X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about Islam (Ask Away!)

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=96.msg6710#msg6710 date=1288039729]
    I would love the links, but to be a little more specific, I'm not so much interested in a human rights arguement as a philosophical/religious one. It's not that human rights aren't important, it's just that that isn't the information I'm interested in right this moment.
    [/quote]

Could you please explain what you mean by philosophical/religious specifically? I want to provide you with the information you are interested in!

[quote author=Juniper link=topic=96.msg6740#msg6740 date=1288044249]
    Sorry if this is a repeat question.

Is traditional garb required for women who are muslim? Or is it just a cultural thing? For instance, an american woman chose to become muslim, but did not wear the garb, would she be frowned upon by other muslims?
    [/quote]

Depends on what you mean by traditional garb. In Islam you can wear what you want, whatever culture it comes from, as long as it covers the body except the face and the hands. Plus, the material can't be too tight or transparent But that goes without saying.

There are a lot of Muslims who do not follow this. They are still Muslim and everything, but it would be considered as a sin. So the least one can do is try to wear more modestly.

(My mother, by the way, doesn't cover her head but shhhhh )

[quote author=shadow1982 link=topic=96.msg6746#msg6746 date=1288045017]
    Hello,

I did a religious history course a few years back that said the word Jihad basically translates into struggle in English, what does the word actually mean to you as a Muslim and to Muslims in general? Do you think it is something which has been misunderstood by people who don't know much about Islam, or corrupted by fundamentalists?
    [/quote]

You are right!

Jihad is the Arabic word for struggle, striving and so on.

For me, the way I understand it, is that there are two types of Jihad. The major Jihad, which is an intrinsic struggle against your self, because we have to be strong and in control of our self. And the minor Jihad, which is an extrinsic struggle against other people that wish to harm myself or others.

The word has been misunderstood (or perhaps deliberately twisted) by people who don't know much about Islam, in my opinion. If you went to school for a couple of years you'd understand what the word means in Arabic. How that word is twisted into holy war, I don't know.

It is true, however, that we as Muslim must strive and struggle against others in terms of fighting against them in certain situations. But that has nothing to do with forcing religion on others because the Qur'an itself speaks against it. Actually, the reason we are told to fight is to stop others from forcing religion on people and oppressing them because of this, the Qur'an says:

And what is [the matter] with you that you fight not in the cause of Allah and [for] the oppressed among men, women, and children who say, "Our Lord, take us out of this city of oppressive people and appoint for us from Yourself a protector and appoint for us from Yourself a helper?"[4:75]

I don't wanna make this too long, but I also speak about this in another post that you can read here.

[4:82]

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg6756#msg6756 date=1288047252]
      .... as long as it covers the body except the face and the hands.... [/quote]
      This bit in particular is what I was getting at.
      There are a lot of Muslims who do not follow this. They are still Muslim and everything, but it would be considered as a sin. So the least one can do is try to wear more modestly.
      [/quote]
      It's not something that other Muslims would stare and/or scold at then? I can understand the modest dress part. Would jeans (not skin tight ones) and a t-shirt be considered not modest enough? Just to clarify, I have been speaking from a "in public" perspective. I assume that these dress codes do not apply to within the home?
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

[quote author=Juniper link=topic=96.msg6784#msg6784 date=1288049403]
        This bit in particular is what I was getting at.
        [/quote]

okie

It's not something that other Muslims would stare and/or scold at then?
        Depends on what you are wearing and where you are. Wish there was a more specific answer, but generally speaking, if a woman is not walking around in a miniskirt or showing off her shoulders or back etc. then no one really stares. But even that, in some places, wouldn't be considered 'stare worthy'.

I can understand the modest dress part. Would jeans (not skin tight ones) and a t-shirt be considered not modest enough?
        Again, it depends on where you are but I'd say that in most places that is considered OK.

Just to clarify, I have been speaking from a "in public" perspective. I assume that these dress codes do not apply to within the home?
        Yep. They only apply when a woman is in front of a 'strange adult male'.

As in they don't apply in front of other women, children and first degree male relatives (Your father, brother, uncle, grandfather, son, grandson, nephew ... ) Oh and your husband of course! Can't believe I was gonna forget that hehehe

Comment

I'm interested in knowing more about Sharia law; this is a phrase I've heard before and know a tiny bit about, but it's come up in the dialog here concerning whether or not Americans should be threatened by Muslims and Islam. This video specifically is currently a topic of discussion. I'd like to be better informed before I contribute.

What IS Sharia law? Is it a threat to America in some way?

