Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought, and this applies to all Abrahamic traditions - all the holy books have bits that can be taken out to mean "we are a lovely religion and we love you" and bits that can be taken out to mean "smite him". I have not read any holy book in full (im young, give me time) but i figure there would be a balance, and people just like to pull out the bits relevant to them.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

• Re: Questions about Islam (Ask Away!)

Thanks! Excellent response.

I've known enough to know these guys are wrong, but I haven't known enough to have a good reply.

Know I do.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

How do Muslim's generally view the era of the Crusades? Is it still held as a point of contention in some circles? Is it viewed as being Christendom's fault? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Constantine View Post
          How do Muslim's generally view the era of the Crusades? Is it still held as a point of contention in some circles? Is it viewed as being Christendom's fault? Just curious.
          This is more of historical question than it is religious. The way a Muslim would study these events really depends on where they went to school. So a Canadian Muslim might have a different view than a Brazilian, Australian or Chinese Muslim, know what I mean?

So the following answer is just my own experience which does NOT represent the views of all Muslims, it's just a personal answer from me, that has nothing to do with Islam as a religion and more to do with my own, lots of times flawed, understanding of certain historic events.

The Crusades are viewed as the European rulers' attempt to invade and exploit the rich lands of the Arabs, misusing and misrepresenting Christianity to gain support from their people against the 'Infidel' Arabs. It's similar to what would later happen to South and Central America by the invading Europeans.

Mostly, it's used as criticism of Europe at the time, politically speaking, and has less to do with Christianity as a religion. It is also worth mentioning that Salahudeen (Saladin) is held in very high regard among Muslim as a historical figure.

On a lighter note...

An old Egyptian movie about him can give you an idea on how we view these events, if you have 2 hours to kill But it has less to do with history and more to do with how the audience feels and thinks about the issues brought up when talking about the Crusades.

It has English subtitles.
          Last edited by Dumuzi; 16 Apr 2017, 00:54.
          Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]

Comment

i find this compelling and wish D was here to speak on it

i think D would have understood my interest.

- - - Updated - - -

i find this compelling and wish D was here to speak on it

i think D would have understood my interest.

- - - Updated - - -

not sure how i got two youtube links in here

- - - Updated - - -

mask could you fix it?
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

[post deleted my user]
              Last edited by Guest; 28 Sep 2021, 00:15.

Comment

Working...
              X