X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about Islam (Ask Away!)

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=96.msg4048#msg4048 date=1287360502]
    Arnt the five pillars islam's commandments?
    [/quote]

Think of them as pillars on which Islam is built. Now the pillars of a building aren't exactly the same as the building itself, right?

We achieve the goals of Islam through the pillars of Islam. (Some of which don't become obligatory in certain situations by the way. The sick don't have to fast, the poor don't pay the Zakah, both sick and poor don't have to perform the Haj and so on)

[quote author=MaskedOne link=topic=96.msg4050#msg4050 date=1287361376]
    Wouldn't the 10 Commandments still be considered applicable? I don't see anything in them that would merit overturning by a later Prophet.
    [/quote]

You make a very good point MaskedOne.

That's why I said there are similarities that can be found in lots of religions. And there are a lot of good things that can be found in many religions.

And like you said, the ten commandments do go with Islam and not against it. So Islam is just there to confirm those rules.

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=96.msg4229#msg4229 date=1287409038]
    So, Dumuzi or anyone else who has studied Islam, with so many stories, do you have a favorite? If so, what is it?
    [/quote]

Hmm, it's really hard for me to pick a favorite!

But I can think of a couple of them that I think are nice.

1. How Abraham finds God by pondering other things which people used to worship, as the starts, the moon and the sun. The equivalent of it today for me would be to logically and critically think about other religions, which will end up leading you to the religion of Islam. Which is what I personally try to do!

2. Abraham and the Idols. In this story the Qur'an shows that you should not follow a religion just because you are born into it, and it happens to be the religion of your ancestors. Rather, you should follow reason and your mind. It's a really interesting story that takes place when Abraham was younger.

3. Moses and Al-Khidr. Another really interesting story about how things may happen in life which we may not understand, but end up being actually good things.

I'm sure if you ask other Muslims, they will have other answers
    [4:82]

Comment

Why was muhammid the last prophet why didn't god send more? We could always use a prophet don't you think? How much better would the world be if we had another prophet? Does islam have a messieh?
      Circe

Comment

Is Muhammad the last prophet or is he the last one that we've encountered to date?
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

[quote author=MaskedOne link=topic=96.msg4368#msg4368 date=1287428762]
          Is Muhammad the last prophet or is he the last one that we've encountered to date?
          [/quote]

Yes, he is the last prophet.

The Qur'an says:

Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but (he is) the Messenger of Allah, and the Seal of the Prophets: and Allah has full knowledge of all things. [33:40]

There's also lots sayings about that topic and here is one of them:

Narated By Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "My similitude in comparison with the other prophets before me, is that of a man who has built a house nicely and beautifully, except for a place of one brick in a corner. The people go about it and wonder at its beauty, but say: 'Would that this brick be put in its place!' So I am that brick, and I am the last of the Prophets."

So as you can see, the message and religion of Islam has been completed and perfected by the last messenger, Muhammad.

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=96.msg4345#msg4345 date=1287426380]
          Why was muhammid the last prophet why didn't god send more? We could always use a prophet don't you think? How much better would the world be if we had another prophet? Does islam have a messieh?
          [/quote]

He is the last one because the message has already been completed. Read the Hadith above and also the following verse where God says:

This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion. [5:3]

And also in the very last sermon of Muhammad before his death he said the following:

"... Reason well, therefore, O People, and understand words which I convey to you. I leave behind me two things, the Quran and my example, the Sunnah and if you follow these you will never go astray."

So the religion is complete. And the message has been conveyed to us. However, it is up to each one of us whether we want to accept the message or reject it. There is big emphasis on personal responsibility in Islam. And the job of the messengers of god is done. They were all preparing mankind for the final message, and that one was completed with the Qur'an.

So here is the religion of Islam, completed and perfected for us. Some people will choose to follow it, and others will choose to reject it.

Comment

So I know last time I asked a question, it went badly -- but bear with me here. I was reading a pregnancy board and this question comes directly from that.