Comment

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=96.msg8632#msg8632 date=1288560812]
            I'm interested in knowing more about Sharia law; this is a phrase I've heard before and know a tiny bit about, but it's come up in the dialog here concerning whether or not Americans should be threatened by Muslims and Islam. This video specifically is currently a topic of discussion. I'd like to be better informed before I contribute.
            [/quote]

First of all I must say that I think the opinions of the man mentioned in the video are utterly disgusting. He uses fabrications and scare tactics in order to support his opinion. What he says is very dangerous.

He begins by saying, "I believe every Muslim should be allowed to worship freely." However, towards the end he says, "Islam itself is not a religion ... it should not be protected under the first Amendment."

And even says, "We've been infiltrated by people of the Islamic faith."

While this doesn't concern me personally, it should be a matter of great concern to Americans. Imagine if you Rafe decided to become Muslim for whatever reason. According to the opinions expressed in this video, that decision would automatically strip you from the rights provided to you by your country. You'd be considered as a threat that has 'infiltrated' the country.

And yet, it is Shari'ah law that is accused of taking away your rights. I find this ironic.

He mentions the Fort Hood shooting and explains why the shooter committed this crime. He says, and I'm quoting, "... and when he went into that facility and started killing people he was doing that because he is an adherent of the dictates of the Qur'an and the Shari'a law."

This claim is not supported by any proof whatsoever.

This is the type of lies made about Islam that I was talking about. And that is exactly what people use when attacking Islam. The problem is, he isn't just attacking the religion of Islam, but he is attacking and suggesting taking away the rights of American citizens that happen to be Muslim.

What IS Sharia law?
            I apologize for the really long part above, when you just wanted your two questions answered! But it's just that I thought those are very dangerous words and it pissed me off.

So what is Shari'a law? Simply, it's the law and the rules derived from the Qur'an and the Sunnah of prophet Muhammad.

You could just say Muslim or Islamic law if the Arabic word is too confusing.

But chances are, whatever they tell you is shari'ah law is probably not. So be careful and don't believe everything they claim about Islam.

Is it a threat to America in some way?
            I have no reason to believe so, in some ways it would actually benefit America. But it is more complicated than that.

The rules that fall under that law are very diverse and also flexible. Difference of opinion exists within it and is allowed by Islam. That is, while the Qur'an itself is considered to be 100% from god and divine, the rules that scholars have derived from it are in some cases not set in stone.

On the other hand, would these rules be a threat to the American way of life? Again, it depends.

If you asked me that question 40 years ago or even before that I would say yes it is. Because under Islamic law all people are equal whatever their skin color is. Muhammad said, " ... a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action."

A lot of Americans back in those days would have considered this rule as unamerican. While I think it would have benefited America.

But also an Islamic law would probably not allow gay marriage. While some Americans would think that is awesome because they are also against it, other Americans would be against that particular rule and not like it. So it depends.

Actually, if you examine the core basics of those rules you will find that they are very similar to the basic ideas and beliefs on which America was built. And I can back that claim up.

But I thought it would be better to show you what an actual American Muslim scholar has to say about Islam in America. The video is a bit long but it's really nice. So if you have the time, listen to it, and you be the judge.

Hamza Yusuf : Changing The Tide / Islam in America
            [youtube]WfEIGw8NtNA[/youtube]

Comment

First of all I must say that I think the opinions of the man mentioned in the video are utterly disgusting.
              I couldn't agree more. However, he does say one thing that IS true - we should know what it actually is.

I apologize for the really long part above, when you just wanted your two questions answered! But it's just that I thought those are very dangerous words and it pissed me off.
              No reason to apologize; if I didn't want your thoughts on it, I wouldn't have shared it with you I wanted to hear what you had to say in response to that man.

I think what he and people like him are trying to get across is their fear that their way of life - their CHRISTIAN PRIVILEDGE - is being threatened. Yeah, to a Christian, especially the ones around here that are sheltered from the way people in other parts of the globe and even the country, Sharia probably sounds scary because it has some things in it that are different from what they believe. However, someone saying (I don't know why he believes this, either) that Sharia law is somehow going to REPLACE the Constitution of the US frightens some Christians because - whether or not they see it - the law that is already in place favors THEM, and they perceive a threat of not being the majority anymore.

I say, why panic over it when you've already got Christian laws in place? If they're so concerned about religion changing the Constitution, I'd like to be able to buy liquor on Sundays.

Comment

Sorry for the double post!

How is Sharia interpreted nowadays? I've read some on how classical Sharia included this or that rule or law, but how is it used in modern day Islam?

