
        Last edited by Dumuzi; 01 Feb 2017, 09:54.
        [4:82]

Comment

I am actually fascinated by the Jinn, it seems a much more moderate view point than what Christianity has with demons. From what I remember (correct me if I'm wrong, D) Lucifer or Satan was one of the Jinn and said that he would do everything he could to tempt humans away from Islam to prove to Allah that we are not perfect or some such. Some Jinn agreed with him and helped him, but not all. It's probably one of the things that stuck with me the most.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
            I am actually fascinated by the Jinn, it seems a much more moderate view point than what Christianity has with demons. From what I remember (correct me if I'm wrong, D) Lucifer or Satan was one of the Jinn and said that he would do everything he could to tempt humans away from Islam to prove to Allah that we are not perfect or some such. Some Jinn agreed with him and helped him, but not all. It's probably one of the things that stuck with me the most.
            You are correct, Shahaku.

I'm paraphrasing here, but basically Iblis (that's the name given to him in the Qur'an, comes from the Arabic word that means to despair or to lose hope) thought he was superior to humans because he's made out of fire, while humans are made from mud. So the 'Original Sin' in the Qur'an is actually arrogance or even racism if you think about it! The Qur'an then teaches us that it's your actions and knowledge that raise you up above the level of angels or take you down below the level of even animals, rather than who you are or what you are made of.

Iblis then asks God not to punish him until judgement day, and God accept his request. Of course, what I really find interesting, is that the Qur'an itself negates the whole excuse of 'the devil made me do it', using the very words of the devil himself:

And Satan will say when the matter has been concluded, "Indeed, Allah had promised you the promise of truth. And I promised you, but I betrayed you. But I had no authority over you except that I invited you, and you responded to me. So do not blame me; but blame yourselves. I cannot be called to your aid, nor can you be called to my aid. Indeed, I deny your association of me [with Allah] before. Indeed, for the wrongdoers is a painful punishment." [14:22]
            I really love that Ayah.

Comment

Here's a question for you, Dumuzi:
              What is the exact number of times that the Koran states that non-muslims, aka kafirs (e.g. everyone on this forum other than yourself), will burn in hell? I've counted at least 20 times, but I've only searched through a small part of the Koran. I found one reference that states that there are "about 500" of such verses ( http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pa...-and-hate.aspx ), and it quotes a few excellent examples thereof, but then it states that those 500 verses are just mentions of hell- not necessarily about non-believers going there. My guess is that the answer to my question is somewhere between 100 and 200.

Comment

What would Allah do with your punishment [4:147]
                Hey Lydia!

I don't have an exact number but I'm sure it is way more than 20 times. More importantly, it's not just a mention of hell, but the Qur'an is also very vivid in describing hell and its punishment. And it paints a very graphic picture when it comes to hell. So there is no doubt that both heaven and hell are real places according to the Qur'an, the book gives both glad tidings for those who do good, but is also a warning for all mankind.

To go into further details, however, in regards to your question... A non Muslim according to Islam is not guaranteed hell, and a Muslim is not guaranteed Heaven. Most scholars have agreed that, generally speaking, there are 3 groups of non Muslims, and each of them will have different kinds of judgements.

1. Those who have learned and understood the message of Islam and rejected it. Here, the ayat about hell are applied to them.

2. Those who neither learned or knew anything about the message of Islam.

3. Those who have only received a distorted message of Islam either from websites like the one you quoted above, or directly from corrupt Muslims who gave a bad example of Islam to others, causing them to not want to follow such a corrupt religion.

The people of the last two groups, if they die as non Muslims, will not be judged like the first group. Evidence for that in the Qur'an are plenty, but here is one of them:

Whoever is guided is only guided for [the benefit of] his soul. And whoever errs only errs against it. And no bearer of burdens will bear the burden of another. And never would We punish until We sent a messenger. [17:15]
                So unless a human being was able to receive the actual message of Islam, they cannot be judged like those who clearly rejected the message.

Allah also says in the Qur'an:

But only one who comes to Allah with a sound heart [26:89]
                So he will judge us in accordance to what is in our hearts, and only he knows what's truly inside, and what kind of human beings we are, regardless of the labels we use to describe ourselves to others.

