Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was I being Indoctrinated?! White Wolf cult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was I being Indoctrinated?! White Wolf cult?

Ok, so I have a bit of a story to tell. It comes from my early years of getting into the Occult, leading up to almost a year ago.

It all began when I had begun to open up my mind to accepting that just maybe the Occult/Magic/Deep Spirituality worked, and I had been doing great amounts of research in these fields. I was essentially devouring any information I could get my grubby Magician hands on, eating it up like a starved man at the king's feast. It felt empowering, awesome, cool! I really felt connected to and interested in this stuff! Naturally then, I set out to find like minded people, and since I knew non offline, I started searching the web.

I had become a follower of 4Chan's /x/ board shortly after getting into the occult (I followed it before for the supernatural stuff, but the occult just made it that more appealing and led me to be on it more and more). Well, eventually I asked a question regarding something or other in a post, and got into contact with this guy (we exchanged skype names). We started chatting, going into long (often one sided and vague discussions) about life, the universe, religion, magic, and the like. After some time of talking, eventually I asked if he could "teach me more" and I became his "apprentice."

Now, this was awesome, every time I talked to him, I felt like I was learning more (usually he would go on and on about some topic, then ask me a vague question about it, I give some kind of "sage in training" answer and he commends me for being an amazing student). Admittedly, the advice he gave on focusing energy and meditation were really good (even if I already knew most of what he told me). However, as time went on, he more and more moved our discussions towards this thing he had barely mentioned to me before (this is after he introduced me to a magic user friend of his).

I had been talking to this friend, when she started talking about how she was a "Weaver" and that I seemed like one myself. She refused to tell me more about it, as if it were a grave secret however. Eventually I asked my "mentor" and he told me all about "Weavers, Wyrms, and Wyrds." Apparently from what he said, we all (those of us who he believed were actually living or sentient anyway, he said most people were just dumb puppets where extra spirits lived to just find a vessel, and that telling them about magic made them angry because they couldn't do it). He said people like "him, myself, and his friend" had special souls that represented archetypes.

The Weaver crafted reality using the "webs of fate," the worm ripped apart these webs to create new strands for the Weavers, and the Wyrds watched over it all like a judge of balance. Every time he and his friend spoke about it, I got drawn more and more into, soon I truly believed I was a "Weaver with my purpose in this world to weave reality to tell stories for other people's lives." I then tried convincing one of my friends he was a "Wyrm." I retold him the stories of how we were "chosen" ones who when our work of telling all the stories in the world was done, that the universe would "restart" and we would be freed from our prison on this plane of existence and become our "true forms." This is where the story gets ugly.

He resisted anything I said about this for a long time, already telling me earlier, that it seemed cult-like, but I told him he was being silly! Eventually he broke down and started believing he was a Wyrd, and was special like us. A Wyrm's job was supposed to be violent in a sense (and generally hurt the person who had the job I was later told), and slowly my friend's psyche went to shit. Among us "Special" people, we all developed this second persona that was supposed to be our "true" spirit." The Weaver spirits were supposed to be feminine and angelic. My "Wyrm" friend ended up developing one too, specifically a demon like and evil one. He slowly descended into a state of constant anger and started doing very unkind things, eventually however, he hurt someone emotionally, and it broke the spell for him. He suddenly withdrew from the whole thing, and told me how it had hurt him as well... this in turn drew me out of it very quickly. I talked with my friend for a very long time, and realized all the weird mind "controlling" stuff that had happened to me. I quickly broke away from my "Mentor" and have not spoken to him since, and have regained my relationship with my friend, thankfully.

However, before I withdrew myself, I confronted my "Mentor" about all of this, and he told me everything he got was from a roleplaying wiki called "white-wolf" which is apparently the place where information about the "Old World of Darkness Roleplaying Games" is kept. I looked into this, and it was true, the shit he had talked about was all there... from a roleplaying game. He tried to win me back over, saying the guy who created it filled it with "true magic and legend, and dark symbols of the truth in all things."