What I'm thinking is that there are a lot of religious laws in Leviticus involving violence done to people who commit sins like labor on the Sabbath, and various states of being "unclean". These aren't observed by Christians or Jews, for the most part, and aren't really taken seriously for whatever reason. How are the parts of Sharia that are currently seen as excessively violent across the globe (for instance, the stoning of women who commit adultery) accepted among most current Muslims?

ETA: This link goes to a video wherein (I think; I haven't watched it yet, but I wanted to catch you while you were online XD) the same man shares his knowledge of Sharia. *shrug*

Comment

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=96.msg9054#msg9054 date=1288665500]
                  How is Sharia interpreted nowadays? I've read some on how classical Sharia included this or that rule or law, but how is it used in modern day Islam?
                  [/quote]

The thing is that in our point of view, the basics of these rules are universal and not related to a certain time. These basic rules are very similar to the basic human rights. Actually, Islamic law even has laws on the treatment of animals and is against the cruel treatment of animals.

(Quick view of human rights in Islam)

But as you move away from those basics, the rules become more flexible. That is, there are a lot of options so that if one thing doesn't work in one place, it might work at another.

So yes, we do take those rules seriously and we accept them. Even those rules that may seem too violent, they are always presented as half truths, and the true purpose of them is often distorted. And the saddest thing in my opinion is when people sum up the whole law into just one act of punishment and forget everything else about that law.

They forget how under it everyone is treated justly and equally. And how under it the non Muslim's life, property, honor and places of worship are protected by the state.

ETA: This link goes to a video wherein (I think; I haven't watched it yet, but I wanted to catch you while you were online XD) the same man shares his knowledge of Sharia. *shrug*
                  http://www.morningstartv.com/oak-ini...cs-shariah-law
                  Thank you for raising my blood pressure again

Yeah, he did it again. Islam shouldn't be protected by the First Amendment. Notice, how he keeps mentioning "Shari'a Law" and then mentioning something really negative after it.

For example, he keeps talking about the shooting, and I have yet to understand how it's related to Shari'a law, since under it committing murder can be punished by death. He also says that a court gave the right to a husband to beat the crap out of his wife. Which is something we've discussed here many times.

And then he says how a woman accused of adultery should be stoned. Here he makes two mistakes. 1. It's actually the other way round. Accusing a woman in her honor is severely punished by law unless you can provide four witnesses that have actually seen the same act happening in front of their eyes, which is near to impossible. So the law punishes the accuser, not the other way round in that case. 2. The law doesn't discriminate between men and women in that case. But he makes it sound as if the law only applies to women.

Anyway, my whole point is that what those people do is to tell you half a truth or just make things up in order to scare people about Islam.

And I understand if you disagree with certain rules in that law because that's your right. But to make that jump between not agreeing with a rule or two, to Muslims are a threat and shouldn't be protected by law? Yeah, that's very dangerous.

Comment

Thank you for your responses - I'll let the subject rest for now in this thread and go deal with it in real life for a while There are debates with family members to be had :

Comment

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=96.msg9374#msg9374 date=1288734906]
                      Thank you for your responses - I'll let the subject rest for now in this thread and go deal with it in real life for a while There are debates with family members to be had :
                      [/quote]

If there is anything that applies to this discussion, it's what a great teacher once said a long time ago. This will be very helpful for your discussion, Rafe:

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

Comment

Could you please explain what you mean by philosophical/religious specifically? I want to provide you with the information you are interested in!

[/quote]

Sorry to take so long getting back here. It's been a bit to hectic lately for some of my deeper thinking.

What I'm interested in is what you would find the Qa'ran. And perhaps what is/isn't culturally acceptable in certain parts of the world. I don't much care for what politics say is right or wrong or what is legal/not. I'm looking for the purely religious standpoint and how people perceive what is written in their religious texts. Before the government interferes. If that makes sense.
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Hmm, well sorry to double post but it has been awhile since my last one as well..

Anyway, I was just wondering at what age people become mature in Islam. When are they allowed to marry? And when do they start wearing traditional garb? Like you don't see little girls wearing veils or even long sleeves all the time, from what I've seen. I never really thought about the clothing restrictions for men, but I assume it's something of the same?

Oh, and I'm taking an intro class on Islam next semester. Hoping it will be real intersting.
                          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=96.msg11703#msg11703 date=1289431703]
                            Sorry to take so long getting back here. It's been a bit to hectic lately for some of my deeper thinking.