First, I understand that in most Abrahamic religions, premarital sex is bad and so are babies out of wedlock, especially made with someone not of the same faith. I also know that these often result in shotgun weddings in traditional families or just a lot of shame. But according to this poster, a Muslim family will consider a child created this way an orphan and refuse to acknowledge it's existence.

The original poster was the pregnant woman in question; white and non-Muslim. Several women claiming to be Muslim on the board attacked her for "getting herself pregnant" (even though she'd been in a sexual and romantic relationship with the baby daddy for 3 years) and told her she was at fault. They also said she just better deal with it, because she didn't deserve any help with her child from it's father and father's family because she was, in essence, a whore.

Is this true? Is it a religious thing? Or is this maybe more of a cultural thing and this man is "hiding" behind religion as to not have to take responsibility for his part in making this baby?

Or is the original poster and her attackers just having a good case of internet drama?

Comment

[quote author=Rowanwood link=topic=96.msg6328#msg6328 date=1287930388]
              So I know last time I asked a question, it went badly -- but bear with me here. I was reading a pregnancy board and this question comes directly from that.
              [/quote]

I'm glad you are asking questions again, and I guess fiiiiiine I'll bear with you

First, I understand that in most Abrahamic religions, premarital sex is bad and so are babies out of wedlock, especially made with someone not of the same faith. I also know that these often result in shotgun weddings in traditional families or just a lot of shame. But according to this poster, a Muslim family will consider a child created this way an orphan and refuse to acknowledge it's existence.
              Before I go into explaining the Muslim point of view, I'd like to explain why they are behaving that way. They want to punish an innocent baby for the crime of an adult who committed adultery. They wish to hide that crime, but if they acknowledge the baby then they can't hide the crime.

The original poster was the pregnant woman in question; white and non-Muslim. Several women claiming to be Muslim on the board attacked her for "getting herself pregnant" (even though she'd been in a sexual and romantic relationship with the baby daddy for 3 years) and told her she was at fault.
              BOTH were at fault. I'm assuming the man was Muslim in this situation? If that's the case then there is bigger blame on him because he did something against his religion.

If she is non Muslim, why are people using Islam against her? Unless, they are just saying that she shouldn't have been with a man who doesn't really want to be with her and would leave her right away. In that case, yes she was wrong, shouldn't have let a man get what he wants from her. It goes both ways though, he shouldn't have been with a woman if he's just gonna leave her in the end.

Is this true? Is it a religious thing? Or is this maybe more of a cultural thing and this man is "hiding" behind religion as to not have to take responsibility for his part in making this baby?
              You'll notice all this discussion is about the man and the woman. Who's fault is it? What should have been done? blah blah blah

Who is the only person not to be blamed in this situation? The baby. And who is the only person that will actually be punished in this situation? The baby.

I've looked this up on several Muslim websites and here's what scholars have to say about this situation:

- ... and it is not lawful to hold against him (the baby) a crime which he did not commit, so no distinction should be made between him and other children born in wedlock, for that is injustice which Allah has made forbidden, and the discrimination between him and others can make children born from adultery into enemies of their societies, that held them responsible for a crime committed by others and punished them for it, and that is something no religion nor mind can agree with, and Allah knows best.

(The last one I translated myself)

So I'd say they are hiding from their culture in refusing to take care of the baby. But you can't hide from Allah.

Or is the original poster and her attackers just having a good case of internet drama?
              Yep, that too.

Honestly, I think it's just women fighting each other. They're probably all trolls

Comment

What, if any, is the view of using animal parts in medicine? Specifically something like pig valves for hearts etc?
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=96.msg6406#msg6406 date=1287953679]
                  What, if any, is the view of using animal parts in medicine? Specifically something like pig valves for hearts etc?
                  [/quote]

As long as it's life saving or a medical necessity, and there are no other options then it's OK. Remember that even the no pig eating rule has exceptions, like if you are starving and the only food you have is pork. In that case you can eat just enough to save you life.