Needless to say, I was done with his BS.

After that... I thought I was done with his White-Wolf weirdness, and that it was a "one-time thing" but I later met another Magician who claimed to follow the same ideology (and was completely unrelated to my "mentor") and who swore that the White-Wolf information was near biblical law. They even claimed to have killed someone on accident when performing a ritual from the website with a group they were in (apparently this person was... disintegrated or teleported to a different dimension... by enclosing them in a box of mirrors and saying magic words...?). This just freaked me the fuck out, and I quickly dropped researching the Occult, and broke my contact with Occult individuals.

All in all, I would have never come back to it had it not been for my Patron Deity calling to me, and helping me realize that I had merely been drawn down a wrong road, and that I shouldn't fear all magic. I am now practicing magic again and quite happy... however I still remember those "Dark Days" where a lot of pain and distrust built up.

I guess, if anyone took the time to read this, what I really want to know was, was that really a cult? I personally have come to think it was, and I am not proud to say I was a whole-hearted member of it (in fact, this still eats away at me some-days, and makes me question things about myself). Are there actually people out there using a roleplaying website to create a cult and they are hurting and tricking people? Has anyone else met with these "White-Wolf" worshipers, or does anyone on this site know about "White-Wolf?" I just feel that I never got closure... to the whole thing, and it would be nice to hear what other people have to say.

Thank you for reading, and even more thanks if you reply!

(I am no longer affiliated with this group, so don't give me funny looks please... this was partly to let out my words pertaining to a traumatic time for me, and to try to find answers about what happened ;-; )

Re: Was I being Indoctrinated?! White Wolf cult?

When you mentioned 4Chan I kinda guess where this was going

I am sure there are many people who have used elements from various fictional sources to fabricate themselves a religion.
    White-wolf produced a lot of games, some of them were quite good (Though most roleplay games are only as good as the people you are playing with), their world of darkness stuff was set in a "dark gothic" version of our world, its mythos was hacked together from other peoples fictional work and mixed with elements from real-world religion and esoteric information.

Have I encountered or heard of this group?
    No.
    Have I heard of similar people?
    Yes, every generation churns out people who get obsessed with elements from games/books/movies which they then turn into some pseudo cult to make themselves feel special, its pretty much harmless and most people grow out of it.. Just look at all the people who believe they are vampires/unicorns/werecritters/ etc because they liked and felt drawn to those elements from media they encountered.

Are you sure they were not:
    1: Taking the piss.
    2: Roleplaying?

White-Wolf games mix of fiction and fact did provide a compelling world view, and bits of it have found there way into aspects of some of todays pagan groups and fictional literature (seriously everytime I see clans of vampires, packs of were-wolves I cringe inside).

As to their claims, I'd take those with a pinch of salt. People like to make themselves sound powerful with claims of banishing people, or stories of how they "knew people who did stuff"

Just put it all down to one of lifes adventures, its something you have learnt from.

Comment

I wouldn't say it's a 'cult,' since there's no large group or formal hierarchy, it just sounds like a bunch of kids who weren't able to differentiate between legitimate occult practice and fiction concocted for a roleplaying game (although it probably doesn't help that some of the White Wolf games, the old Mage in particular, borrow a lot from real world occult and magical traditions).

Honestly man, I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage. You were inexperienced and someone mislead you, it happens to a lot of people, just consider it a lesson learned about validating the source of information and not placing blind faith in people just because they sound knowledgeable.

When you mentioned 4Chan I kinda guess where this was going
      Haha, to be fair, I hang out on /x/ occasionally when I'm bored and there are more discussions about legitimate occult topics than you'd expect, buried among the 'spooky monster' stuff and conspiracy theories.