What I'm interested in is what you would find the Qa'ran. And perhaps what is/isn't culturally acceptable in certain parts of the world. I don't much care for what politics say is right or wrong or what is legal/not. I'm looking for the purely religious standpoint and how people perceive what is written in their religious texts. Before the government interferes. If that makes sense.
                            [/quote]

I was wondering where you went to!

Actually, that's what I meant when I was suggesting giving you links. The topic of divorce and the rights of women in Islam is a big topic. So I'm jsut gonna give you samples of some verses of the Qur'an talking about it.

First I want to point out that while divorce is permissible in Islam, it is the least of everything allowed in Islam. So it should be prevented as much as possible, and reconciliation between the couple should be encouraged.

Qur'an says:

And if you fear dissension between the two, send an arbitrator from his people and an arbitrator from her people. If they both desire reconciliation, Allah will cause it between them. Indeed, Allah is ever Knowing and Acquainted [with all things]. [4:35]

The Qur'an also explains how a husband has to treat his wife with kindness and even if there's something he dislikes then perhaps there is more good in her. And even when they want to be divorced, he's not allowed to take anything back from what he has given her.

O ye who believe! Ye are forbidden to inherit women against their will. Nor should ye treat them with harshness, that ye may Take away part of the dower ye have given them,-except where they have been guilty of open lewdness; on the contrary live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a thing, and Allah brings about through it a great deal of good.

But if you want to replace one wife with another and you have given one of them a great amount [in gifts], do not take [back] from it anything. Would you take it in injustice and manifest sin?

And how could you take it while you have gone in unto each other and they have taken from you a solemn covenant?
                            [4:19-21]

Anyways, here's a general verse talking about divorce if it should take place after the waiting period. (The waiting period is a period of waiting in hopes that the couple would reconcile their differences)

And when you divorce women and they have [nearly] fulfilled their term, either retain them according to acceptable terms or release them according to acceptable terms, and do not keep them, intending harm, to transgress [against them]. And whoever does that has certainly wronged himself. And do not take the verses of Allah in jest. And remember the favor of Allah upon you and what has been revealed to you of the Book and wisdom by which He instructs you. And fear Allah and know that Allah is Knowing of all things. [2:231]

And here are some rights of those women:

Let the women live (in 'iddat) in the same style as ye live, according to your means and do not harm them in order to oppress them. And if they should be pregnant, then spend on them until they give birth. And if they breastfeed for you, then give them their payment and confer among yourselves in the acceptable way; but if you are in discord, then there may breastfeed for the father another woman.

Let the man of means spend according to his means: and the man whose resources are restricted, let him spend according to what Allah has given him. Allah puts no burden on any person beyond what He has given him. After a difficulty, Allah will soon grant relief.
                            [65:6-7]

I really tried to condense my reply as much as possible, I just quoted you some of the verses to give you a general idea about divorce in Islam. Hope that was helpful.

Anyway, I was just wondering at what age people become mature in Islam. When are they allowed to marry? And when do they start wearing traditional garb? Like you don't see little girls wearing veils or even long sleeves all the time, from what I've seen. I never really thought about the clothing restrictions for men, but I assume it's something of the same?
                            Puberty. That's when a Muslim is looked at as an adult who has to pray, fast and so on.

Oh, and I'm taking an intro class on Islam next semester. Hoping it will be real intersting.
                            Oh, that is indeed interesting! What made you want to take that class, if I may ask? Also, I'd totally help you out with anything you want. Just let me know if you need any help

Comment

D!!!!!!!!!!!

I wondered where you were!!

random question...do they make like a kids Qu'ran? Christians have these kiddie bibles that sort of skip over or simplify the long, boring and tedious bits and then put the stories and stuff into story book form. Is there anything similar for children?

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=96.msg13757#msg13757 date=1289917944]
                                D!!!!!!!!!!!

I wondered where you were!!

random question...do they make like a kids Qu'ran? Christians have these kiddie bibles that sort of skip over or simplify the long, boring and tedious bits and then put the stories and stuff into story book form. Is there anything similar for children?

[/quote]

Hmmmm

We do have books for children that talk about certain stories in the Qur'an because there are good morals in them. Like I had books called The Stories of the Prophets or Stories from the Qur'an. And in them you'd find things like, Story of Solomon, Story of Moses, Story of Jesus and so on. And sometimes they just focus on stories that might interest children specifically when they include animals and things like that.

But an actual Qur'an for children?

There is no such thing, since if you change a word in the Qur'an it's not the Qur'an anymore. We actually learn the Qur'an and memorize small chapters of it when we are very young. It's easy because most of the time the Qur'an rhymes. On that note, I've seen really small children that have memorized all of the Qur'an!

Comment

Working...
                                X