I would also like to go back to the very first ayah I quoted. What will he do with our punishment? What benefit does he get? In another ayah he says Except whom your Lord has given mercy, and for that He created them. As if he only created us to show us mercy. In one saying of Muhammad, peace be upon him, he says that God has created a home in the highest heaven for every single human being. The Qur'an says that his mercy encompasses all things. So sadly, the punishment of hell is to those who actively rejected the message completely. It's a reality according to the Qur'an, no doubt about it, but it also opens the door for everyone who wishes to enter into his mercy and forgiveness. In the end it's our responsibility and choices that determine that.

Another important part of your question is the word kafir. Actually, I'm a kafir as well! The word, linguistically speaking means someone who covers. It was used by the Arabs to describe farmers, for example, and in one ayah in the Qur'an it's used like that as well. However, you are right, it is mostly used to describe people who reject, or cover the truth, cover their eyes and ears from seeing and hearing the truth and so on.

And it's also used to describe Muslims. You see I'm a kafir when it comes to Zeus, Krishna, Horus and so on.

More importantly, these very harsh and severe descriptions are many times used to talk about specific kinds of non Muslims. You see these ayat were revealed in response to specific kinds of non Muslims who were actively fighting, torturing and even killing Muslims simply for their religion. So they are talking about the lowest of the lowest kind of human beings, because of their actions and not simply because of their beliefs.

Lastly, this is just a friendly advice, just reading the intro to the page you linked, it's so full of errors and false claims, it's not even funny. This is like learning about Paganism from the Westboro Baptist Church. With that said, you shouldn't take my word for it, can go into detail and provide evidence for my claims against that page if you want me to do so. But I don't want to derail or make this too long.

In any case, I hope I was able to answer your question in a clear and direct way. If you need me to expand on any matter I spoke about, please let me know, I tried to make this as short as possible.

Have a nice day!

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post

Hey Lydia!

I don't have an exact number but I'm sure it is way more than 20 times. More importantly, it's not just a mention of hell, but the Qur'an is also very vivid in describing hell and its punishment. And it paints a very graphic picture when it comes to hell. So there is no doubt that both heaven and hell are real places according to the Qur'an, the book gives both glad tidings for those who do good, but is also a warning for all mankind.

To go into further details, however, in regards to your question... A non Muslim according to Islam is not guaranteed hell, and a Muslim is not guaranteed Heaven. Most scholars have agreed that, generally speaking, there are 3 groups of non Muslims, and each of them will have different kinds of judgements.

1. Those who have learned and understood the message of Islam and rejected it. Here, the ayat about hell are applied to them.

2. Those who neither learned or knew anything about the message of Islam.

3. Those who have only received a distorted message of Islam either from websites like the one you quoted above, or directly from corrupt Muslims who gave a bad example of Islam to others, causing them to not want to follow such a corrupt religion.

The people of the last two groups, if they die as non Muslims, will not be judged like the first group. Evidence for that in the Qur'an are plenty, but here is one of them:

So unless a human being was able to receive the actual message of Islam, they cannot be judged like those who clearly rejected the message.

Allah also says in the Qur'an:

So he will judge us in accordance to what is in our hearts, and only he knows what's truly inside, and what kind of human beings we are, regardless of the labels we use to describe ourselves to others.

I would also like to go back to the very first ayah I quoted. What will he do with our punishment? What benefit does he get? In another ayah he says Except whom your Lord has given mercy, and for that He created them. As if he only created us to show us mercy. In one saying of Muhammad, peace be upon him, he says that God has created a home in the highest heaven for every single human being. The Qur'an says that his mercy encompasses all things. So sadly, the punishment of hell is to those who actively rejected the message completely. It's a reality according to the Qur'an, no doubt about it, but it also opens the door for everyone who wishes to enter into his mercy and forgiveness. In the end it's our responsibility and choices that determine that.
                  So Id be better off not hearing the true message of Islam then, incase i reject it? Haha
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                    So Id be better off not hearing the true message of Islam then, incase i reject it? Haha
                    Surely, rejecting to hear the message is still a form of rejection, right? :-P

Just be sincere in your heart and ask to be guided to the truth whatever it may be. You'll be guaranteed to receive something wonderful, god willing

Comment

Not to disparage any religious beliefs,but it seems there is a LOT of judging of people not part of said religion. I see this in Christianity,and it seems a base of most Abrahamic belief systems.(Note I am outside most "Dogmatic" beliefs,and tend to follow what I connect to and feel,rather than what I would be told to follow. I have no animosity toward "Dogmatic" systems,but could not follow something I did not connect with in spirit and soul. Just my belief that what is written does not mean it has a spiritual connection.