Comment

Joy of Satan, the Nazi-were-cool and gods-are-actually-aliens Satanist "branch". I started from there, although I never really fell for the nazi alien thing. Their web page still has useful information for us Theistic Satanists though. Too bad you suddenly reach a part where it's all too obvious.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Some of the practical stuff on JOS, the meditations etc. are actually legitimate, useful techniques, albeit I'm fairly sure they were ripped from other sources. It's a shame they've contaminated what could otherwise be a decent system with so much nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic discord View Post
            -snip-
            Heh, you are probably right about the group just being overly obsessed, so its good to hear that maybe at its heart it wasn't so much a cult as some strange group. XP

When it comes to whether it was roleplaying or taking the piss, I don't think it was, they all seemed to believe it quite a bit (especially the mentor's friend until I broke her out of it too).

I agree on the cringing part... sometimes I just look and go "why?"

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
            -snip-
            I think I'll go with what's been said already and start trying to see it as a lesson learned, it was really nice to finally talk a bit about it though, and hear that maybe it wasn't so much a "bad" thing as just a silly thing. I guess you have to have a mix between faith and skepticism.

Thank you everyone who responded, you've really helped me feel less worried about this!

Comment

*looks at my pile of White-Wolf RPG books*
              yeah, I'm familiar with them. They make a lot of my favorite games, and I play them pretty regularly... I knew where this was going before you had the big reveal because I've played "Werewolf: the Apocalypse" before.

That being said those people sound INSANE. Either that or they were trolling you extremely hardcore.

I'd say that it sound like a cult-in-the-rough. It was.... Getting there. Either way I'm glad you stopped it. If they were unable to differentiate fantasy from reality, that's unhealthy. White Wolf makes awesome games, but there is a disclaimer in all of their books that you shouldn't take them seriously. I've heard they had some fans that took their stuff too seriously... But never like this. Their disclaimers started getting more sarcastic and angry as they went on (and pretty funny), and I always wondered what was pissing the writers off in the fanbase to do that.

Now I know.
              hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

First off. 4chan? come on.

Secondly they were not a cult. I know a group of WW players they are all insane and cannot separate themselves from the game. The one guy I know who is into it the most has not responded to his real name in six years, has tattoos of himself, on himself and makes his place of work call him by his game name. He does nothing but talk in character at all times, and wear as much in character outfit as he can. Used to go to a local, now shut down, raver club and so on. They are just mentally absorbed into it, some get too far in.

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                  -snip-
                  Heh, I have heard that it is a great Roleplaying series (being a big roleplayer myself, I still want to look into... without believing in it of course : P).

If you had heard this guy go on about the things he did, you'd know he wasn't trolling (or he was the best troll in the world), he and his other dicsiples were legitimately unable to see the difference between White-Wolf and reality. It didn't help that most of the people he preached it to were vulnerable people (the friend of his was a depressed Male to Female transsexual who was looking for escape, others had similar stories).

I'm glad I escaped as well... I have my friend to thank for that, if it wasn't for him I'd probably still be with them thinking I was some sort of demi-god or something.

I kind of want to take a look at those disclaimers now, just to see how it matches up with my experiences! XD

Originally posted by StormBringer View Post
                  -snip-
                  Hey, /x/ actually isn't too bad when a good thread pops up. They actually have a lot of people with good advice (although you wouldn't believe it with all the shit-posting that goes on). You just have to dig to find the gold in the dirt.

On that note... that's scary... :c

I have nothing against people who like to get "into character," hell, I love cosplaying and acting like characters myself from time to time, but to "live" as that character... just that pushes it a little too far.

Now here's what I want to know! There are so many Roleplaying games out there, from Warhammer 40k, to D&D, etc., but what makes White Wolf special in its ability to draw in these people and create strange (and sometimes dangerous) followers? I know it has a lot of mystical stuff in it, but jeeze... so does other Roleplaying games, yet I've never heard of a D&D player doing something like this!