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah. But whoever is forced [by necessity], neither desiring [it] nor transgressing [its limit] - then indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful. [16:115]

So using pig valves or life saving medication that has alcohol in it and so on becomes an obligation because it will save your life. Allah is the oft-forgiving and the most merciful after all

Comment

Two questions:

1) Sprouting off the the question about pregnancy out of wedlock: So, I understand that not all Muslim cultures are the same in their treatment of women. As in, I believe it's been indicated that you don't believe in subjugating women as is done in parts of the middle east, but is there any similarity when it comes to issues like adultery, divorce, and widowhood? And if scripture doesn't allow for the way that those people treat women, then how do they justify it?

2) Sprouting off the medical post: What if something isn't necessarily necessary, like a person who could use a blood transfusion or other transplant, but it isn't necessary to their life? Like it may extend it a little, or make living easier, but it isn't necessary. Especially with modern technology, people can live for some time on dialysis or a pace maker instead of getting a kidney or heart transplant.
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=96.msg6651#msg6651 date=1288031736]
                      1) Sprouting off the the question about pregnancy out of wedlock: So, I understand that not all Muslim cultures are the same in their treatment of women. As in, I believe it's been indicated that you don't believe in subjugating women as is done in parts of the middle east, but is there any similarity when it comes to issues like adultery, divorce, and widowhood? And if scripture doesn't allow for the way that those people treat women, then how do they justify it?
                      [/quote]

OK, the issue of adultery on one hand is VERY different than the issues of divorce and widowhood on the other hand.

In Islam adultery is a very big no no. However, the treatment of BOTH males and females who commit adultery is exactly the same. So there is no discrimination here since they are equal no matter what their gender is.

Divorce is allowed in Islam. It is true that out of all things permissible in Islam divorce is the least liked, but still it is not forbidden. The Qu'ran gave many rights to women who are divorced. Probably, before any other legal system did the same for women. I'll provide you with links if you want to learn more about that. (Since it's a big topic)

Same goes to a widowed woman. Just a FYI, with the exception of one, all of Muhammad's wives were previously married before him (widowers and one was divorced)

As for the scripture question. Why do people lie when it goes against scripture? Why do the steal? Why do they cheat? See where I'm going with this?

2) Sprouting off the medical post: What if something isn't necessarily necessary, like a person who could use a blood transfusion or other transplant, but it isn't necessary to their life? Like it may extend it a little, or make living easier, but it isn't necessary. Especially with modern technology, people can live for some time on dialysis or a pace maker instead of getting a kidney or heart transplant.
                      That's why I said life saving or a medical necessity. All those things are allowed.

Actually, it's not just a matter of something being allowed or not forbidden, but god willing Allah will reward those people that donate blood for example greatly, for helping to save a human's life. According to the Qur'an, if you save the life of one human, it will be like saving the life of all mankind.

Comment

The adultery question brings up another one for me: how is adultery defined? I know that Muhammad had multiple wives, so polygamy/polyamory seems to be permitted. What about mutually consensual swinging or polyamory that doesn't involve adding the person permanently to the marriage?

Comment

[quote author=Gwen link=topic=96.msg6693#msg6693 date=1288035340]
                          The adultery question brings up another one for me: how is adultery defined?
                          [/quote]

To make it as simple and as clear as possible:

Adultery is sex outside of marriage. In other words, in Islam, you can only have sex with someone you are married to.

Comment

I would love the links, but to be a little more specific, I'm not so much interested in a human rights arguement as a philosophical/religious one. It's not that human rights aren't important, it's just that that isn't the information I'm interested in right this moment.
                            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Sorry if this is a repeat question.

Is traditional garb required for women who are muslim? Or is it just a cultural thing? For instance, an american woman chose to become muslim, but did not wear the garb, would she be frowned upon by other muslims?
                              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                              Sneak Attack
                              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Hello,

I did a religious history course a few years back that said the word Jihad basically translates into struggle in English, what does the word actually mean to you as a Muslim and to Muslims in general? Do you think it is something which has been misunderstood by people who don't know much about Islam, or corrupted by fundamentalists?
                                http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                                X