It should be also understood,I myself am a very eclectic person,and I find spiritual connection from "Some" parts other belief systems.
                      Last edited by anunitu; 04 Mar 2017, 05:41.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

D, isn't there a belief in Islam that there are multiple levels of heaven and hell and there's an existence somewhere in the middle that most people would fall into?
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                          D, isn't there a belief in Islam that there are multiple levels of heaven and hell and there's an existence somewhere in the middle that most people would fall into?
                          There are indeed different levels of heaven and hell, but all human beings end up in either one of them. You may be talking about what's known as Al A'raf (The Heights, or The Elevations) which is a place between heaven and hell where people whose good deeds are equal to their bad deeds go to, to be judged by God. The Qur'an talks about them in a Surah which has the same name.

So the Qur'an tells us about these people who are right between heaven and hell, which in the end are entered into heaven because of God's mercy. We also learn they are people whom those who entered hell have claimed that God will never show them mercy, so God turns to those people in hell and asks, aren't those the people whom you swore would not receive my mercy? And then he enters them into heaven.

So basically, we should never make a claim about whom God will enter heaven and who he won't. I'm sure we all know people who others have judged and claimed they'd never be worthy of heaven or God's mercy. So we should never make that mistake, lest we end up like those people in hell.

Here are the ayat from the Qur'an:

And between them will be a partition, and on [its] elevations are men who recognize all by their mark. And they call out to the companions of Paradise, "Peace be upon you." They have not [yet] entered it, but they long intensely.

And when their eyes are turned toward the companions of the Fire, they say, "Our Lord, do not place us with the wrongdoing people."

And the companions of the Elevations will call to men [within Hell] whom they recognize by their mark, saying, "Of no avail to you was your gathering and [the fact] that you were arrogant."

[ Allah will say], "Are these the ones whom you [inhabitants of Hell] swore that Allah would never offer them mercy? Enter Paradise, [O People of the Elevations]. No fear will there be concerning you, nor will you grieve."

Comment

Surely, rejecting to hear the message is still a form of rejection, right? :-P

Just be sincere in your heart and ask to be guided to the truth whatever it may be. You'll be guaranteed to receive something wonderful, god willing
                            Haha yeah I know. I keep an open mind 😉

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

There are indeed different levels of heaven and hell, but all human beings end up in either one of them. You may be talking about what's known as Al A'raf (The Heights, or The Elevations) which is a place between heaven and hell where people whose good deeds are equal to their bad deeds go to, to be judged by God. The Qur'an talks about them in a Surah which has the same name.

So the Qur'an tells us about these people who are right between heaven and hell, which in the end are entered into heaven because of God's mercy. We also learn they are people whom those who entered hell have claimed that God will never show them mercy, so God turns to those people in hell and asks, aren't those the people whom you swore would not receive my mercy? And then he enters them into heaven.

So basically, we should never make a claim about whom God will enter heaven and who he won't. I'm sure we all know people who others have judged and claimed they'd never be worthy of heaven or God's mercy. So we should never make that mistake, lest we end up like those people in hell.

Here are the ayat from the Qur'an:
                              So when people tell you that you're going to hell (usually christians) they actually have no right to say that? Haha

RIP

You cut your hair short
                              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I do wonder about something,having been brought up in a belief that rejects ANY religious symbol(SDA,and they use no cross as they believe that is Idolatry) I should let you know I am no longer a part of that belief. My question is about any image of Mohamed not being allowed,and why this is a part of the Muslim belief?

- - - Updated - - -

I did find this explanation from CNN,and it seems to be the same thing as SDA's not wanting anything that could become an Idol.

CNN Story here.

I do find this fact very enlightening.
                                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                                X