Comment

Originally posted by Unus Mundus View Post
                    Now here's what I want to know! There are so many Roleplaying games out there, from Warhammer 40k, to D&D, etc., but what makes White Wolf special in its ability to draw in these people and create strange (and sometimes dangerous) followers? I know it has a lot of mystical stuff in it, but jeeze... so does other Roleplaying games, yet I've never heard of a D&D player doing something like this!
                    I think it's the LARP aspect that makes it appeal to people. You're not sitting around a board rolling dice and moving little figurines across a playing field - you're acting and interacting. My husband was involved w/a White Wolf group here in Las Vegas. It was pretty big, and the 'dungeonmaster' had his ranch made over into a Vampire-Friendly Bar just for the game. There was even a local DJ who played & who would then recap the rumors & whispers from the game on the air later that night. Some of the people were really 'into' their characters, and other people treated it like a social club kind of thing. Anyone who has a light grasp on reality has the potential of getting sucked too far into a fantasy game, movie, novel, whatever - but RPGs seem to attract more people like that.
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

You know, I can't count how many people I've encountered that have claimed to be something that really pushes my BS-radar (but I try to be understanding and respectful...). I've met dozens of Lilith-encarnates, dark mothers, daughters of Death (as in, the archetypal deity), "weapons," the list goes on and on. That's not even including the otherkin category (which is a topic all to itself, but I'm pretty ambivalent when it comes to otherkin).

The point is, the lore-base may change but there are always going to be people out there who try to convince you that they, and you, are things that you probably aren't for whatever reason. My theory is that it's a kind of self-brainwashing technique (drawing connections to yourself from other sources that may be there or may simply be coincidence). I would consider it a life lesson and move on, be happy you got out before any permanent damage was caused and you are clearly wiser for the experience.

Comment

I know a number of people that belong to what the hubby and I call the LARP Tradition of Paganism. People that take their "I'm a Level 20 DragonMaster" a wee bit too seriously, and then seek to find themselves people to mentor. I've seen (and in some cases "rescued" more than one newbie Pagan from people like this. And, its not (at least for most times) that I think people are doing this maliciously, but because they've bought their own PR. But, if you are someone new and you get caught up by these people, its not your fault...you really don't know better yet, and if you are looking for that *something*, its easy to buy into it. Chalk it up to a learning experience...but I wouldn't consider it a cult so much as a con...a con by people that have conned themselves too.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                          Joy of Satan, the Nazi-were-cool and gods-are-actually-aliens Satanist "branch". I started from there, although I never really fell for the nazi alien thing. Their web page still has useful information for us Theistic Satanists though. Too bad you suddenly reach a part where it's all too obvious.
                          ^This was my "cult" experience, too. Unfortunately, I fell for the nazi alien thing and like the OP of the topic, it changed me into who I wasn't. I wasn't in it for too long though, only three months and after I got out of it, I tried rebuilding myself.

Though this probably answers nothing for the OP but I kinda understand where the OP is coming from in a way since I've been through it. I tend to see it as a lesson learned and just try to bring myself back to myself? That probably answers nothing, I'm sorry.
                          Wild Witchy Dusk | TwitterMy Art Blog | My Deviantart

Comment

Originally posted by LuciaStar View Post
                            ^This was my "cult" experience, too. Unfortunately, I fell for the nazi alien thing and like the OP of the topic, it changed me into who I wasn't. I wasn't in it for too long though, only three months and after I got out of it, I tried rebuilding myself.

Though this probably answers nothing for the OP but I kinda understand where the OP is coming from in a way since I've been through it. I tend to see it as a lesson learned and just try to bring myself back to myself? That probably answers nothing, I'm sorry.
                            Don't apologize! I mean, I don't like hearing that this has happened to others, but its also sort of nice to know that we are not alone and that we can indeed rebuild! *hugs*

Comment

Well I haven't even done any of this role-playing stuff, and I haven't come across the White Wolf thingy either. But there are always going to people out there who talk bollocks.
                              Some do it because they are showing off.
                              Some want to seem cleverer than they really are.
                              Some believe it and are passing on something they believe to be true in good faith.
                              And some are just bollock-brains.

Don't feel badly that you were taken in, because you learned a very important lesson in the process. And best of luck for the future.
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                              X